Fixing Computer

Discussion in 'PC Support Archive' started by Jebus Saves, Jul 9, 2009 with 7 replies and 138 views.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jebus Saves

Jebus Saves Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Dell Dimension 2400
    Intel Celeron Processor 1.1 GHz
    256MB RAM (2x 128MB SDRAM)
    Supports up to 1GB RAM per slot (2 slots)
    Windows XP Pro SP2

I've been having problems with it restarting on its own, usually while watching videos, playing flash games, or doing things like scanning for viruses/spyware and defragging. After searching around, it seems there are a few possible problems.

1. Bad power source
    2. Bad/not enough RAM
    3. Overheating

There is a lot of dust in it, so that may be the problem. But the case is sealed with tamperproof screws, so it's a bit difficult to open. I kind of wanted to upgrade the RAM anyway, so I was thinking of just getting a new power source and RAM and cleaning it out when I installed them. However, I'm having trouble shopping for RAM. On Newegg I found a combo deal for a power source and two 1GB sticks of RAM. However, they're DDR2, which I don't think is compatible with my computer.

On Crucial.com I found RAM compatible with my computer, but it's much more expensive ($45 for 1GB). Should I just get 1GB for Crucial and get the power source separate? I'm not planning on running games or anything on this old thing. It's just to tide me over until I can afford a gaming-capable PC. So would 1GB be enough? Any other suggestions for power sources, RAM, or solving my auto-restart problem?

Thank you.

2. Ibdc

Ibdc Retired Retired

Ratings:
    It's up to you really whether or not you want to upgrade. More RAM definitely does help with speed, but really that's a pretty old system you got there, that processor isn't helping your speed much either, and you can't really upgrade CPU's like you would with RAM. In my honest opinion you're about due for a new computer.

3. OP
    Jebus Saves

Jebus Saves Enthusiast

Ratings:
    The problem is that I really can't afford a new system right now. I have a little more that $200 right now and my job doesn't pay much. I just want this one to last until I can afford to get a new one. Thanks though.

4. MyS!ze

MyS!ze Enthusiast

Ratings:
    I feel your restarting issue.
    I had it too, except with a blue screen, popped the case open and my heatsync thing was jam packed with dust, cleaned that out and i havent had a problem since, it runs like brand new, hardly makes a noise

5. Pieceman

Pieceman VIP VIP

Ratings:
    Save your money for a new computer.

For your immediate problem I'm about 90% sure it's overheating and shutting down because the CPU is getting too hot. Go at that *** with some compressed air and get it nice and cleaned out(don't forget the fans/vent slots). This way you're not dumping money down the drain on a system that's obviously outdated.

6. Madman340

Madman340 Seasoned Member

Ratings:
    RAM issues are usually identifiable by a BSOD (Blue screen of death) unless the sticks themselves are overheating, which may result in an instant shutdown.

Like the P-man said, clean the ***** out.

7. OP
    Jebus Saves

Jebus Saves Enthusiast

Ratings:
    The only times I've had a blue screen are when browsing thumbnail view folders, caused by i81xdnt5.dll (I think that's what it's called). From what I've found, that driver's known to cause blue screen when browsing large thumbnail galleries, so I think that's unrelated.

I've tried cleaning it with compressed air before, but I didn't know how to remove the screws so I had to do it through the ventilation holes.:S Doubt I got everything. I think I'll just try and clean it out and maybe get a stick of 256MB RAM or something.

Oh and I heard that putting the page file on a separate drive can help with speed. Can I put it on a USB drive or something?

Thanks for everybody's help.

8. OP
    Jebus Saves

Jebus Saves Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Okay, so I finally cleaned out my computer. It turns out I didn't have to remove any screws, just move the latch and slide the side off <_< (yeah I'm dumb). The heat sink was really dirty, but I'm pretty sure I got a majority of the dust out. I also got a 2GB USB drive and moved the page file to it, which seems to make it a bit quicker. Unfortunately, it still restarted while scanning for viruses. So I'm thinking it's something else. I'm probably gonna go ahead and get a stick of 512MB or 256MB RAM from Crucial and hope that works.

Also, while cleaning it out I found 2 cables unplugged. They were both connected to the bottom front of the computer. I plugged one of them into the only spot I could find that it would fit, but the other one couldn't reach any of the slots. Should I have just left these alone?