What's new

Half of My Programs Will No Longer Open?!

• Thread starter Awakening
  • Start date
  • Views 2,138
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

TTGAwakening

The Poxleitner
Grammar Nazi Platinum Record Stickied
Reaction score
Sin$
For about a week now, almost none of the programs that I've always been modding with will no longer open (e.g. Horizon, XTD Viewer, etc). So far, I've received a CLR error and a "BLAHBLAH has stopped working" error. I used to get the CLR error with Horizon until I installed the .NET Frameworkk XNA 4.0 *** suggested on another site, but to no avail. Now I just get the error message that the program has stopped working for both (and many more) programs and the reason is an "APPCRASH." I've also tried deleting and reinstalling the programs and reinstalling the .NET 4.5 with a reboot for each, but neither changed anything.
Whenever I run the programs and monitor them in the task manager, both of them (and obviously more programs as well) go up to 1mil+ bytes of memory! My computer will lag very badly for around a minute or two until it will give the error and close the program.
Is there any way I can fix this? :oops:

I'm running Windows Vista 32-bit if that helps any. If you need any more information, just ask.

Psycho Homer

Psycho Homer

VIP
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
First open a few of your programs and have them crash on you. Then follow this.
1. Press Start
2. At the bottom where is says "Start Search" (You may also have a button that says "Run") type "eventvwr" no quotes and press enter.
3. On the left expand the entry labeled "Windows Logs"
4. Select "Application"

This will give you a list of all the errors that are happening on the computer. The most recent ones should be from your programs crashing. Reply back here with the "Source" and "Event ID". Please also post whatever details it gives you in the main General details box at the bottom.

A

TTGAwakening

The Poxleitner
Reaction score
Sin$

All this ended up doing was resetting my boot screen and login-screen images back to default as far as I know. The programs still do exactly the same as they were. Thanks for trying though. It's rare to find that here usually :wink:

First open a few of your programs and have them crash on you. Then follow this.
1. Press Start
2. At the bottom where is says "Start Search" (You may also have a button that says "Run") type "eventvwr" no quotes and press enter.
3. On the left expand the entry labeled "Windows Logs"
4. Select "Application"

This will give you a list of all the errors that are happening on the computer. The most recent ones should be from your programs crashing. Reply back here with the "Source" and "Event ID". Please also post whatever details it gives you in the main General details box at the bottom.

Oh my, what to say first.

Well, I opened up the program, and there was no tree directory thing on the side. All it said was "*SOMETHING* (local)" and showed one error message on the screen that was already opened. I checked all the drop-down menus--everything on the program; there was no more options to further explore. It then started glitching up actually, my computer started extremely lagging, and then after a minute or so of lag, my computer just blue screened (which is my second ever blue screen on this computer, and the first one was forever ago). I didn't have time to catch the information that was written on the BSoD though, as it shut down my PC pretty fast. Now that I booted back up, it won't even open anymore. It does the same exact thing as the problem I've already stated above--nothing different to the problem. . . exactly the same. So whatever you wanted me to do in there, yeah, not possible any longer. I even tried booting the programs in safe mode and safe mode with networking with no luck.

Is there anything else I could do?
Regedit still works. . . could I possibly do something with my registry to fix the problem?

Psycho Homer

Psycho Homer

VIP
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Check "C:\Windows" to see if a folder called "Minidump". If there is a file inside that was created today please upload to a site like Mediafire and post the link here. If not please follow this tutorial to enable small memory dumps and upload the file is a BSOD happens again.

Bar Starred

Bar Starred

Contributor
Grammar Nazi Grizzled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
All this ended up doing was resetting my boot screen and login-screen images back to default as far as I know. The programs still do exactly the same as they were. Thanks for trying though. It's rare to find that here usually :wink:

Oh my, what to say first.

Well, I opened up the program, and there was no tree directory thing on the side. All it said was "*SOMETHING* (local)" and showed one error message on the screen that was already opened. I checked all the drop-down menus--everything on the program; there was no more options to further explore. It then started glitching up actually, my computer started extremely lagging, and then after a minute or so of lag, my computer just blue screened (which is my second ever blue screen on this computer, and the first one was forever ago). I didn't have time to catch the information that was written on the BSoD though, as it shut down my PC pretty fast. Now that I booted back up, it won't even open anymore. It does the same exact thing as the problem I've already stated above--nothing different to the problem. . . exactly the same. So whatever you wanted me to do in there, yeah, not possible any longer. I even tried booting the programs in safe mode and safe mode with networking with no luck.

