What's new

Discussion Got a PC? Here's a list of great games to get!

• Thread starter Monopolyman
  • Start date
  • Views 34,924
Monopolyman

Monopolyman

PC Gamer and Tech Enthusiast
Retired
Mr. Nice Guy Tutorial Creator Jokester
Reaction score
Sin$
So every now and then I see a "...what games should I get" thread. Instead of posting the same thing over and over again, I thought I'd make a thread with a list. If you have any games you'd want to add then just let me now. If you are submitting a game, then please provide and explanation like the ones you see down below.

Before you buy any of these games (or any game for that matter), I highly suggest you check out this thread by Selena Gomez Selena Gomez . It's an extremely helpful guide that can help you get the best price on the game you're looking for.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R The Lost Alpha: The original S.T.A.L.K.E.R Shadow of Chernobyl re-designed and re-created adding new areas, new mission as well as content cut from the original game. This free reincarnation of the game takes the player to Chernobyl after a second disaster. The player has to explore the zone and unlock its secrets and mysteries but mutated animals, anomalies, radiation and bandits stand in your way. The atmosphere is also great. Easily one of the best games of 2014. Did I mention it is free?
Credit: denz denz

Counter Strike: Counter Strike is probably new to you if your coming from consoles. Counter Strike is a simple, yet extremely fun FPS. The thing that really makes counter strike fun is the community. There is a huge variety of custom content offered by the community, you can play Zombies, Gun Game, Prison Escape, Mini-Games, Death Run, and so many more games modes just from this one game. There are two counter strikes; CS: Source and CS: Global Offensive. Both are similar and have their pro's and cons. Although if you end up buying GMod, then I highly suggest CS: Source, considering it offers a lot of textures used in popular game modes (Namely Trouble in Terrorist Town and Death Run)

Tomb Raider 2013: Tomb Raider 2013 is the Tomb Raider franchise Rebooted featuring a new story and a new adventure. The Island to explore and find the truth behind your ship wrecking and to find a way to leave. It is a game with beautiful graphical fidelity and incredibly well optimized.

Borderlands 2: Borderlands 2 is honestly one of my favorite PC games I own, it has almost endless hours of play time. No matter how many times you've gone through the main story, there is always things to do. Whether it's farming for legendaries or building a new skill tree, you can always find something to do in this game.

ARMA 3: ARMA 3 is an open-world, tactical shooter and undoubtedly one of the biggest PC titles in terms of content. Has hugely realistic scenarios which you can download, create yourself and play with others. The game has full Steam Workshop support to help with content too. There are many things to see and explore, many different roles to play as, tens of vehicles and weapons which an be potentially increased more with Mods such as Community Upgrade Project (CUP Mod) as well as many more weapon/unit mods and also many more terrains from the beloved ARMA 2 with the All in ARMA Terrain Pack. This game is no easy game to master. But we warned: It can take even the best of computers and bring them to their knees.

Garry's Mod: This game is honestly a must get for PC gamers. In GMod there is literally an endless possibility of things to do. You can create your own content in game or download other players content. Within GMod you can find all sorts of wacky mods and maps, or you can play full out horror adventure maps. Whether you want to goof around, play a competitive game type, solve a puzzle, express your creativity, or do whatever else you could possibly think of, GMod is the game to get.

Call of Duty: World at War: Aside from WaW having one of my favorite CoD multiplayer experience and campaign, WaW on PC has one thing to offer that isn't on consoles... and that it custom zombies. On PC, there are thousands of maps you can download and play zombies on. It's not just new maps, but there are new guns, perks, environments, traps, bosses, endings, etc. in these mods. There is even mods that add a whole new custom class and ranking system to zombies.

Civilization V: This game can really be a hit and a miss, but I find that even if you think you'll dislike it you'll probably end up surprising yourself (much like myself). This game may look like a boring board game, but it can get really fun when playing with friends, even playing solo can be a good time. There's always new ideas and strategies you can explore so there's always a different way to play, not to mention the unpredictability of AI and other players.

