What's new

Discussion Fixing packet loss and increasing download speeds + change your IP address [easy]

• Thread starter AzzidReign
  • Start date
  • Views 3,483
AzzidReign

AzzidReign

Teabaggin in 2024
Administrator
Platinum Record A Milli Tutorial Creator
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
For a long time now I've had issues where I would get random lag spikes. Prior to tonight, they said my line was bad so I moved my router and modem into another room (gotta try bringing it back to the original spot where it is more convenient) which helped it some and I even had them come out and do a new line at the new location, no change. Lately, it's just been getting really bad where every 30-120 seconds I was getting packet loss in Rocket League (huge lag spikes tho the ping never changed). I had called my ISP the other day and since it was during the day (when I never get packet loss), they couldn't see any issues and I couldn't show them the issues, so they did their typical "it's your wireless connection" HA! My wireless connection after this fix is getting 97mbps download out of 100mbps download package.

This is likely for people like me who like to own their own equipment as I'm sure the ISP equipment is deployed with whatever they need. But I bought my own modem and router so I wasn't paying the rental fees AND it ended up improving my speed by 30% (like 4 years ago) and this fix improved it again by 25-30%.

First, make sure it is your ISP and not a game or server/website you are trying to connect to. Download this:
Ping Plotter

On the right column, there is a PL%, which will show if you are getting any packet loss and which relays it is coming from. For me, it was 5-6 relays from my ISP that were getting significant packet losses (10-20%). Below is a graph that will show when there are significant spikes. For me, it was every 30-120 seconds where I would see a huge red vertical red line and my latency was also in the red for most relays. Happy to say, it is now in the green and my ping in Rocket League is down from 80's to 30's.

If what I'm describing is happening to you, call your ISP. Make sure you've done the whole "reset the network" bit, where you unplug for 5 minutes and replug everything back in. Let them know you tried all of that and that you want them to look at the boot file to make sure it is configured properly for your speed package. Once they did that, I wasn't getting any packet loss (and have been testing it for the last 10 minutes, still none).

I had also noticed I was hit with a DoS/DDoS the other night so I wanted to change my IP address. If you are going to do this, make sure that your router is compatible with IPv6 first (might have to upgrade the firmware).

Directly connect your PC or laptop into your modem
Open up Command Prompt (use the search or run feature and type 'cmd') (sorry Apple users, you can find the equivalent).
Type:
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

This should give you a new IP address. For me, I went from IPv4 to IPv6 so I had to mess around with the router settings and reboot a few times before things were honky dory.

Sadly, there is very little information on Google searches on this so I hope this finds someone that needs it. It's a super easy fix. For me, I got in the online chat with my ISP IT, they did the boot file, and then I did the ip change and router config. After you do all of that, make sure to open Ping Plotter again to make sure everything is fixed.

Side note:
Anyone playing Rocket League and wanting to get a server IP address to test (which is what I was doing), you can check this reddit thread.

Prefix_NA

Prefix_NA

Seasoned Member
Mythical Veteran Legendary Veteran Fabled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
This is likely for people like me who like to own their own equipment as I'm sure the ISP equipment is deployed with whatever they need. But I bought my own modem and router so I wasn't paying the rental fees AND it ended up improving my speed by 30% (like 4 years ago) and this fix improved it again by 25-30%.
Did it improve packetloss/ping?

I get 85mbps down now (pay for 60) and the new box I get seems decent I have considered getting a router myself except our stupid plan we are on requires us to rent the box even if we get our own.

when i had Fairpoint DSL I was paying for 5mbps and getting less than 2 and at night ping was insane would take 3 minutes to load a facebook page and 500+ ping in league.

Jaykae

Jaykae

Removed
Grammar Nazi Hardened Veteran Reporter
Reaction score
Sin$
Changing your wireless channel can help too - if it's the same channel as people in your area, you will get issues/lag.

OMGnanerpus

OMGnanerpus

cyan:wave2:Buying burnt food!
Retired
Lifetime
AzzidReign Jr End of the Year 2012 Legendary Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
I've been noticing lag spikes the past few days in LoL. Downloaded ping plotter just out of curiosity. not quite sure i understand it. lol
Three of my PL# are at 100% and the last is at 80%. Does this mean that just one of my relays is losing 20% of packets? Or am i way off?
8c6972137e7471ba0137e7b7f9db4fe9.png

AzzidReign

AzzidReign

Teabaggin in 2024
Administrator
Platinum Record A Milli Tutorial Creator
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Came here to provide the link for a staff member only to see there have been replies when I never had them show up in my watched threads :frown: Sorry guys.
Did it improve packetloss/ping?

I get 85mbps down now (pay for 60) and the new box I get seems decent I have considered getting a router myself except our stupid plan we are on requires us to rent the box even if we get our own.

when i had Fairpoint DSL I was paying for 5mbps and getting less than 2 and at night ping was insane would take 3 minutes to load a facebook page and 500+ ping in league.
Yes, this fixed my packet loss / ping issues.
Changing your wireless channel can help too - if it's the same channel as people in your area, you will get issues/lag.
You are correct, for anyone that is in an apartment or dorm. My lot is big enough that most of the routers around me don't show up unless I'm at a specific spot in the house that is closest to them.
I've been noticing lag spikes the past few days in LoL. Downloaded ping plotter just out of curiosity. not quite sure i understand it. lol
Three of my PL# are at 100% and the last is at 80%. Does this mean that just one of my relays is losing 20% of packets? Or am i way off?
8c6972137e7471ba0137e7b7f9db4fe9.png
It looks like you are getting some packet loss at your ISP level (the 80% one). The other 100% ones are typical but that boston1.level3 looks like ISP level packet loss. And viewing the bottom graph shows that you are getting into some latency issues. I would definitely check with your ISP to see if this can get resolved on your end. The IT online chat was the most help. Calling them got me a bunch of idiots that I just couldn't stand to talk to. They had no idea about how I was finding out where the packet loss was coming from *smh*. But yeah, if you own your own equipment, make sure they check your boot file and make sure your modem is properly configured. Could also be a line issue that needs to be replaced.

Top Bottom
Login
Register