Discussion Halo 4 Rank Explanation/ Max Rank Explanation

Void Howling

Enthusiast
Reaction score
- Start Thread

As I have seen this asked many times before, well, here it is.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*First, note that there will be implemented early 2013, a "Skill Rank System" similar to 1-50 to rank you with players comparable to you.

**Secondly if I missed something feel free to add, this is supposed to be helpful, not critical for arguments.

***failman94 Noted that there was a XP cap between 150k and 200k XP per day. This is just something to note because you can't rank up unlimited in one day.

**** Anything here subject to change.

- Begin Explanation
~The current highest rank/level in the game, Halo 4, is Spartan Rank 130. You begin your Spartan Career as SR 1 ,a novice rank, with the Assault Rifle, Magnum, and Flag Grenade unlocked. As you advance through the early ranks you receive "Spartan Points" for each level you reach in the game. These points can then be spent on unlocking weapons, or armor abilities, armor, etc. As you progress through ranks, you also unlock slots for the armor abilities and extra load out spots. By the time you reach SR 28, ( I believe) you will have unlocked all the weapons and armor abilities, etc in the game. However, you will be unable to buy everything until you met SR-50.

How do you progress through ranks? Completing games in War Games, Spartan Ops, Forge, Custom Games, or completing a Commendation, finishing Waypoint goals, and doing daily, weekly, and monthly challenges all contribute to your XP bar, henceforth ranking you up.

You then advance to SR-50. Well, what happens after that? Well, at SR 50, you then get to pick one of the eight "Specialization Paths". Each Specialization path has 10 SR ranks each, for a total of 80 Specialization ranks, and 50 "regular" ranks, total being 130.

Each "Specialization Path" will take roughly the same time as making it from SR 40- SR 50. First note that once you pick a Specialization Path, you will have to stay on that Specialization Path until you complete that path. For example, you cannot reach the first rank in a Specialization Path, then switch over and reach the first rank in all the other paths, then come back, and reach the second rank on all of the paths. You must stay on one path until completed.

Note that players who did not pre-order the game and get the premium copies or etc. will only have access to two of the eight specialization paths on launch day, with the remaining 6 being unlocked as the Halo 4 community reaches certain milestones, like Reach did with their ranks. Players who pre-ordered the game will have access to all 8 specialization paths, and will not have to wait until the Community Milestones are met to advance through the remaining 6 paths. Each Path has its own armor skins and armor you can unlock with each path. [Edit : "An email sent on October 15, 2012 states that Standard Edition Halo 4 owners who play the game while connected to Xbox LIVE by November 20, 2012 (two weeks after release) will receive early access as well."]

So what happens when you reach the max rank? Well, 343i hinted at the fact that you may "get a thing or two for those dedicated players who reach SR-130!" Does this mean the Haunted Helmet like in Reach? Or is it something else? At this time, nobody knows.

As a highlight to all of this, here is the review of the most important things to remember :

- There are 130 ranks in Halo 4
- There are 50 "Regular" ranks, and 80 Specialization Path ranks.
- There are 8 Specialization Paths, with 10 ranks in each path
- Each Specialization Rank has its own weapon skins, armor, etc to get
- Each Path will take roughly as much time as going through SR 40 - SR 50 again.
- You earn XP by playing War Games, Custom Games, Forge, Spartan Ops, Commendation Completion, Waypoint Goals, and Daily, Weekly, and Monthly Challenges
-With each rank you get, you gain SP (Spartan Points) to use to buy weapons, armor abilities, etc.~

-End Explanation
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hope this helps a little to clear things up or to help any questions on ranking up, or any questions on Specialization Paths.

Question by Hardstyle 7s "How do you unlock Specializations?"

Answer :

Specialization ranks are automatically unlocked upon reaching SR 50, you get to choose your Specialization path You will not be able to unlock the paths until SR 50, they are just "there", you can see them, but they are un-lockable until SR 50, unto which you will unlock all paths available to you on the screen.

However, players who did not pre-order the game, or some other form of special ordering, will only be able to access two of the 8 paths upon reaching SR 50.

Players who pre-ordered the game will be able to pick ANY of the 8 paths upon reaching SR 50, and will NOT have to wait until the Halo 4 Community reaches certain Milestones to continue in their rank progression. [Edit : "An email sent on October 15, 2012 states that Standard Edition Halo 4 owners who play the game while connected to Xbox LIVE by November 20, 2012 (two weeks after release) will receive early access as well."]

For players who didn't preorder the game, as soon as the remaining 6 become available, the only pre-requirement is to have SR 50. You will be able to access all remaining 6 paths automatically, just like the first 2. However, remember, if you are on one path you MUST complete the path before choosing another path.

- End Thread

Last edited:

Void Howling

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do you unlock specializations?
Specialization ranks are automatically unlocked upon reaching SR 50, you get to choose your Specialization path You will not be able to unlock the paths until SR 50, they are just "there", you can see them, but they are un-lockable until SR 50, unto which you will unlock all paths available to you on the screen.

