Hard drive issues please help!!

Discussion in 'PC Support Archive' started by Calamity, Dec 6, 2008 with 5 replies and 106 views.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calamity

Calamity Script Kitty Retired

Ratings:
    So. I have a couple year old 250 GB 8mb cache Western Digital IDE hard drive.

I have about 230 Gigabytes full of games, movies, music, and random other stuff.

Now, all of the sudden out of the blue it is SLOW as crap, earlier it wouldn't want to do a thing and would never respond.

So now, when I logged in, it wouldn't load up, and I'm afraid to mess with it so it won't die like my last harddrive :frown:

2. JoeMal

JoeMal Retired Retired

Ratings:
    If you have another computer, put your bad drive's jumper on the SLAVE setting and put it in another computer on a secondary IDE cable or on the secondary slot on your primary cable. Boot Windows on that machine, and if it's not totally toast you may be able to see your data

3. OP
    Calamity

Ratings:
    Ah..the connecting was off, but it is still VERY slow and sometimes does not respond.

This is just my storage Hard drive as well, main one is a SATA.

Like for instance, I go into the Movies folder, like 40gigs or so of movies, and it will take like 30 seconds to load, when it used to take like 5..

EDIT,,I just looked in other folders, and it was fine? But the Movies folder will take forever..

4. MyS!ze

MyS!ze Enthusiast

Ratings:
    this is still happening with me. sometimes when i try to open a file from it, it takes forever to open.

5. OP
    Calamity

Ratings:
    idk but I think I have something bad with harddrives, this is my second one that's failed, and it was screwing up reading movies off of it.

6. confused5

confused5 Enthusiast

Ratings:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.