Minecraft: Unless you've been living under a rock, you've probably heard of Minecraft. On PC there are thousands of great servers, game modes and mods. My personal favorite is the various technic packs; packs of mods that can completely change the game, for instance Hexxit adds so many new animals, NPCs, enemies, ores, weapons, biomes, etc it can feel like a whole different game.

Rust: Right now Rust is in very early stages, but is still one hell of a game already. Rust is a survival game made by the team that brought us GMod, so you already know there's a dedicated team behind it. Right now you can hunt animals, loot towns, raid other players, explore the wilderness, craft weapons, build houses, mine, get wood, and all sorts of things that you could expect in a survival game, and there is a lot more to come to this game considering it's in early stages.

Killing Floor: Personally, I thoroughly enjoy playing Killing Floor and I can see myself playing it a lot more in the future, due to the high amount of events presented by tripwire. I prefer to play it with friends, or even people found through random servers because I can’t defeat the Patriarch on my own! I highly recommend buying this game, it tends to be on sale a lot on Steam and is even offered as a free game for a week from time to time. I hope that by reading this you have found yourself a new game to enjoy, like I have.
Credit: Sobriquet Sobriquet | Full Review: Here

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas: Most people have heard of Grand Theft Auto, but some people new to the series may not know what a gem San Andreas is. In my opinion GTA:SA is one of the best GTA single players, the one thing lacking though was MP... until SA:MP and MTA came out. Both of these mods add in an extremely fun multiplayer aspect to the game. There are server with 500+ people on them and these servers range from role playing, to races, to free roam. Considering the fact that you can get this game for pretty cheap and have a good single and multiplayer experience, I think this game is a must get.

Grand Theft Auto: IV: GTA:IV has always been a great time on consoles, but one thing PC really has to offer is the extensive mods. There are thousands of mods you can add to this game to make it completely different. It's not just trainers and "cheat" like mods, but there are thousands of new cars, weapons, maps, textures, and scripts you can download. There is also a really fantastic mod that gives the game graphics that are better than GTA V, and it's truly beautiful.

Just Cause 2: Honestly, I can't vouch for the single player since I really haven't played it that much, but what makes this game fun is the multiplayer mod. Much like San Andreas MP, the JC2 MP mod adds multiplayer to the game. There are some servers with 500+ people and on these servers there is so much to do. JC2's map is extremely fun to explore with friends, and there is a lot of fun cars you can buy (or spawn depending on the server). Considering the fact that this game is already fairly cheap, then there are a lot of sales on it, I would definitely buy this if you want to have some fun.

Path of Exile: Path of Exile's game play is similar to Blizzard Entertainments ARPG franchise Diablo and borrows much from it. I have played Diablo 3 on both PC and Console quite a bit although I have not played the previous Diablo entries. Most people would say its more like a spiritual successor to Diablo 2 or call it Diablo 2.5. I cant validate that with my experience but I can say while it does have things that might remind you of Diablo 3 (which I also very much enjoy) it feels different and honestly, game play wise, is much more enjoyable to me.
Credit: mindl3ssviolnc3 | Read this post for even more info!

Goat Simulator: Although this game may sound like another pointless simulator, trust me this is far from any other game I've played. At the time I am writing this Goat Simulator is a new game by a new game studio that seems like they are all about fun. In game, you spend your time as a goat exploring a medium sized map looking for all sorts of wacky things to do. You can blow up gas stations, ragdoll gown a slide, shoot baseballs at people, jump of cranes, play flappy goat, offer human sacrifices to the goat devil, and so much more. To make this game even better, it supports steam workshop, meaning you can download endless content made by users for free. If you have a spare $10 lying around, this game is definitely worth the money, as it can provide endless hours of fun.