However, players who did not pre-order the game, or some other form of special ordering, will only be able to access two of the 8 paths upon reaching SR 50.

Players who pre-ordered the game will be able to pick ANY of the 8 paths upon reaching SR 50, and will NOT have to wait until the Halo 4 Community reaches certain Milestones to continue in their rank progression.

For players who didn't preorder the game, as soon as the remaining 6 become available, the only pre-requirement is to have SR 50. You will be able to access all remaining 6 paths automatically, just like the first 2. However, remember, if you are on one path you MUST complete the path before choosing another path.

I will put that up there in the description. Thanks very much for the question.

Hardstyle 7s

Contributor
Reaction score

Players who pre-ordered the game will be able to pick ANY of the 8 paths upon reaching SR 50, and will NOT have to wait until the Halo 4 Community reaches certain Milestones to continue in their rank progression.

I will put that up there in the description. Thanks very much for the question.
Thank you yeah i got a pre-order code of someone so i have all 8 so i just have to get to sr 50 im already half way through so :smile:

Sir CharIes

•VIP•
Reaction score
I have a question.

To take advantage of preordering, which specializations are the ones that are currently exclusive to preorder buyers?

failman94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great post! Also might be important to add that 343i already stated that each 10 ranks after sR-50 in the specializations will be roughly the same exp requirement as sR-40 to sR-50, this means 50-60 is similar to 40-50 is similar to 60-70 is similar to 70-80.... etc.... Plus you should note that there is an exp cap somewhere between 150k exp and 200k exp from what I have gathered so far. Cheers!

Void Howling

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a question.

To take advantage of preordering, which specializations are the ones that are currently exclusive to preorder buyers?
Wetworks, and Pioneer are available at launch.

Engineer, Tracker, Rouge, Stalker, Pathfinder, and Operator are the 6 other specialization paths players who pre-ordered can take advantage of.

Void Howling

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great post! Also might be important to add that 343i already stated that each 10 ranks after sR-50 in the specializations will be roughly the same exp requirement as sR-40 to sR-50, this means 50-60 is similar to 40-50 is similar to 60-70 is similar to 70-80.... etc.... Plus you should note that there is an exp cap somewhere between 150k exp and 200k exp from what I have gathered so far. Cheers!
"Each "Specialization Path" will take roughly the same time as making it from SR 40- SR 50."

I explained that. Meaning "Each" being 50-60, will take the same time as 40-50, and 60-70 will take the same time, and again and again.

But I had no idea there was a XP cap! Thanks!

Kebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So is it just people that preordered the game or people that play before november 20th online? Because if i remember that email that people received earlier stating that if you had the game and played before then you would also get the eight specializations.

Void Howling

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So is it just people that preordered the game or people that play before november 20th online? Because if i remember that email that people received earlier stating that if you had the game and played before then you would also get the eight specializations.
I am currently making a separate thread specifically for the Specializations, but yes, anyone who has the "Standard Edition of Halo 4 and play on X-Box LIVE will unlock the 6 remaining paths on November 20th, two weeks after release"

Alex

chazbae
Retired
Reaction score
My sister just picked up my copy of Halo 4, it was meant to be my day off work until someone called in sick. Can't wait to get home and get cracking.

Void Howling

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My sister just picked up my copy of Halo 4, it was meant to be my day off work until someone called in sick. Can't wait to get home and get cracking.
Haha. Your sister is such a kind girl. If only she knew.... Shes giving you the game that will keep you occupied and not talking to her for hours.... Hehehe. >:smile:

Void Howling

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Launched my new thread. :smile:

Alex

chazbae
Retired
Reaction score
Haha. Your sister is such a kind girl. If only she knew.... Shes giving you the game that will keep you occupied and not talking to her for hours.... Hehehe. >:smile:
Mate my sisters and my dad are hardcore gamers, they game more than me. One sister sits playing COD, Borderlands and NFS and the other is hooked on Skyrim with my mum. My dad plays far too much Gears and Halo.

Void Howling

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mate my sisters and my dad are hardcore gamers, they game more than me. One sister sits playing COD, Borderlands and NFS and the other is hooked on Skyrim with my mum. My dad plays far too much Gears and Halo.
I see haha. Quite ironic indeed. Glad your family is a gaming family though. Haha.

Alex

chazbae
Retired
Reaction score
I see haha. Quite ironic indeed. Glad your family is a gaming family though. Haha.
I'm not, I had to block communications with my dad because instead of calling me downstairs he would spam me with messages to wash the dishes/let the dogs out etc.

Void Howling

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not, I had to block communications with my dad because instead of calling me downstairs he would spam me with messages to wash the dishes/let the dogs out etc.
That's the most stupidest / coolest way to get called downstairs xD

Top Bottom