• Thread starter BlackShadowGS
  • Start date
  • Views 2,087
BlackShadowGS

BlackShadowGS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
So, I got this idea recently to put an Xbox into an old case that I had lying around. The build should only take about a month or two but that's only because I'm limited on supplies atm. Well anyway, I plan on making a video or two over the whole design process so keep an eye out for that. So with the case I plan on making a bunch of new additions including adding an old router for LAN parties.

Supplies
  • 2 USB Extenders
  • Fan Controller
  • 2 80mm fans
  • 2 80mm fan grills
  • Rubber washers(for standoffs to prevent short circuits)
  • Green vinyl wrap
  • Rotary Tool
  • Router
  • Solder
  • Soldering iron
  • Heat shrink tubing
  • Plexiglass(maybe)

So the case I'll be using is an old Dell Inspiron.
dell-inspiron-620-core-i5-quad-core-mini-tower-for-449_large.jpg
The power button and HDD light are almost the exact same size as the Xbox's RF board. So that will be a matter of only drilling the holes out and sanding them down. Then I should just be able to hot glue it in place. Next to get the Disc Drive to fit into bay #1, I'll have to grind down the screw holes so that it can slide in. Then, the fan controller will be pretty easy. Since the bay is a 5.25in slot and so is the Controller, I think you all can see thats a piece of cake. Now comes the part where I'll be cutting out some of the aluminum. I'll have to cut out two 80mm fan slots on top, the chassis that holds the motherboard, the back of case where the I/O ports are, and finally some of the xbox's chassis for parts. The reason I'll be cutting the chassis of the Xbox is because for one, I won't be needing it anymore, and secondly I'll need it for the new I/O ports. So after I cut out all the aluminum I'll have to fit in the motherboard for both the Xbox and the router and make drill holes. I'll have to use some sort of stand-offs so plastic/rubber washers should do just the trick. Next I'm going to mess with the card reader and USB ports in the front of the case. This is where I plan on installing a new USB port extender, and two of the controller slots. The reason I'm only keeping two is because I don't plan on playing with more than one person and if I do, thats why I'm installing the router for LAN parties. Then I'll install the two 80mm fans. Now here comes the annoying part. Wiring all the cables. Ill be install one internal USB ports for random devices I might want, and the second one which will be on the outside I/O port. Ill be soldering those to the second controller port board that holds controller 3 and 4. Then I'll have to extend the RF board's wires. Finally I'll have to either get a 4 pin molex Y splitter or branch of power to the Fan Controller. The new fans should be fine saying as how I bought 3 pin extenders. Finally all I'll need to do is make sure every thing looks good inside and work on the outside plastic caver of the case. The case has quite a lot of scratches on the front so I'll be using green carbon fiber vinyl wrap on it. Now all thats left to do, will be to connect everything and power it on.

BlackShadowGS

BlackShadowGS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Sorry for the few spelling errors, I had to rush the post

BitTorrent

BitTorrent

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
This seems pretty cool. I would like to see someone modify a compact case for a Nintendo 64. Post pictures when done!

BlackShadowGS

BlackShadowGS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
This seems pretty cool. I would like to see someone modify a compact case for a Nintendo 64. Post pictures when done!
Thanks, and I've actually thought about doing a N64 and Atari before. I'll probably post a step by step video and finished product video in the next month or two!

x712

x712

Reaction score
Sin$
I actually did something like that a few years ago. The case is definitely key. I did a multi build that had an Original Xbox, a Ps2 slim, and a Nintendo Wii stuffed inside. I'll see if I still have pics of it on my old iPhone. It was a challenge but it was super fun. The Xbox portion was the easiest because of the length of the IDE ribbon to get everything placed. Ps2 Slim I actually cut the top of the PC case and flush mounted the Slim case to fit. The Wii was the easiest to find a spot for since the drive has no tray. Cut a slit towards the bottom and that was the disc slot for the drive bay. Thinking about doing another one. The thing sold for almost $400.00 USD on Craigslist.

I am sure you've seen the picture of the N64 Table floating around the net. If not, look it up! That's one I plan on making this summer. Huge N64 fan. Lol.

VexxVoid

VexxVoid

Semi Colon Close Parenthesis
Reaction score
Sin$
Any progress on this? Looking forward to seeing it finished.

BlackShadowGS

BlackShadowGS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
It's been over a year and I still haven't been able to finish this project. It's my senior year and a lot has come in the way. I managed to get most of the wiring done. Ive mounted almost everything on the inside but I still need to work on the USB ports. I had to scrap the idea of the internal router which stinks, but I had no other choice due to space. I'll post some pictures later on when I get home if I can to let you all see it. I'll have a week off next week to work on all my projects so hopefully I'll finish it by then!

Dabs

Dabs

Gang gang gang gang gang gang gang
Reaction score
Sin$
I think a Pc in a Xbox case would also be cool :tongue:

HYX

HYX

Administrator
Administrator
Lifetime
Hidden Devils
Scaling the Mountain Programmer Odysseus' Summit
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
I've seen people do this before successfully. That being said I am wanting to find the Mac Pro from back in the day with the gray case and put a RGH 360 inside as if it was a XDK console.

Top Bottom
Login
Register