Is there anything else I could do?
Regedit still works. . . could I possibly do something with my registry to fix the problem?
I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and suggest you try troubleshooting your RAM & harddrive. Maybe your RAM is unseated, maybe it's just faulty. Maybe your HDD has bad sectors, maybe it's faulty. IMHO, that is where I would start troubleshooting.

A

TTGAwakening

The Poxleitner
Reaction score
Sin$
I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and suggest you try troubleshooting your RAM & harddrive. Maybe your RAM is unseated, maybe it's just faulty. Maybe your HDD has bad sectors, maybe it's faulty. IMHO, that is where I would start troubleshooting.

Well, what would you suggest I do to do that? I mean, it's a 2008 Compaq Prestario desktop PC, and I've never upgraded anything inside of it, so that could be a problem considering how old the hardware is. I'm not familiar at all with hardware though so if you could help me out with that--that'd be great:biggrin:

Check "C:\Windows" to see if a folder called "Minidump". If there is a file inside that was created today please upload to a site like Mediafire and post the link here. If not please follow this tutorial to enable small memory dumps and upload the file is a BSOD happens again.

The folder is empty. I also have hidden files enabled as well, so I know for sure it is empty :oops:

D1G1TAL

D1G1TAL

║▌││║▌║││║▌│║║│▌ ɴзтшøяkзđ
Hardened Veteran Modder Stickied
Reaction score
Sin$
For about a week now, almost none of the programs that I've always been modding with will no longer open (e.g. Horizon, XTD Viewer, etc). So far, I've received a CLR error and a "BLAHBLAH has stopped working" error. I used to get the CLR error with Horizon until I installed the .NET Frameworkk XNA 4.0 *** suggested on another site, but to no avail. Now I just get the error message that the program has stopped working for both (and many more) programs and the reason is an "APPCRASH." I've also tried deleting and reinstalling the programs and reinstalling the .NET 4.5 with a reboot for each, but neither changed anything.
Whenever I run the programs and monitor them in the task manager, both of them (and obviously more programs as well) go up to 1mil+ bytes of memory! My computer will lag very badly for around a minute or two until it will give the error and close the program.
Is there any way I can fix this? :oops:

I'm running Windows Vista 32-bit if that helps any. If you need any more information, just ask.

Sup man. An "AppCrash" usually happens when a certain application is incompatible with your computer based from the amount of memory and space you may have or when your computer is under a lot of stress (multiple open browser tabs, multiple open applications, etc.) and if your computer doesn't have enough memory to support a lot of tasks it will eventually give you this error and at times it will give you the Blue Screen of Death (BSoD) but in this case it just uses a lot of your process and makes your computer run slow. This is because once you get the error message stating that the application has to close, Windows will keep it running in the background attempting to find fix it and this is where your processes start slowing down your computer.

Don't edit anything from your system registry bud. There aren't any keys in there that pertain to these errors. Before you do anything else, run the System File Checker and if it finds any corrupted file it will automatically fix it:

1). Click Start > Search > type: cmd and when the Command Prompt icon appears in the search results, right click on it and select "Run as Administrator."

2). Type: sfc /scannow (This will start the System File Checker)
3). If the checker couldn't fix the corrupted files it will prompt you to use your Windows Vista 32-bit installation disc and it will fix the files for you using the replacement files within the disc.

Let me know the results man.

A

TTGAwakening

The Poxleitner
Reaction score
Sin$

Somebody above already suggested that. The only thing that I found that it changed was the boot image and the logon screen image that I've changed forever ago.

And I've tried opening these programs in safe mode with networking and just in safe mode, they still do the same exact thing when monitoring them in the task manager.

Is there anything else I could try?

A

TTGAwakening

The Poxleitner
Reaction score
Sin$

I just got the BSoD again for the third time ever, two of which happening yesterday and today.

For some reason the logs aren't showing up in the folder: Windows/minidump/ . . .

I was able to catch something about memory at the bottom of the blue screen from yesterday though, if that narrows anything down?

