What's new

Discussion GOOGLE FIBER + GTA Online = Better Game!?

Patong

Patong

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I feel so lucky to have 1GBPS internet speed Google Fiber coming to my town of Charlotte this year! It makes me wonder, how will 1,000 MPBS speeds affect gameplay/matchmaking/lag. Does internet speed REALLY make the game THAT much better? Thoughts?

frostyDdopeman

frostyDdopeman

Contributor
Reaction score
Sin$
It doesnt matter how fast your internet is, if your settings arent configured properly or if you have a crap router or modem.

EDIT:
inb4 I get flamed...

I used to have hella issues connecting, I swore it was Rockstar.

I messed with my settings... BAM. No issues

OH and btw...
I forgot to mention, actually if you have a laggy connection you will have an advantage in any online gaming... generally the host of the game has a godly connection, so your connection will act like a lag switch of sorts.

Google Fiber is the shiznit though... I'm jelly :smile:

Last edited:
REALZ

REALZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I agree with frosty, it doesn't matter how fast your connection is when it comes to rockstar it might help in COD but on GTA forget about it. I switched to a 300/80 connection and i still had issues online.

Claws

Claws

Skepta <3
Retired
Lifetime
Journalist Nevar gon' happen in your lifetime Stickied
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
What frosty said is true. I had a bad internet connection halfway through 2014 and I found that I could just eat bullets in call of duty. Now that I've received a better plan/modem, I find I'm getting killed much easier due to the fact that I'm not lagging around the map anymore.

Patong

Patong

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
It doesnt matter how fast your internet is, if your settings arent configured properly or if you have a crap router or modem.

EDIT:
inb4 I get flamed...

I used to have hella issues connecting, I swore it was Rockstar.

I messed with my settings... BAM. No issues

OH and btw...
I forgot to mention, actually if you have a laggy connection you will have an advantage in any online gaming... generally the host of the game has a godly connection, so your connection will act like a lag switch of sorts.

Google Fiber is the shiznit though... I'm jelly :smile:
Good to know! Thanks man. Guess I will be playing a lot of cod then haha

I

itsnotluck

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Pshh everyone knows the worst your connection is the better in cod. I consistantly see yellow/red bar people at the top of the scoreboard. Maybe its not like that in AW but i know for a fact in every cod after mw2 through ghosts the better your connection was the more you were at a disadvantage.

Patong

Patong

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Pshh everyone knows the worst your connection is the better in cod. I consistantly see yellow/red bar people at the top of the scoreboard. Maybe its not like that in AW but i know for a fact in every cod after mw2 through ghosts the better your connection was the more you were at a disadvantage.
I disagree, I can see how it would tempting to say that but It's just not true. I was constantly at a disadvantage when I was broke and going through college poor days. My connection sucked. Everyone knows this was the drill:

-See a dude
-Shoot at the dude
-Bullets go through the dude
-Die suddenly
-Repeat

Anyway this conversation should not get diverted to COD, let's talk GTA :wink:

Igotahalfchub

Igotahalfchub

Enthusiast
Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Honestly lag doesnt really effect Gta that much at all, your super mega speed will pretty much only be useful for cod, most other games are pretty well balanced in regards to speeds and people on their servers

Evil Deeds

Evil Deeds

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Of course bandwidth helps BUT online interaction s depend on latency more than DL speed

Do ne

Do ne

I don't even. Wait, what?
Reaction score
Sin$
I've had 1000/1000 fiber optic for a year or two now. Gta aint better, still having the problem with lost connection and timed out issue.

It's all up to Rockstar.

justkillinpeople

justkillinpeople

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
i have 100/20 and i have problems all the time with gta it does not matter what you have rockstar is the ones in control of the server.

A

AfterFXNinja

☑ rekt ☐ not rekt
Reaction score
Sin$
I have fiber and an amazing router, yet I'm still only in sessions by myself. ****ing Cockstar

R

Rowter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Just out of curiosity, what network protocol does everyone use routed IP or NAT?

XO4GOKFgw94KGOXK

XO4GOKFgw94KGOXK

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
Reaction score
Sin$
I don't think a super high speed connexion will make the game better and no lag.. It depends also
on the PING and the NAT Type of your internet connexion. I play gta online with about 1mbps/2mbps and with 15 ping, NAT Type 2. and i don't have lag.:sleep:

R

Rowter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I don't think a super high speed connexion will make the game better and no lag.. It depends also
on the PING and the NAT Type of your internet connexion. I play gta online with about 1mbps/2mbps and with 15 ping, NAT Type 2. and i don't have lag.:sleep:

Best way is to not run NAT at all and have routed IP then, the router isn't trying to do any address translation.

ShoelessJP

ShoelessJP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
A super high-speed connection will not severely alter your GTA Online experience. Last calendar year I was on a 200 MBP/S internet connection and it still lagged just as badly. Rockstar's internet servers are simply not capable of handling the large amount of traffic that they demand... no amount of a quicker internet connection will likely do much to change the hampering connection issues.

Top Bottom
Login
Register