What's new

Discussion Halo 3 HUD Desktop

Noupoi

Noupoi

Contributor
Reaction score
Sin$
Not sure where this would go but still quite awesome.
From: http://lifehacker.com/5297193/the-halo-3-hud-desktop

3642112110_5849636bf6_b.jpg
Reader rykennedyan's desktop is an impressive recreation of a first-person view from the popular Halo FPS shooter—with system stats and information completely blended into the desktop.
The desktop is created entirely with customized Rainmeter configurations sitting on top of a Halo 3 wallpaper. Here's his overview of the configuration:

• Grenades - Each grenade launches a specific application. I currently have them set to, from left to right, Pidgin, Steam, Foobar, and Firefox.
  • Power Drainer - Opens a Shutdown menu. You can choose Shutdown, Restart, and Sleep
  • Health Bar - Displays current track progress, with artist and title above it.
  • Battle Rifle and Ammo Count - Displays current unread message count from Gmail and the Battlerifle opens Gmail.
  • Ammo Clip - Top clip is download traffic; bottom clip is upload traffic.
  • Radar - As of now, all this does is download and save an image for the local radar from Weather Underground. I'm currently editing a GIMP script which will automatically crop and edit the picture to display properly upon download. What you see here is the intended look. It also displays the current temperature.
  • Time and Game Type - Display current time and date.
  • Blue Score and Red Score - Display current CPU and RAM usage.
  • Player Callsigns - These behave just like my TweetScanner skin.
  • Battlerifle Ammo Count - Displays current battery status; it displays 0 in this picture because I'm using my desktop which is not on a battery.
  • Also, the visor outline is done in Rainmeter as well.
The result is a refreshingly, impressively unique desktop. Great job, rykennedyan!
Want to make your own customized desktop? You can get started creating your own killer desktop with the easy-install Enigma 2.0 package, and then join up with the Lifehacker Desktop Customization Google Group to collaborate on ideas and contribute code snippets and advanced techniques.
Once you've created your own beautifully tweaked (and hopefully productive) desktop, post it over in the Lifehacker Desktop Show and Tell Flickr Group complete with a description of the programs and tweaks you used (and preferably links as well!), and we just might feature it here.

Top Bottom
Login
Register