Flashing

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Support Archive' started by MBH, Aug 7, 2009 with 4 replies and 325 views.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MBH

MBH Newbie

Ratings:
    Well I joined a few weeks ago and im pretty retarded when it comes to modding, hacking, and flashing. I dont even know what flashing really is. I know its some sort of hacking thing. But that is why im posting this because my xbox 360 is getting the "OPEN TRAY" error. I have looked at different tuts for possible fixes but dont know a dang thing about sata cards and all the other stuff.

So basically I need to fix my xbox. If I Flash a new dvd drive could i get caught? If I have to update it in the future, would it just be cheaper to send it to Microsoft?

Any help would be great!

2. gh0st3

gh0st3 Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Flashing is basically putting a firmware on your DVD drive. You can put modified firmware to put burned games.

3. EclipseModz

EclipseModz Retired Retired

Ratings:
    In order to replace your drive. You need to extract the firmware off the original one. Then you need to take the dvd key out. Extract the firmware out of the new drive. Insert the key into the new dvd drives firmware. Then if you want make modded firmware. If the drive are different models. Then the new drive needs to be told to respond like the old one. Then you flash the firmware to the new drive.

4. OP
    MBH

MBH Newbie

Ratings:
    Thanks dude. So If I did get a new drive what would be the benefits of modding the firmware on it? Sorry if that sounds dumb but I really don't know a lick of anything about this stuff.

5. EclipseModz

EclipseModz Retired Retired

Ratings:
    Either way if you get a new drive you have to flash it. Whether you mod it or not is up to you. Modding the firmware will allow you to play burned games.