• Thread starter Matermine
  • Start date
  • Views 5,099
M

Matermine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Well, I tried my own painting tutorial, and it didn't work out too well. Probably because I didn't balance the paint amounts. So I stuck with the original white.

Took me awhile to understand how to wire LEDs (sad, I know) because the damn calculator at ledcalc.org showed only one wire going from positive to negative.

Anyways, I finally got it done, and I was again, stupid with wiring. I wrapped electrical tape around each leg of every LED (5 total) and stuck it between the holes in the case.

Very bad idea. Shorts out if it touches the case the slightest bit. After installing them, I realized it would've been much easier to install them on a piece of plexi and glue the plexi on, but that's for my next case.

After cutting myself a few times (not emo), fully closing and opening the case about 5 times, and burning myself once or twice, I present you with my first custom hardware mod. (Oh yeah, I had to almost completely destroy the bottom of the case to get it to fit :biggrin:)
phpx51ENHPM-1.jpg

phpkGuSWZPM.jpg

phpfCxgdlPM.jpg

Taken with my iPhone :biggrin:

It's up on craigslist at the moment, and I've been offered a few different items (iPhone/Desktop PC 3.2 ghz, 2 gig of ram, 160GB hd, dual layer burner with windows 7) Mainly looking for cash though. Oh, I don't know why I'm even saying this...Don't plan on shipping.

What do you guys think?

S

stitches335

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
That's pretty sick, Bro.

How much total did it cost you to make that? I'm thinking about making one (except I'm a little intimidated about cutting the case and making it look halfway decent :tongue:).

M

Matermine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
stitches335 said:
That's pretty sick, Bro.

How much total did it cost you to make that? I'm thinking about making one (except I'm a little intimidated about cutting the case and making it look halfway decent :tongue:).

Well, I pretty much went full out on spending. I bought a brand new dremel 400 xpr on ebay (included 41 accessories) for $61 shipped (I got a good deal). I got Acrylic instead of Plexi (more durable) and it cost about $7 for a 10x8 piece. I bought 100 LEDs for 3.50 shipped? Thank you Hong Kong.

I had wire laying around. A soldering iron/station cost $44 + solder ($6) + a new tip ($4)...It was quite expensive, but I love doing it.

Just went to radio shack and bought 24 guage wire, wire strippers, 2 switches, and about 25 resistors. Also went to Lowe's to get Plexi glass (Yes, I went cheap).

I don't really care about the cost. It's fun to do.

Making another Xbox that has 10 LEDs. 5 are blue and 5 are red, with a switch to switch colors. This next project shall be fun.

Oh, and if you do decide to do it, don't put the LEDs in the case like I did. Put them in a piece of Plexiglass and solder everything on there, put some electrical tap, and then glue it to the sides of the chasis. Don't have to worry about space and shorts.

Also just bought 50 blue LEDs for $3..

Here's what i got on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370321462494&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT <<< 100 LEDs - 5 different colors, 20 of each
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300385100187&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT <<< Dremel I bought
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300392031828&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT <<< 50 Blue LEDs
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110477720771&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT <<<<< I LOVE this tool. All the Torx you need to open the 360, and a screwdriver to open the DVD drive. Cheap too :smile:

Oh, and if you need cheap OEM shells for the 360, send an offer of $10 each (buy at least 2) and they will accept. Great deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280393575311&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
S

stitches335

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Awesome!

I just bought the 100 LED's (SOOO Friggin' cheap seeing as how they cost that much per 1 unit via Radioshack).

I'm gonna hold off on the Dremel tool for my Dad might have one lying around the house.

Also, was it at all hard Dremeling the shells? I mean, do you have experience with Dremeling because I don't know if I'm ready to start hacking into my Xbox shell yet. I'm not sure I'll do an aesthetically pleasing job.

M

Matermine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
stitches335 said:
Awesome!

I just bought the 100 LED's (SOOO Friggin' cheap seeing as how they cost that much per 1 unit via Radioshack).

I'm gonna hold off on the Dremel tool for my Dad might have one lying around the house.

Also, was it at all hard Dremeling the shells? I mean, do you have experience with Dremeling because I don't know if I'm ready to start hacking into my Xbox shell yet. I'm not sure I'll do an aesthetically pleasing job.

Xbox case was the first thing I dremel'd. It's simple, just don't force it. Let it do the cutting for you. Oh, and the case will melt. Expect it. Good thing it comes off easily with pliers leaving no mark.

S

stitches335

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Matermine said:
Xbox case was the first thing I dremel'd. It's simple, just don't force it. Let it do the cutting for you. Oh, and the case will melt. Expect it. Good thing it comes off easily with pliers leaving no mark.

Good deal man, just makin' sure I would be able to do it, hah.

M

mdwiemann

Reaction score
Sin$
Looks nice, I am waiting till I get my elite to chop it up, I have some pretty awesome plans people should like!

