Haxalot88

Haxalot88

VIP
VIP
Reaction score
Sin$
Alright so here's what's going on...

My friend lives in a 2-building house.

The main house is single story, average home with 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, etc... And the house behind it is a small apartment-type deal with 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom and a small recreational space, they are seperated by maybe 25 ft.

Now his modem (20mbps/2mbps) is connected to a D-Link DIR625 Rangebooster N router. The router's wireless kinda sucks... I'm not too sure why, but it just isn't so stable (aka internet speeds drops like a f***ing rock when going over it). His sister's laptop can connect to it with maybe 1-2 bars, and gets absolutely TERRIBLE speed.

Finally, the router is in the main house, and he wants to get to be able to play Xbox Live in the second building out back. There is a seperation of about 3 walls across 200-300 ft between both rooms.

Is there any possible way he can get stable internet upstairs without going via a LAN line? Is there any cheap (like $60-70 or less) router that will get great coverage that far away? and finally, is there any way he can setup a second router up there to receive the signal and allow internet access via its LAN ports?

Mikey

Mikey

Experienced Member
Bright Idea Forum Addict
Reaction score
Sin$
Netgear is the way to go man.

Haxalot88

Haxalot88

VIP
VIP
Reaction score
Sin$
http://www.pepwave.com/products/surf/
Go's 4x the distance of average Modems!

http://www.pepwave.com/products/mesh-connector/
Go's 8x the distance of average Modems!

WAY too expensive.

I'm looking at putting a pair of these (one as a router, one as a receiver): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320039

But like I said before, distance is around 300ft, where their current router (which is using wireless G atm) can BARELY reach with reduced transfer speeds.

ChiefJoboo

ChiefJoboo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
1.update your router's firmware if you have one/when you get one.2.wired for xbox live is best. 3.for best wireless reception: move the router to the middle of your house at about 5 ft high and level, configure the router and add a password with wpa2personal/psk-aes encryption(so noobs wont use your internet anymore), change the mtu size to manual and 1492, and if you have only wireless g-expirement with channels 1, 6, and 11(nothing inbetween cause then the channels overlap).for routers, i strongly recommend linksys.yes its possible to add a second router through another router. but id recommend a repeater.

Haxalot88

Haxalot88

VIP
VIP
Reaction score
Sin$
he already has wireless security so that's not the issue, and currently the router is mounted high on the wall for best reception. I'll try messin with the settings when i go over.

T

Thilo

Contributor
Reaction score
Sin$
I hate wifi, I have been messing with it for awhile (you already knew that)...

I found that it sucks, and that it is impossible to play over ANY wifi, specially over semi-long distances. Like my neighbors.

LAN it up.

Haxalot88

Haxalot88

VIP
VIP
Reaction score
Sin$
I hate wifi, I have been messing with it for awhile (you already knew that)...

I found that it sucks, and that it is impossible to play over ANY wifi, specially over semi-long distances. Like my neighbors.

LAN it up.

f*** You.

T

Thilo

Contributor
Reaction score
Sin$
<3. But no srs, you cant play over it.

Haxalot88

Haxalot88

VIP
VIP
Reaction score
Sin$
<3. But no srs, you cant play over it.

No seriously, f*** you. I play it at my house over wifi ALL THE f***ING TIME. So take your bulls*** advice and f***ing leave. I don't want your stupid f***ing *** poking around my threads any more, so get the f*** out.

xXShAdOvVXx

xXShAdOvVXx

<(^_^)>
Reaction score
Sin$
he already has wireless security so that's not the issue, and currently the router is mounted high on the wall for best reception. I'll try messin with the settings when i go over.

Get a signal repeater like this
wlg_universal_range_extender.jpg

It help boosted my signal from low to high :smile:

Pieceman

Pieceman

VIP
VIP
Reaction score
Sin$
Code:
http://www.wirelessgardenstore.com/product-p/scb10x.htm

Buy one for the sender and one for receiver; bonus range for direct line of sight. I know you said 60-70 but for $80, it looks like what you need.

Ooor, if you're looking for a diy project,
Code:
http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/448

R

rizzo420

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Hi Claircognizant, this is probably out of budget, but the BUFFALO WHR-HP-G54 has the ability to piggy back each other wireless. Meaning you can put one in the house, one in the apartment, and get five bars all around. Ive been setting people up with these at work. Was skeptical at first, but when I saw it in action, I couldn't believe it. It cost alittle more, but its well worth it. Good Luck - rizzo420

G

Griryu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Check what channels the wireless signals are on and change your router or repeater or whatever your connecting to onto a higher channel, its different for alot of routers and stuff so you might want to check your manuals to see how.

Too many wireless signals on same channel can cripple your connection and it's speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom
Login
Register