What's new

Solved For my first build...

Raw

Raw

Misunderstood
Mythical Veteran Programmer Stickied
Reaction score
Sin$
What you guys think? I'll like some advice.
1-http://pcpartpicker.com/user/W3LSH/saved/6sHrxr
Or this one
2-http://pcpartpicker.com/user/W3LSH/saved/yXmWGX

Selena Gomez

Selena Gomez

Retired
Retired
Video Connoisseur CotM Beginning of An Odyssey
Reaction score
Sin$
Both are great, only difference I see is the i5 vs i7 which is all user preference. i7 won't make a huge difference right now.

Cosmic Owl

Cosmic Owl

Determination!
Content Team
VIP
MotM Stickied Journalist
Reaction score
Sin$
The i7 doesn't seem to cost much more. Honestly, I'd just spend the extra money, unless you wanted to save a bit. Bossman is right, though, you won't get much more out of the i7 for gaming compared to the i5.

Sanctorum

Sanctorum

Banned
Reaction score
Sin$
Hyper 212 EVO does not belong in a $1500 build. PSU in both builds is horrible. No need for a full sized case, and an ATX motherboard looks odd in a full sized case anyway. The V300's aren't very good, so I'd definitely change that. I honestly wouldn't bother with a 980, it's not worth the extra $200 or so.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/gMQF3C
Cheaper and better. You could change it around a little to get a 980, if you really had to. Or you could probably change it enough to grab a 2nd 970.

Sanctorum

Sanctorum

Banned
Reaction score
Sin$
There's no point in sacrificing the i7 for the 970 just go with the i5 and 980 combo. You'll get better longevity in the long run.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xG4KMp
No such thing as future proofing. For 1080p, or even 1440p, a single GTX 970 is more than enough anyway and you'd see more benefit from an i7 and 970, over an i5 and 980. Also, again, no need for a full sized case, whatsoever. PSU is poorer than what I suggested. Also, Intel 8 series boards don't support Haswell refresh unless they have been updated, which the majority haven't since they've been sitting in storage. You can't update an 8 series board without an original Haswell CPU so that motherboard is useless, unless you're willing to take a risk on whether or not it's updated.

Brian Runs This

Brian Runs This

Sleep is the cousin of death
Fabled Veteran Jokester Forum Addict
Reaction score
Sin$
No such thing as future proofing. For 1080p, or even 1440p, a single GTX 970 is more than enough anyway and you'd see more benefit from an i7 and 970, over an i5 and 980. Also, again, no need for a full sized case, whatsoever. PSU is poorer than what I suggested. Also, Intel 8 series boards don't support Haswell refresh unless they have been updated, which the majority haven't since they've been sitting in storage. You can't update an 8 series board without an original Haswell CPU so that motherboard is useless, unless you're willing to take a risk on whether or not it's updated.
Who are you to tell op what they want and don't want? If OP wants a full sized ****ing case let him ****ing have it. Your only job/task is too fit his preference into his budget, not to what YOU want. After an i5 you won't see hardly any performance difference if any at all by upgrading your processor. The i5 + 980 combo is better and saying that is not shows you're obviously biased as f***. In my personal experience most motherboards are updated before they leave the manufacturer. Considering the refresh came out last fall it almost certain that the damn motherboard would support the cpu out the box. The PSU I posted is actually good, I'd say any bronze rated power supply from a reputable manufacturer is good to go. The only reason why you say yours is better than mine is because it's more expensive and modular. While true to a certain extent, to me it's not worth the extra cash being spent on gold rated power and modular cables.

Quick side note: I see you posting around here like you know everything about computer hardware. Here's a tip: become more open minded about new ideas and other ways people look at things instead of being a pessimistic ***hole who degrades everyone's post negatively and instead of actually giving positive constructive criticism.

Sanctorum

Sanctorum

Banned
Reaction score
Sin$
Who are you to tell op what they want and don't want? If OP wants a full sized ****ing case let him ****ing have it. Your only job/task is too fit his preference into his budget, not to what YOU want. After an i5 you won't see hardly any performance difference if any at all by upgrading your processor. The i5 + 980 combo is better and saying that is not shows you're obviously biased as ****. In my personal experience most motherboards are updated before they leave the manufacturer. Considering the refresh came out last fall it almost certain that the damn motherboard would support the cpu out the box. The PSU I posted is actually good, I'd say any bronze rated power supply from a reputable manufacturer is good to go. The only reason why you say yours is better than mine is because it's more expensive and modular. While true to a certain extent, to me it's not worth the extra cash being spent on gold rated power and modular cables.

Quick side note: I see you posting around here like you know everything about computer hardware. Here's a tip: become more open minded about new ideas and other ways people look at things instead of being a pessimistic ***hole who degrades everyone's post negatively and instead of actually giving positive constructive criticism.
Okay, go ahead and show me exactly where I said OP had to do what I said. I've been working with computers for a long time, I know what goes well with what. This section is for suggesting builds/changes/improvements and that's exactly what I do. What I said, was that a full sized case looks ridiculous with a ATX sized board, because it does. The same way that a mid sized case looks ridiculous with an mATX board. XL-ATX and EATX boards belong in full sized cases. You're a moron if you think there's no performance boost in an i7. There is. For gaming, granted, the i5 is enough and there isn't a huge performance boost with an i7, but for gaming, the 980 is not $200 better than a 970, unless you're using a 4K panel, and even then, I wouldn't bother with a 980. There's literally nothing biased in what I said, that makes zero sense. Boards are updated before leaving the manufacturer, however, they sit in storage at stores(NewEgg etc), there's a very good chance you will receive a motherboard with an older BIOS, rendering your CPU incompatible. Like I said, take the risk if you want. I never said the PSU you suggested was bad, just that the one I suggested is better, because it is, that's just a fact. Also, no, the reason what I suggested is better, is because it's gold certified, as opposed to bronze, has a much better OEM and uses better hardware. I definitely consider $20 extra worth it, especially since PSU is the heart of your PC. I'm not actually sure what OEM the Hive series use, but it'd be worth checking out possibly.

I post around about what I know from experience with actual hardware, not from what I read online. I am very open minded about new ideas and I actually love to be proven wrong. If I believe something, you have to prove me wrong, otherwise, I'm going to continue to disagree, obviously, anyone would. Granted, I can be stubborn though. If someone says something wrong, I'm going to correct them, as you should. I do look through builds to find stuff that doesn't fit, because I simply want whichever user is being assisted, to get the best they can, this s why it's better for OP's and members to discuss stuff on a thread, not just have a verbal battle. Granted, I don't mention parts I agree with, I should probably start doing so. :thumbsup:

P.S. Not a sarcastic thumbs up FYI. Also, don't really appreciate being called an "***hole".

Top Bottom
Login
Register