JZ nology

JZ nology

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
You did a pretty good job for your first box. It is a challenge if you have to figure out how to mod everything. LED's can be a beast to wire if your not all that good at soldering and what not. Case modding is very fun. Im doing another one of my friends boxes atm as well. Might I reccomend using the router attachment on the case cutting though. The cutting blades do make it melt and can be a little messy. The router attachment will give you more freedom. Check out my latest case mod. Its really a reward seeing all your hard work come together.
MyBoxaspx.jpg
:thumbup:

F

Furieux

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
M

Matermine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Furieux said:
why is the side grill cutted ???

Look what ive used as led :

Blue 15 LED SMD Waterproof Grill Strip Light Bulb 30cm - eBay (item 250559324375 end time Feb-05-10 07:37:38 PST)

I didn't solder anything i just took the wire of the led out of the xbox, and whenever i want to light my xbox, i just plug the led into a 12V adaptator. Also the led are sticked to the case so if i want to remove them its really really easy.

Again, just takes the fun out of it.

Yes, this case mod was HORRIBLE. I know. I just did another with a new technique and it came out great.

Hole in the grill because I overlapped the wires and it wouldnt fit without cutting.

F

Furieux

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I don't think it takes the fun out. It just simplify the wiring so much :tongue:

Good job anyway on your first case. Next time you should try to cut to window with rounded corner :smile:

M

Matermine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Furieux said:
I don't think it takes the fun out. It just simplify the wiring so much :tongue:

Good job anyway on your first case. Next time you should try to cut to window with rounded corner :smile:

Hmm...It's hard to do a rounded corner with a flat disc. Anyone care to explain what bit to use with the dremel to get round corners? As in a link :tongue:

F

Furieux

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
It's not really hard but you have to think about it !

Look at my case, i used the dremel to cut the HDD and case window.

http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/hardware-customizations/192091-my-sick-case-mod-nukebox.html

What i did :

1- I draw the holes directly on the case. Any kind of pen... it doesn't matter since you repainting it.

2- I use the dremel with the flat disc and i cut the the hole i just draw. I don't follow the line, i just try to remove the most plastic i can.

2- I switch the flat disc for a sander. Here's what it looks like :

dremel_sand1.jpg

3- I sand down what's left of the case right to the line i drew before. I use another type of sander to achieve the big curve, but the one i showed you would do the job perfectly.

If you have any questions feel free to ask ! :smile:

T

the1wildcard

Reaction score
Sin$
It's not really hard but you have to think about it !

Look at my case, i used the dremel to cut the HDD and case window.

http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/hardware-customizations/192091-my-sick-case-mod-nukebox.html

What i did :

1- I draw the holes directly on the case. Any kind of pen... it doesn't matter since you repainting it.

2- I use the dremel with the flat disc and i cut the the hole i just draw. I don't follow the line, i just try to remove the most plastic i can.

2- I switch the flat disc for a sander. Here's what it looks like :

dremel_sand1.jpg

3- I sand down what's left of the case right to the line i drew before. I use another type of sander to achieve the big curve, but the one i showed you would do the job perfectly.

If you have any questions feel free to ask ! :smile:
That is what I did on my mod I did today. it was my first and it looked pretty sick if I do say so myself :biggrin:

vnulol

vnulol

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
hah, you guys and your fancy dremel tools.

i did my window cut with a table saw. Damn right, that's how a man does it, not with a wimpy dremel.

I cut the original hole w/ drill press, than put the blade in from there, and cut around my drawn square. From there i just sanded it down w/ 400 grit. Used a rounded file to get it nice and smooth, and put a curve on all the sides so it wouldn't be sharp.

I melted the power points on my board so i had to buy the aurora light kit, and it came with a y cable so i could plug it into dvd drive/fans. Rather than using plexiglass, because i've used it before and it chips/shadders really quickly, i used polykarbonate (aka the stuff they use in bullet proof windows). As for paint, use a LAQUER, not an enamel. Any car paint will do, or paint that says "plastic" I just put 2 coats, didn't need a clear coat or a wet sand. but remember to use rubbing alcohol before hand.

my xbox is perhaps the most manly thing in my room now.

P

PurplePeopleRacks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
thats very sick bro nice job thumbs up to you man hope all that work was worth while i plan on making a nice shelby supersnake logo on mine.

ClarkeOne

ClarkeOne

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
Thats good man, how did you do the ring of light, I have been wanting to do that for a while now but my soldering iron is real S***. My link
Thats my one so far and im planning on using a pulsevu 2x on it but i need to find some more LED's for the UK. I also plan on buying two of these fans to put on each side of the cooling unit. http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FG-030-AK&groupid=701&catid=57&subcat=818

U

UsingOldAccount

Reaction score
Sin$
buy a ROL board off ebay or ioffer. got my blue one for my build for $20 shipped off i ofer

Top Bottom
Login
Register