Hard Drive failure?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware & Builds' started by QWEEWQAZ, Feb 2, 2009 with 8 replies and 172 views.

1. QWEEWQAZ

QWEEWQAZ Getting There

Ratings:
    Hey guys, my computer has been freezin after I log on. If I dont move my mouse everything will lock up and I would have to manualy restart. If I move my mouse around for about 30 seconds after I put in my password it usually doesn't freeze. Some of my start up programs haven't been loading.

I'm pretty sure this is failure but is there any sort of program that can tell me whats up? I don't want to reinstall my os. Should I go out a buy a new drive immedatly? How can I back up all my data and transfer it to a new drive and use the new drive as my primary?

thx

2. OP
    QWEEWQAZ

QWEEWQAZ Getting There

Ratings:
    urgentness. My hard drive has been working, maybe Im lucky. It still freezes. Could it be a driver problem or something? It has been making clicky noises but Idk if thats normal because all the recordings of others noises are different and way longer. Help

3. Madman340

Madman340 Seasoned Member

Ratings:
    Sounds like a virus or failure. I'd go ahead and get a flash drive, and put the most important files to you on there.

Run any scans?

4. OP
    QWEEWQAZ

QWEEWQAZ Getting There

Ratings:
    I did a hdd scan on boot that took awhile and that's a Microsoft thing that is suposto detect bad sectors or something like that and I guess it was clean. I'm pretty sure my hdd is clean of viruses but Ill run a scan tonight.

The problem with the flash drive is that I have 20gb of music and I don't want to redownload. Same with my games. My personal stuff is music. Ill steal the hdd out of my moms computer and put all the vitals on it later I guess.

5. Madman340

Madman340 Seasoned Member

Ratings:
    Or just use one of those virtual drives that I think Google has... I don't remember how much space they have though.

Or just use your mom's HD. w/e works.

6. itzmeluigi

itzmeluigi Premium Premium

Ratings:
    hmm there can be a few things causing it. can you list your pc specs? it does sound like a virus. i would run a full scan on avast home edition for a few just to see if its picks anything up just to be sure.

7. OP
    QWEEWQAZ

QWEEWQAZ Getting There

Ratings:
  8. theroach

theroach Gewinator Premium

Ratings:
    If it is just locking up and freezing dont just assume its a hdd failure. What ram and how many sticks are you using? Re-download all your motherboard drivers. Start there for sure. Definatly start backing up your stuff though. A virus scan is a great idea. Just start trouble shooting. I would start with drivers right off though. You running vista or xp?

9. itzmeluigi

itzmeluigi Premium Premium

Ratings:
    oh you have a 780i, if your using the 2 side ports push them in a bit and push down on top of the 2 sata ports on the board. cause on some boards they push up and make the sata ports unstable. Make sure you you load your bios defualts to. have you done any overclocking?