• Thread starter TheGraphix
  • Start date
  • Views 973
TheGraphix

TheGraphix

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
My friend recently built his computer, but he's having a few problems with it. He can run some games like AC4 on max settings and record at 40-45FPS, but he goes to record Runescape, and he only gets 10-30FPS while recording. Also, in Minecraft, when he tries to record, he gets 60FPS in the default window, but when he maximizes his screen, his FPS stays at 22 no matter what setting. And ideas what this could be?

His Specs:
CPU: AMD A-Series Quad Core @ 4.1GHz
Ram: 8GB DDr3
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX660
HDD: 1TB 64MB Cache

Brian Runs This

Brian Runs This

Sleep is the cousin of death
Fabled Veteran Jokester Forum Addict
Reaction score
Sin$
My friend recently built his computer, but he's having a few problems with it. He can run some games like AC4 on max settings and record at 40-45FPS, but he goes to record Runescape, and he only gets 10-30FPS while recording. Also, in Minecraft, when he tries to record, he gets 60FPS in the default window, but when he maximizes his screen, his FPS stays at 22 no matter what setting. And ideas what this could be?

His Specs:

1. He's recording off the same harddrive he has his OS in. Which makes terrible recording FPS.
2. That CPU isn't strong enough to handle processing recording and gameplay all at once
3. The reason he plays AC4 so well its because it is an NVIDIA optimized game. Hence why he gets more FPS.

uid0

uid0

Programming Guru
Reaction score
Sin$

His Specs:

Drivers maybe?

Selena Gomez

Selena Gomez

Retired
Retired
Video Connoisseur CotM Beginning of An Odyssey
Reaction score
Sin$
I'll expand on what Brian Runs This Brian Runs This said.

• Recording heavily relies on the CPU it doesn't matter what you're playing it relies on the CPU. Games like runescape and minecraft are more CPU driven than GPU driven whereas AC4 is more GPU driven, so it makes sense that he'd get higher recording in AC4 since the GPU is doing most of the work leaving the CPU more resources to record.
  • For minecraft when you maximize the screen the CPU has to work harder since there is a larger canvas for it to cover on the screen. If the resolution is lowered then the FPS should go up a bit.
  • If he is using Fraps to record which is very low resource and should cause no issues recording on the same HDD as your games. What I would recommend doing is getting a separate drive for the OS and then keep your games/recordings on one and then OS on another (preferably an SSD)
  • My other recommendation would be to upgrade the CPU to something a little stronger since he plans to game and record at the same time.

TheGraphix

TheGraphix

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I'll expand on what Brian Runs This Brian Runs This said.

• Recording heavily relies on the CPU it doesn't matter what you're playing it relies on the CPU. Games like runescape and minecraft are more CPU driven than GPU driven whereas AC4 is more GPU driven, so it makes sense that he'd get higher recording in AC4 since the GPU is doing most of the work leaving the CPU more resources to record.
  • For minecraft when you maximize the screen the CPU has to work harder since there is a larger canvas for it to cover on the screen. If the resolution is lowered then the FPS should go up a bit.
  • If he is using Fraps to record which is very low resource and should cause no issues recording on the same HDD as your games. What I would recommend doing is getting a separate drive for the OS and then keep your games/recordings on one and then OS on another (preferably an SSD)
  • My other recommendation would be to upgrade the CPU to something a little stronger since he plans to game and record at the same time.
We'll thanks for the explanations! I really appreciate it! But I'm kind of curious why he could record with a better FPS on his other PC on MC when he had a less powerful CPU/GPU. I mean, I have a laptop with integrated graphics/ 1.3GHz dual core and I get better than that.

Brian Runs This

Brian Runs This

Sleep is the cousin of death
Fabled Veteran Jokester Forum Addict
Reaction score
Sin$
We'll thanks for the explanations! I really appreciate it! But I'm kind of curious why he could record with a better FPS on his other PC on MC when he had a less powerful CPU/GPU. I mean, I have a laptop with integrated graphics/ 1.3GHz dual core and I get better than that.

Ask him to run a malwarebytes scan to make sure he is not part of a botnet.

Selena Gomez

Selena Gomez

Retired
Retired
Video Connoisseur CotM Beginning of An Odyssey
Reaction score
Sin$

Run a virus scan as well as a malwarebytes scan to make sure he doesn't have something using up resources.

Mysterion

Mysterion

Contributor
Reaction score
Sin$
If all else fails, delete System32.

I found the best solution:
Step 1. Take out hard drive
Step 2. Burn hard drive
Step 3. Put back hard drive
Step 4. ????
Step 5. Profit