Snowy

Snowy

Let it snow
Hidden Devils
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Hey,

I was just wandering whether the windows 10 upgrade (free) can be used on a separate PC? This is my thinking: I'm getting a new PC to replace my old one, the old one is on windows 7 (has the option to upgrade to windows 10 for free) and I've got a laptop laying around on windows 7 also. Basically, I can save £80 by not purchasing windows 10 with it, meaning I can get a better GPU etc. Would it be possible to use one of the free upgrades on this new PC?

Thanks
Versatile Ear

Operating System
  1. Windows
Prefix_NA

Prefix_NA

Seasoned Member
Mythical Veteran Legendary Veteran Fabled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Yes.

Also if you don't wanna bother with windows updates to get the Windows 10 upgrade to pop up you can even do it faster (if your a non power user just do windows updates it quicker)

You may need to download internet explorer 11 to get the Windows 10 thing working properly.

Run gather state (posted below on my mediafirelink) on the windows 7 install just install a windows 10 ISO over it press skip when asked for a serial then do this

Run my program below to get your genuine ticket from old windows install and save it to a USB or something.

Now follow this guide once installing windows 10

1) Unplug your internet
2)Open an Admin command prompt and type
net stop clipsvc

Minimize it for later

3)Copy GenuineTicket.xml to C:\programdata\microsoft\windows\clipsvc\genuineticket\

4)In the Admin command prompt type
net start clipsvc

Then Connect online.

Last edited by a moderator:
Snowy

Snowy

Let it snow
Hidden Devils
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Yes.

Also if you don't wanna bother with windows updates to get the Windows 10 upgrade to pop up you can even do it easier

Run gather state on the windows 7 install just install a windows 10 ISO over it press skip when asked for a serial then do this

1) Unplug your internet
2)Open an Admin command prompt and type
net stop clipsvc

Minimize it for later

3)Copy GenuineTicket.xml to C:\programdata\microsoft\windows\clipsvc\genuineticket\

4)In the Admin command prompt type
net start clipsvc

Then Connect online.

Gatherstate.exe to create genuine ticket.xml on your windows 7/8 install
https://www.mediafire.com/?i6dau99g68nqbv5
You've confused me. What am I supposed to do? Install windows 10 without using a product key on the new pc, then do the above on the old pc and copy the genuine ticket xml to my new pc?

Prefix_NA

Prefix_NA

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
Sin$
You've confused me. What am I supposed to do? Install windows 10 without using a product key on the new pc, then do the above on the old pc and copy the genuine ticket xml to my new pc?

If you don't want to deal with the automated process for windows 10 upgrade this is a poweruser way (if you do lots of pc upgrades like me its much faster)

You can install the w10 iso with no serial just by pressing skip but if your kinda new to this stuff just grab windows updates it will get windows 10 for u (may need a few reboots).

Snowy

Snowy

Let it snow
Hidden Devils
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
If you don't want to deal with the automated process for windows 10 upgrade this is a poweruser way (if you do lots of pc upgrades like me its much faster)

You can install the w10 iso with no serial just by pressing skip but if your kinda new to this stuff just grab windows updates it will get windows 10 for u (may need a few reboots).
I think I'm getting it. I run the update program on the old pc and use the ISO it creates on the new pc?

Prefix_NA

Prefix_NA

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
Sin$
I think I'm getting it. I run the update program on the old pc and use the ISO it creates on the new pc?
Meh just do the windows updates if your just doing 1 pc its not bad just spam windows update reboot windows update reboot windows update reboot until it pops up with windows 10.

Snowy

Snowy

Let it snow
Hidden Devils
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Meh just do the windows updates if your just doing 1 pc its not bad just spam windows update reboot windows update reboot windows update reboot until it pops up with windows 10.
I'm not sure if you understand what I'm trying to achieve. I'm trying to use the free upgrade from one pc on another one

Bear

Bear

Fabled Veteran Mr. Nice Guy 10th Anniversary
Reaction score
Sin$
I believe Microsoft made it to where you can activate Windows 10 with Windows 7/8 keys. So...

Download Windows 10
Burn the ISO/Make a bootable USB
Install Windows 10
Activate Windows 10 with Windows 7 key

Snowy

Snowy

Let it snow
Hidden Devils
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
I believe Microsoft made it to where you can activate Windows 10 with Windows 7/8 keys. So...

Download Windows 10
Burn the ISO/Make a bootable USB
Install Windows 10
Activate Windows 10 with Windows 7 key
Great, that might work, thanks.

Prefix_NA

Prefix_NA

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
Sin$
I'm not sure if you understand what I'm trying to achieve. I'm trying to use the free upgrade from one pc on another one
Oh no that doesn't work just install w7 on that other pc then upgrade. Pirated 7 into 10 works fine.

Top Bottom
Login
Register