GTA San Andreas on Linux - How do I get it to work with Emulators?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by Dotmonkey, Nov 10, 2008 with 15 replies and 4,047 views.

1. Dotmonkey

Dotmonkey Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Well, I have struggled to get this to work properly.

Not only that, but I am trying to get SA-MP to work with Linux as well.

GTA installs, but does not play for some reason.

I am using Wine. The newest version. Not the new beta though.

2. Ibdc

Ibdc Retired Retired

Ratings:
    What emulator are you using?

Make sure you aren't just directly trying to open GTA, you probably have to open the emulator then open GTA with it.

3. OP
    Dotmonkey

Dotmonkey Enthusiast

Ratings:
    I am using Wine. I go into the Wine program and Open it first, and when It loads it crashes.

4. Michael Allison

Michael Allison Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Wait, what? You're using Wine to emulate a 360 game? Or you're using a Windows 360 emulator through Wine? In which case, just get a Linux emulator, I'm pretty sure they have one for the 360... right? It's been a while since I used Linux or emulated big console games, but yeah.

Oh, I've just been informed by Gabe I have no idea what I'm talking about: it's not even a 360 game? Try emulating the XBOX version, not the PC version, with an XBOX emulator!

5. OP
    Dotmonkey

Dotmonkey Enthusiast

Ratings:
    What are you talking about? I'm talking about Grand Theft Auto San Andreas for PC... :huh:

Also, where could I get the Xbox Version and a Xbox Emulator?!?! :w00t:

6. Ibdc

Ibdc Retired Retired

Ratings:
    [Click here to view the link]

PCSX2 is a PS2 emulator that apparently runs well through wine. I'd imagine you'd need to find an ISO of the PS2 version, which has to be out there somewhere, but I can't post it here.

7. OP
    Dotmonkey

Dotmonkey Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Anyways, back on Topic. I still have some trouble with it. I read the Bug reports, but for some reason, I get something different...

I think I am going to download the new Beta Version of Wine instead of using the 1.3.3 or something like that.

I'll try that out and if that doesn't work then I will just go and find a XP Boot Disk ISO.

8. Michael Allison

Ratings:
    You know there are [Click here to view the link] for Linux, so you don't need to use Wine? Get the game from a friend, or rent it and then rip it to your PC.

Also: sorry I thought it was a 360 game at first. I don't play Grand Theft Auto, because it sucks.

Don't play PC games on Linux. Honestly, Linux isn't for gaming. Using Wine to emulate Windows software on Linux is just stupid. Let's use an operating system designed for max productivity, and then make sure we're as unproductive as possible. It's called dual-booting.

This comment doesn't count for emulation, as emulation can actually be more smooth on Linux, because of it's general superior abilities. Since it's an emulator for something that's not for any operating system specifically in the first place, it's simply left to which operating system runs the emulator best. One assumes when you're emulating, you don't have the original console readily available. However, PC games are written for PCs, ergo will run fastest on a PC.

9. OP
    Dotmonkey

Dotmonkey Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Rofl, you don't get it. You can't install PC games just right off the disk onto your Linux. It just doesn't work that way. Windows games use specific .dll files that start the ;main script to start up programs. Which Linux does not have, because it does not use .dll

Emulating is the only possible way I know how to run these programs atm. I am just trying to get it to work properly. Cedega is a rip-off to me because you get a free OS and they want you to pay for software that will work just as well as the Free Program "Wine" just as well or better. The only problem I have is that I need to design a plugin or make a program that will update windows.dll files onto Linux in a seperate folder that will not harm the OS. For say a Partiton that only programs can access. I'm not saying that it would work or I am going to put my time into it, but I could give it a shot.

Anyways, I just got a couple sources and I posted it in my Forums:

Please use the following Tutorials:

Code:
    Cedega: [URL="http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/wiwimod/index.php?page=HOWTO+GTA+SA"]linuX-gamers.net - Howtos - GTA San Andreas with Cedega[/URL]

Wine: [URL]http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=3780[/URL]
    Wine Video: [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWjMFaLEzIY"]YouTube - GTA SA SAN ADREAS WINE UBUNTU 8.04[/URL]
    [code]NOTE: GTA SA lags a little in Wine.
    Source Installation (Advanced Users Only):
    Link: [Click here to view the link]

Note: When using Emulators, the Textures (Grass, Concrete, Etc) will be Mis-Matched and out of place in some areas.

I am still trying to find a way to get SA-MP and/or MTA to work on Linux.[/code]

This is are the sourced I am using but none seem to work. Any tips?

10. Ibdc

Ibdc Retired Retired

Ratings:
    I can't tell you if that will work, but you might as well try.

But if you find a working PS2 emulator and run it through wine, and then find the ISO of GTA:SA and open it in the emulator, that should work.

11. OP
    Dotmonkey

Dotmonkey Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Whoa! I was looking through the synaptic package manager and I found a couple emulators. PS2, PS3 (>.>), Xbox 360, Xbox, Gamecube, Etc.

12. Michael Allison

Ratings:
    See, now you've made me angry, because you told me I didn't get it. I've used Linux longer than you have... ask Gabe, I'm a console fiend. Anyway... listen dude, for the last time. Download an Xbox emulator for Linux, and run the Xbox version of the game in the emulator.

If you want to run the PC game, install Windows, or stop being special!

I even linked you to an emulator, bro.

13. OP
    Dotmonkey

Dotmonkey Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Rofl. It's not about the emulator for christ sake. I am trying to run the PC game. w/e someone just lock both my topics. I'm done here.

14. Michael Allison

Ratings:
    And apparently you're not listening. I'm saying running the PC games on Linux is stupid. Use Windows, or emulate the Xbox version of the exact same game.

Christ dude, you make it hard to help you... anyway, hope you figure out whatever you're trying to figure out.

15. OP
    Dotmonkey

Dotmonkey Enthusiast

Ratings:
    GOH! Now I feel like the Idiot.

I didn't even sxplain why I am using Linux. :.(

Short story: Me being stupid, popped the disk in when the PC started and I tried to make a serperate partition for Ubuntu, in the process, the computer lagged up and I accidentally clicked "Write over existing Hard Drive" and was pressing enter about 50 times, so it caused it to just install it. Thats why I am stuck here.

I deleted the Windows Vista back-up partition on accident and I have to order a new one, but I do not have $125 for a boot disk.:frown: So it leaves me here.

Sorry for the inconvienience and wasting your time.

16. Distorted Hope

Distorted Hope Enthusiast

Ratings:
    torrent a boot disc and use the key code off of your pc case if you bought it with vista installed, the secret is, they dont use those codes to install windows the first time, its there so that if you f*ck something up, like you did, you can fix it without legal issues.