• Thread starter supercas240
  • Start date
  • Views 830
S

supercas240

Reaction score
Sin$
Hey all,

I have this old 360. all I know is that around 2009. it had some hardware mods done to it, and it came with some 100 burned dvd's with cracked games.
I've been trying to get it up to date to setup some kinect games for my family. It has no special software installed.

the dashboard version is 2.0.8955.0, so I wanted to get that updated.
  • first of all I tried installing xexmenu.
    • I tried installing it through a usb stick, but the xbox refuses to detect it (when I put a dashboard update directly into the root of the USB, instaid of xexmenu, and plug it in it does detect the update on startup, but this ofcourse doesn't work) the usb does not show up in settings, even though it does its loading animation when plugged in.
    • next thing I tried installing xexmenu through a dvd-r and / or cd-r. I download the ISO and burn it to the dvd, when I put it into the 360 it tries to run it but I get the "cant run game, try cleaning or restarting" error
  • I don't really know where to go from here. as far as I can tell I need xexmenu for the xbox to detect usb sticks, and to update the dashboard.
any ideas what I might be doing wrong, I obviously don't have much experience?

B

BluesMan67

Enthusiast
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
First of all,has the 360 been Jtag hacked.You will have to open up the 360 console in order to check if there's extra wiring been installed inside the console. (hardware wise i mean.If your not sure what i mean,google Xbox 360 Jtag).
If it has been Jtagged hacked,you need to create a profile on the 360 HDD,so you'll be able to copy over Xexmenu from your pen drive onto the HDD.
Let me know first if it's been Jtag hacked please ?

S

supercas240

Reaction score
Sin$
Last edited:
S

supercas240

Reaction score
Sin$
press the eject button and see if something like XELL comes up.

like pressing the eject button whilst the xbox is powered of? I tried that already, didn't do anything

if not then the DVD drive must of only got flashed and nothing else on the board.

what does this mean, and what are my options with this?

S

supercas240

Reaction score
Sin$
it basically means you can play burnt/cracked games. i have never flashed a drive myself so I couldn't say what to do from there. cant you update the normal way? just sign into online and do an update? the flashed drive would most likely need updating as well this link may help ya out https://gbatemp.net/threads/xbox-360-dvd-reflash.352980/
I'm pretty sure this one is banned from xbox live, I tried downloading the update from the xbox site and updating manually via usb, that worked as in it started, but halfway through it would always either get real slow (maybe freeze) or give me an reinsert usb drive warning. It never actually crashed though, maybe just let it run overnight?

B

BluesMan67

Enthusiast
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
If you don't get Xell booting up to your screen when you power on the console using the 360's eject button.Then the motherboard is untouched.
If the DVD drive is flashed (to play copies/backups) then i reckon the DVD drive is flashed with an old version of the Ixtreme firmware.
If your in the UK,i'm prepered to sort out your console for you but postage to me and return must be covered by you yourself.

S

supercas240

Reaction score
Sin$
If you don't get Xell booting up to your screen when you power on the console using the 360's eject button.Then the motherboard is untouched.
If the DVD drive is flashed (to play copies/backups) then i reckon the DVD drive is flashed with an old version of the Ixtreme firmware.
If your in the UK,i'm prepered to sort out your console for you but postage to me and return must be covered by you yourself.
that's very generous, but I just want to update the dashboard to a state that works with the kinect and then download & burn some games for it. I know the games I currently have were burned from the internet, so It shouldn't be an issue to do that again? and for updating the dashboard without internet I assume the usb update method should be able to work?

B

BluesMan67

Enthusiast
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
that's very generous, but I just want to update the dashboard to a state that works with the kinect and then download & burn some games for it. I know the games I currently have were burned from the internet, so It shouldn't be an issue to do that again? and for updating the dashboard without internet I assume the usb update method should be able to work?

Like i said though,if that DVD drive in your 360 has been flashed with an older version of Ixtreme's firmware.It's not going to be as straight forward as you think in getting your console updated to the latest dashboard version.
In my long experience with modding the Xbox 360's.Your DVD drive NEEDS to be flashed back to it's correct stock firmware.You need to look on the drives label to see what model and version DVD drive you have in your console (it will be one of the following makes.Philips Lite-On,Philips BenQ,Hitachi or a Samsung drive)
The different makes of DVD drives require different ways on how they are flashed using the Jungleflasher software on your PC or laptop.
You also need a way to be able to hook up your 360's DVD drive to your PC or laptop,so your going to need an X360 USB kit.If your drive is a Philips Lite-On drive,your also going to need the Xecuter Probe v3.
Then you need to download the Ixtreme LT firmware pack (the pack contains everything and for ALL models of the Xbox 360 DVD drives)
Once you've got your drive connected to your PC or laptop and you get it flashed back to it's stock firmware,then go ahead and try updating the consoles dashboard update using a USB pen drive.Once you get that done,you can then flash your DVD drive with the updated Ixtreme firmware so it will carry on reading your game backup discs.

Top Bottom
Login
Register