Getting on live from college dorm.

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Support Archive' started by silversurfer816, Feb 10, 2009 with 19 replies and 550 views.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. silversurfer816

silversurfer816 Newbie

Ratings:
    Ok so i go to Northwest Missouri State and they have xbox live blocked. They make us register are computers to get them to get on the internet. So i was wondering if i could some how use a VPN or SSH to tunnel out. I'm a CS major but i don't know that much about networking. Please don't post if you don't know what your talking about, thank you!

2. JoeMal

JoeMal Retired Retired

Ratings:
    You want wireless bridging, search for it

Although if they blocked the ports for XBL, you're screwed either way

• Like Like x 1
  3. OP
    silversurfer816

silversurfer816 Newbie

Ratings:
    Do you think that I could get a get a switch and do something with that, or get a usb to Ethernet. Is there a program that will allow me to pull me computer's ip to my xbox, because then i could prolly tunnel out? I'm just saying some ideas i'm not really sure.

4. JoeMal

JoeMal Retired Retired

Ratings:
    Wireless bridging will allow you to use the built in wireless adapter you have in either your laptop or desktop (if you don't have one, they're like $20) to give your 360 an internet connection.

5. TerminatioN

TerminatioN AzzidReign loves GTA Retired

Ratings:
    Yeah, do what Joe said. That's the way you want to go and will probably get the job done.

Don't try to use a router or a switch or they will get pissed off and you might get in trouble. Trust me, they WILL know and you WILL get caught.

6. OP
    silversurfer816

silversurfer816 Newbie

Ratings:
    I can always get wireless from my dorm. What about a usb to ethernet? Or is they anything other than wireless, and if not could someone tell me what I would have to bridge the two, thanks in advance

7. xchueyx

xchueyx Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Sign up with a network to get one of those wireless cards. Thats what my friend does. He uses it on his computer, and bridges the connections.

8. TerminatioN

TerminatioN AzzidReign loves GTA Retired

Ratings:
    Er, did you make a typo? Did you mean you CAN'T always get wireless?

If you need to bridge through wired what you will need to do is plug your schools internet into your primary Ethernet port and then get a USB to Ethernet adapter (assuming you don't already have another ethernet card installed which I am pretty sure you don't) and plug the USB into your computer and the ethernet on the other end to your xbox. Then you make sure the adapters drivers are installed and allow Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on your primary card (select the secondary card if it asks) and it should work. Thats kind of a quick tut. There is probably a better one on this site somewhere.

Hope that helped. Let me know if you have anymore problems/questions.

• Like Like x 1
  9. OP
    silversurfer816

silversurfer816 Newbie

Ratings:
    I think i can take it from here. thanks for all the help

10. T Sizzles

T Sizzles VIP VIP

Ratings:
    Using WWAN for Xbox Live will not only give you horrid lag and latency, but most networks (AT&T, Verizon, Sprint) have "soft" 5GB/month caps. You'll either get your service terminated or get an ungodly bill.

And it's against their Terms of Service.

11. warbo96

warbo96 Enthusiast

Ratings:
    my friend had the same problem though he bridged it, he got some lag but it was playable. after 2 weeks he got caught.
    Warbo96

12. KillaMike999

KillaMike999 Enthusiast

Ratings:
    why the hell does the college give a **** for? I mean u PAY to go to colege, meaning u wanna go there to learn. In your free time, u shud have the right to play some xbox. :cursing:

13. JoeMal

JoeMal Retired Retired

Ratings:
    I agree with you there, but then there are students who mess it up for everyone that sit in their room and play CoD all day instead of doing to class or doing homework:thumbdown:

14. KillaMike999

KillaMike999 Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Yes, but again they PAY to go there, I mean if they fail because they played to much COD, then they shud be happy, because they gotta PAY for the class again, ha

15. JoeMal

JoeMal Retired Retired

Ratings:
    Ya but when you're kicked out your freshman year for playing games, they LOOSE out on 3 years of tuition

16. KillaMike999

KillaMike999 Enthusiast

Ratings:
    yea, but the point is, why do the colleges care about that? ha

17. JoeMal

JoeMal Retired Retired

Ratings:
    Ummm because they loose out of thousands of dollars?

18. KillaMike999

KillaMike999 Enthusiast

Ratings:
    yea, but then that kid would probly re register. and plus, thats like saying they can play xbox offline, but not online. How is offline diffrent? Sure online is more fun, but I could still play my xbox offline and still have fun

19. Raven

Raven Undercover Brother

Ratings:
    They do it because they can and honestly, it probably helps some students to make better grades.

20. Saiyan

Saiyan Senior Member

Ratings:
    when you get kicked out, they make money either ways, you pay for freshman year, ad get kicked out, someone replaces you, and if they go on for 4 years then they basically get 5 years of tuition for the price of 4

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.