What's new

Discussion Graphics card help

Q

Quidy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi my friend recently gave me a graphics card for me. I installed it and now my VGA cable is not big enough to fit on the slots of the graphics card. Should I buy a whole new VGA cable for it to fit or can I go with an adapter, if adapter root do I need 2 one for my monitor or just 1 for the graphics card?

C

Crazyvette

Boing!
Reaction score
Hi my friend recently gave me a graphics card for me. I installed it and now my VGA cable is not big enough to fit on the slots of the graphics card. Should I buy a whole new VGA cable for it to fit or can I go with an adapter, if adapter root do I need 2 one for my monitor or just 1 for the graphics card?
I'm guessing the input on the graphics card is DVI right? If so, check to see if your monitor has an input for DVI. If so, just buy a DVI cord. If not, then you'll need an adapter for your VGA cable. You will only need one for the end that plug's in to the graphics card. Here is what it looks like:

Dvi-to-VGA-adapter2.jpg

Just search DVI to VGA adapter and you can find them pretty much anywhere. I would link you to one but I don't know where you live.

I

InfectHead

Strip the flesh, salt the wound!
Reaction score
What Vette said. It's probably a DVI connector on the graphics card.
  • If both your monitor and graphics card has a DVI connector (THIS), then purchase a DVI cable (it's most probably a DVI-D DualLink connector, if you're unsure look HERE).
  • If your monitor doesn't have a DVI connector, then buy a VGA to DVI adapter.
  • If both the graphics card and monitor have a HDMI connector, use that.
Also if you're going to be purchasing a cable, purchase one that is the smallest in length as possible (that will still reach your monitor and PC) so that video degradation is minimal.

Q

Quidy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What Vette said. It's probably a DVI connector on the graphics card.
  • If both your monitor and graphics card has a DVI connector (THIS), then purchase a DVI cable (it's most probably a DVI-D DualLink connector, if you're unsure look HERE).
  • If your monitor doesn't have a DVI connector, then buy a VGA to DVI adapter.
  • If both the graphics card and monitor have a HDMI connector, use that.
Also if you're going to be purchasing a cable, purchase one that is the smallest in length as possible (that will still reach your monitor and PC) so that video degradation is minimal.

Thank you both I looked on my Monitor it it does have a DVI port. I am just wondering if I should buy the adapter or the cord. I'm looking to save as much money as possible, so should I get the adapter or the cord?
I alos dont understand why I should get a shorter cord versus the longer cord? What's the difference?

S

Sean_J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't remember if this site allows links to other sites that sell "merch" so here is a non active link just in-case. amazon.com/Syba-Connectland-CL-ADA31002-Female-Adapter/dp/B002R0DZXU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1345408440&sr=8-2&keywords=dvi to vga

The adapter is a little bit less expensive than the cord. 1.85$ with free shipping :tongue:

I

InfectHead

Strip the flesh, salt the wound!
Reaction score
Thank you both I looked on my Monitor it it does have a DVI port. I am just wondering if I should buy the adapter or the cord. I'm looking to save as much money as possible, so should I get the adapter or the cord?
I alos dont understand why I should get a shorter cord versus the longer cord? What's the difference?

Definitely buy a DVI cable. VGA is an analog signal, whilst DVI is purely digital so it's better. You can get a 6 ft cable HERE for $8 with free shipping.

Top Bottom