What's new

Question ? FTP into xbox one ?

lol

lol

Was Here
Reaction score
Sin$
A few weeks ago I decided to run nmap against my retail 360 for a laugh and found that port 21 was open. Today I did the same to the xbox one and found port 21 was open on that also. I tried to ftp into it but with no success. I did a quick google search on the matter and found a tut that said the username and password is "xbox". So I retried with filezilla but still had no success.
EDIT: (tut was from 05, not for the xbox one lol. port 21 still open though.)

So I'm just wondering if anyone has successfully done this and if so, what benefits come with doing so?

P.S
these are the port results from nmap in case anyone is interested.
Code:
Nmap scan report for XboxOne (192.168.1.xxx)
Host is up (0.00096s latency).
Not shown: 998 filtered ports
PORT     STATE SERVICE VERSION
21/tcp   open  ftp?
|_ftp-bounce: no banner
2869/tcp open  upnp    Microsoft IIS httpd

Last edited:
S

Sketch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I'd have to pull up some of the documentation here but I don't have time. It is probably a media sharing related thing. It's not anything great.

Red

Red

VIP
Retired
Scaling the Mountain Mythical Veteran MotM
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
A few weeks ago I decided to run nmap against my retail 360 for a laugh and found that port 21 was open. Today I did the same to the xbox one and found port 21 was open on that also. I tried to ftp into it but with no success. I did a quick google search on the matter and found a tut that said the username and password is "xbox". So I retried with filezilla but still had no success.
EDIT: (tut was from 05, not for the xbox one lol. port 21 still open though.)

So I'm just wondering if anyone has successfully done this and if so, what benefits come with doing so?

P.S
these are the port results from nmap in case anyone is interested.
Code:
Nmap scan report for XboxOne (192.168.1.xxx)
Host is up (0.00096s latency).
Not shown: 998 filtered ports
PORT     STATE SERVICE VERSION
21/tcp   open  ftp?
|_ftp-bounce: no banner
2869/tcp open  upnp    Microsoft IIS httpd
Unfortunately just because port 21 is open doesn't mean you can just FTP into it that easily. A port is just something to listen on. Without something from the console telling the console to listen for a connection from that port then not much will happen.

For example the psvita uses port 1337 and the 3DS uses port 5000. Why? Because there is an application telling it to listen and await a connection from that port

lol

lol

Was Here
Reaction score
Sin$
Unfortunately just because port 21 is open doesn't mean you can just FTP into it that easily. A port is just something to listen on. Without something from the console telling the console to listen for a connection from that port then not much will happen.

For example the psvita uses port 1337 and the 3DS uses port 5000. Why? Because there is an application telling it to listen and await a connection from that port
When I googled xbox one ports I kept coming across the ports that were used to make xbox live work, but port 21 was never listed. I was thinking it might have something to do with trouble shooting? Like if you send it into microsoft for repairs, they can get diagnostics from it or something.

Another thing that peaked my curiosity is the fact that nmap identified the port as "ftp?" instead of just "ftp". Also, the 360 had port 21 open as well. I understand that it's not as easy as just ftp'ing into it. However, If it is used for media purposes like listening to music from your computer, wouldn't it be listed as a port that makes live work?

Xbox Live requires the following ports to be open:
  • Port 88 (UDP)
  • Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
  • Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
  • Port 80 (TCP)
  • Port 500 (UDP)
  • UDP Port 3544 (UDP)
  • UDP Port 4500 (UDP)

S

Sketch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
When I googled xbox one ports I kept coming across the ports that were used to make xbox live work, but port 21 was never listed. I was thinking it might have something to do with trouble shooting? Like if you send it into microsoft for repairs, they can get diagnostics from it or something.

Another thing that peaked my curiosity is the fact that nmap identified the port as "ftp?" instead of just "ftp". Also, the 360 had port 21 open as well. I understand that it's not as easy as just ftp'ing into it. However, If it is used for media purposes like listening to music from your computer, wouldn't it be listed as a port that makes live work?

Xbox Live requires the following ports to be open:
  • Port 88 (UDP)
  • Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
  • Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
  • Port 80 (TCP)
  • Port 500 (UDP)
  • UDP Port 3544 (UDP)
  • UDP Port 4500 (UDP)
Well, those ports are for xbox live services. Media is local and not really "xbox live". The Xbox One ports are heavily whitelisted. It's either that or they messed up again.

lol

lol

Was Here
Reaction score
Sin$
Well, those ports are for xbox live services. Media is local and not really "xbox live". The Xbox One ports are heavily whitelisted. It's either that or they messed up again.

Well I guess setting up media server or w/ and monitoring the traffic going through port 21 to see if that's the port it's using would tell us if it's for local media streaming or not.

Top Bottom
Login
Register