The Mighty Quest For Epic Loot: In this game there is no PvP but you do get to go through everyone's fortified Castles which is fun on its own. You can guard your base with a bunch of different Monsters and traps and is very easy to learn if you are looking for a new game or you are new to PC gaming like I am. One of the disadvantages of the game is that you have to pay to create a new character. Other then that it proves to be a challenging but all around fun strategy game.
Credit: TENSWRECKAGE v2

Dragon Age: Inquisition: This game is a lore heavy RPG. The game is set in the fictional land of Theadas, which in the previous games has been ravaged by the 'Blight', and they’re coming back to destroy everyone again. This time you take the role of Inquisitor, which gives you many choices on deciding the fate of people you meet along the way, and also a leadership position in the holy war against the Darkspawn. This game's niche is making the player make decisions. These choices will change different character's opinions of you, and outcomes of certain events. On your journey you will recruit party members, several from each of the classes; Mage, Warrior or Rouge. The game has many side quests to complete and many areas to explore, with normal combat and a tactical mode to control all characters at once, this game has the best mix of the systems from the previous games.
Credit: Weeb

Note: These are not the only games that are good on PC, there are thousands of great games out there. These are just the games that I think are a great buy, especially if your new to PC gaming. Also note that everyone has a different opinion, and I can't guarantee you'll love all these games.

If you guys would like a game to be added to the OP, please give the game name, a few reasons why or write short description like the other games in this OP and either post it here for Monopolyman Monopolyman to add in or you can report the OP and a moderator can add it in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Habofro

Habofro

PC Enthusiast
Retired
Beginning of An Odyssey Bug Finder Services
Reaction score
Sin$
Where the F is DOTA2? That's a must!
Also, Team Fortress 2!

Selena Gomez

Selena Gomez

Retired
Retired
Video Connoisseur CotM Beginning of An Odyssey
Reaction score
Sin$
As long as people can explain why to get various games, then I can see this being a very good thread :smile:

Monopolyman

Monopolyman

PC Gamer and Tech Enthusiast
Retired
Mr. Nice Guy Tutorial Creator Jokester
Reaction score
Sin$
Add loadout!
I've never played loadout, I hope to eventually get around to it though. Anywho, if you could give some sort of explanation as to way LoadOut should be played, then I'll be more than happy to add it to the OP, I just don't know enough about it.
i guess i'm the only mmorpg fan :'{
If you suggest some MMORPG's with a explanation I'll be more than happy to add it :wink:
You forgot Arma, DayZ, Rising Storm/Red Orchestra 2
I do have all of them (well the DayZ mod) but haven't played them enough to supply a good reason to get it. So if you (or someone else) could give a suggestion I'll be happy to add them to the list.
I won't take this list serious until I see YouTube Snake on it
Or the missile command game :tongue:

Z61

Z61

Some times our saints are sinners
Retired
Programmer Forum Addict Odysseus' Summit
Reaction score
Sin$
Insurgency is a great realistic game that runs on the Source engine.

Sobriquet

Sobriquet

Banned
Retired
Bright Idea End of the Year 2014 Hardened Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
I can go into more detail later as I'm on my phone but Killing Floor is probably the best co op experience and survival experience I've had on PC, it's incredibly fun and often goes on sale. I actually reviewed it on the homepage a while back Monopolyman Monopolyman and you could leave that in the description too.

DeccyOfLeeds

DeccyOfLeeds

Se7ensins Professional
Reaction score
Sin$
i prefer modern warfare 2 than world at war but i can see where you're coming from calling it a good game :smile: nice thread

shaddy

shaddy

I am SHADDY t-_-t
Chatty Kathy Stickied Experienced Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
I just started downloading games yesterday for my new PC. And I've really liked Planet Side 2. Insane how many people are playing in one server.

Looking to hopefully buy GMod soon. Only thing I hate is how slow steam is to download games.

Habofro

Habofro

PC Enthusiast
Retired
Beginning of An Odyssey Bug Finder Services
Reaction score
Sin$
I just started downloading games yesterday for my new PC. And I've really liked Planet Side 2. Insane how many people are playing in one server.

Looking to hopefully buy GMod soon. Only thing I hate is how slow steam is to download games.
That's not steam, that's your ****** connection lol. I download most games in under 1 hours.

Crucify

Crucify

Let's do this!
Mythical Veteran Jokester AzzidReign Jr
Reaction score
Sin$
You should add League of Legends and DOTA 2 because these f2p games are really fun.

denz

denz

The Kingslayer
Retired
MotM End of the Year 2014 Trifecta
Reaction score
Sin$
Add age of empires 1, 2 and 3. They are a must. 
Also dota 2, tf 2, dayz/arma 3 etc. there are literraly hundreads.

Top Bottom
Login
Register