Unsolved Hard drive recovery...

• Thread starter TLRxModzZ
  • Start date
  • Views 240
T

TLRxModzZ

Noob programmer/RGH support/Host
Reaction score
Ok basically my laptop packed up / grew legs and ran into a wall now I've got important files on there I would like to recover, I tried turning it on and plugging the hdmi in to use as external screen but even though it turns on nothing happens.
So my question is since I ripped the guts out of this laptop I've found the hard drive, is it possible to connect it to my other computer and extract documents and files ? Also once it's done can it be formatted and used as a external hdd for my Xbox one ?
Cheers.

H

Habofro

PC Enthusiast
Retired
Reaction score
Yes, simply connect the HDD to a different PC and you should be able to recover your files

T

TLRxModzZ

Reaction score
Yes, simply connect the HDD to a different PC and you should be able to recover your files
Would a standard 15-7 pin adapter to two usb be fine ?

H

HumphreyMax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
a USB to SATA connector will work find if you boot from USB. The alternative is to boot another computer, connect the HDD while on and access it as an external HDD. 
Also keep in mind, sometimes Windows really loves to just be dumb about stuff and say "access denied". I found that when I got that error I just fired up my Linux box and did what I wanted to begin with in the same manner, by using it as an external HDD. Linux won't throw up those stupid barriers.

T

TLRxModzZ

Reaction score
a USB to SATA connector will work find if you boot from USB. The alternative is to boot another computer, connect the HDD while on and access it as an external HDD. 
Also keep in mind, sometimes Windows really loves to just be dumb about stuff and say "access denied". I found that when I got that error I just fired up my Linux box and did what I wanted to begin with in the same manner, by using it as an external HDD. Linux won't throw up those stupid barriers.
Well all I really want to do is grab a few docs from it then format it and use as a external hdd for my Xbox 1 just I really want these docs will be a pain if I loose them !

H

HumphreyMax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Then the USB to SATA connector should work fine. I've used mine in the past when I had issues. I keep one on hand at all times now just in case things happen. Most of my equipment is going M.2 or built in SSD these days though.

Top Bottom