Force host without bridge (although you do need a a router)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Game Modding' started by h3ypp7, Dec 6, 2008 with 33 replies and 6,659 views.

1. h3ypp7

h3ypp7 Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Well yes, I have done it. I forced host without bridging, which I hate doing because of the setup.
    I will write guide sometime today, but for now enjoy this.
    [Click here to view the link]

[​IMG]

I don't comprehend how to edit my posts....
    So.
    All you have to do is set the same firewall rules you set on the ones you bridge (i.e. block everything that is not
    206.13.213.20-206.13.213.255)
    To do this, do not allow communication from your Xbox's network IP to every other IP that is not that one. (i.e. again,let's say you want to block anything that is not 65.65.65.65, you would block from 0.0.0.0 to 65.65.65.64, and make another rule to block from 65.65.65.66 to 255.255.255.255.)
    Add your Xbox's local IP to the allowed list. (preventive measure, though im pretty sure you don't need to)
    Make sure you skip your friend's IP in the block rule (look two setps up)
    This way your frinds can join, then do the same process, start the game and wait for a good 10 seconds, and shut off the block rules, you should find a match with you being te host.

It does sound more complicated, but it really isn't, and this way you
    1. Reduce lag from having your computer running a bridge
    2. Don't have to mess with actually making a bridge

The only downside is that you need to have your friends find their own IP and tell it to you, since you can't commview them. I don't have a problem with this since my friends are usually not retarded.

2. IzzY

IzzY Getting There

Ratings:
    Im pretty sure that alot of us dont have firewalls on our routers?

3. going down00

going down00 Enthusiast

Ratings:
    If you have a router then you have a firewall or a protection of some sort. If u just have a "router" that just allows multiple connections then its a hub.

[Click here to view the link]

they have guides on how to access your router.

4. IzzY

IzzY Getting There

Ratings:
    [​IMG]
    i dont see any firewall.

5. OP
    h3ypp7

h3ypp7 Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Port forwarding/triggering.
    Do not allow connection from your Xbox's local IP to any IP not listed up there and that is not your friends. On UDP port 3074.

Or it could also be Block Services.

6. AcuraRiders1325

AcuraRiders1325 Newbie

Ratings:
  7. OP
    h3ypp7

h3ypp7 Enthusiast

Ratings:
    New better way.
    Much better way.
    I'll post it later.
    Much less rules needed, basically just as easy as the bridging one.

8. bubblebuddyi

bubblebuddyi Enthusiast

Ratings:
    If its just as easy as the bridging one, why not do the bridging one? Also this isnt recommended for multi-xboxs is a household. (AKA brother's or sister's playing a different xbox on the same router.)

9. OP
    h3ypp7

h3ypp7 Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Because the bridging one makes a mess of cables going to my pc then balbalbalbalbala. Im not unwiring my network to do this.
    In any case, i just blocked my Xbox off the internet and allowed trusted IP's.
    To do this, you have to block 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255 on UDP port 3074, then allow the IP's stated above.
    You should normally have this switched off , and only turn it on when beggining a match search, then back off after 10 seconds. Plus you won't get caught for bridging.

This is how it looks now
    [​IMG]

Plus, this is not OS dependant, so if you're so inclined, you could even run this from a PSP.

The first way is better, I'm having serious trouble with the second one.

10. brazil201

brazil201 Newbie

Ratings:
  11. OP
    h3ypp7

h3ypp7 Enthusiast

Ratings:
    I prefer working with Router settings than doing a freaking bridge. They never work for me. But to each his own.

12. GLthegamemaster

GLthegamemaster Enthusiast

Ratings:
    I was about to say, I have spent like a week just trying to get a freaking bridge to work, and no one will help me and I've tried following every tut here. I haven't tried this way, but hopefully it works.

13. OP
    h3ypp7

h3ypp7 Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Anything just hit me up here and I'll try and see what I can do.

14. xCKx Holy Chaos

xCKx Holy Chaos Newbie

Ratings:
    Thats really cool, hmm
    i got to try that, i dedicate time to it in christmas
    hey h3yppe, invisibilty possibilities! lol!
    thanks h3yppe, ive seen it work first hand!!

15. Mr. COD4

Mr. COD4 Enthusiast

Ratings:
    I have a standby button on my modem, and I do not have a router. Can I standby myself host like in H2 instead of doing all this?

16. GodSlam

GodSlam Getting There

Ratings:
    I'd also like to know this. I tried forcing host using my router and it doesn't seem to work too well for me. I could be doing something wrong though.

17. OP
    h3ypp7

h3ypp7 Enthusiast

Ratings:
    My method in no way uses a standby, so I would not know, but judging by how the system works, it *COULD* works if you leave it on for a good set of time before your friends lag out, which in the cases I have screwed up its about 7 seconds, i.e. not enough for you to get set as the host.
    Maybe you can increase your chances, but probably not force yourself.

18. copenhagenkid52

copenhagenkid52 Newbie

Ratings:
  19. OP
    h3ypp7

h3ypp7 Enthusiast

Ratings:
    I have a D-Link DI-604, but any router that allows you to control access (block IP's from entering certain ports) will suffice.

20. Kern

Kern Newbie

Ratings:
    Does your router need to have 2 ports? because i have my 360 connected by the wireless adapter. And my comp is somehow not connecting it...