I'm not sure how many blue screens would have that at the bottom, so I'm not sure.

I hope that helps some o_O

And thanks for you guys' help so far! :biggrin:

DirtyBear

Bear De Rukus

What does this do?
Services Grizzled Veteran Gifter
Reaction score
Sin$
This seems like a RAM issue to me.
Go to your Start Menu, Then right-click "My Computer", Click properties and look at how much RAM you got.

I don't know of this is the problem but it is a possibility.

A

TTGAwakening

The Poxleitner
Reaction score
Sin$
This seems like a RAM issue to me.
Go to your Start Menu, Then right-click "My Computer", Click properties and look at how much RAM you got.

I don't know of this is the problem but it is a possibility.

I have 2Gb of RAM. . .

D1G1TAL

D1G1TAL

Reaction score
Sin$
I just got the BSoD again for the third time ever, two of which happening yesterday and today.

For some reason the logs aren't showing up in the folder: Windows/minidump/ . . .

I was able to catch something about memory at the bottom of the blue screen from yesterday though, if that narrows anything down?

I'm not sure how many blue screens would have that at the bottom, so I'm not sure.

I hope that helps some o_O

And thanks for you guys' help so far! :biggrin:

Do you remember what was the last program you installed/uninstalled before this issue started? Also, have you tried a System Restore and restore your computer to a previous date?

Try Disk Cleanup:
1). Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup.
2). It will ask you which drive you'd like to clean so choose C:\
3). It will scan and load the results of items to be cleaned. Check all the boxes and click Ok.
4). If you didn't get a BSoD from this then go ahead and run Disk Defragmenter. Perform the same steps as above but instead of Disk Cleanup just click on Disk Defragmenter.

5). Click Analyze and afterwards Defrag your computer. It may take some time but it's worth it.

Try these as well:
1). Uninstall programs that you no longer use to clear up space on your harddrive.
2). Open your current antivirus application, update it and run a complete system scan.

Let us know the results man.

Psycho Homer

Psycho Homer

VIP
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
If you are willing/able to install a program like TeamViewer I can try to remotely assist you if you like.

A

TTGAwakening

The Poxleitner
Reaction score
Sin$
Do you remember what was the last program you installed/uninstalled before this issue started? Also, have you tried a System Restore and restore your computer to a previous date?

Try Disk Cleanup:
1). Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup.
2). It will ask you which drive you'd like to clean so choose C:\
3). It will scan and load the results of items to be cleaned. Check all the boxes and click Ok.
4). If you didn't get a BSoD from this then go ahead and run Disk Defragmenter. Perform the same steps as above but instead of Disk Cleanup just click on Disk Defragmenter.

5). Click Analyze and afterwards Defrag your computer. It may take some time but it's worth it.

Try these as well:
1). Uninstall programs that you no longer use to clear up space on your harddrive.
2). Open your current antivirus application, update it and run a complete system scan.

Let us know the results man.

I do all of those about twice a week.

The disk cleanup and defragmentation is done with Tuneup Utilities, I REALLY went through and deleted everything that is useless and unwanted on my computer about two weeks ago, a complete virus scan is done twice-a-day.

:eek:

D1G1TAL

D1G1TAL

Reaction score
Sin$
I do all of those about twice a week.

The disk cleanup and defragmentation is done with Tuneup Utilities, I REALLY went through and deleted everything that is useless and unwanted on my computer about two weeks ago, a complete virus scan is done twice-a-day.

:eek:

Ok cool man. So now are you only getting the blue screens or the AppCrash errors or both? If you got the AppCrash error messsage do you remember what it said? I apologize for the questions bud, I just need to find out how is your system acting now so that I can give you the correct troubleshooting steps.

A

TTGAwakening

The Poxleitner
Reaction score
Sin$
Ok cool man. So now are you only getting the blue screens or the AppCrash errors or both? If you got the AppCrash error messsage do you remember what it said? I apologize for the questions bud, I just need to find out how is your system acting now so that I can give you the correct troubleshooting steps.

Well, I got another BSoD yesterday, and I actually got all of my .NET frameworks uninstalled and now the setups to reinstall them give me an AppCrash right after it's done preparing the last file .-.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom
Login
Register