Few Questions About Dev Kits

Discussion in 'Xbox 360' started by mojobojo, Dec 10, 2008 with 10 replies and 411 views.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mojobojo

mojobojo Enthusiast

Ratings:
    I have been looking at info on Dev Kits and havent found much. Maybe you guys know some stuff about them. Now before you guys start replying with nasty comments I just want to make clear that I dont have the proper knowledge to mod Halo 3 or anything else for that matter. I just like modding and want to take the next step with experimentation. Yes I know how much they cost and how hard they are to get, and I am willing to take the risk of loosing thousands of dollars at the expense of my happiness.

Do Dev Kits run burnt disks without firmware modifications?
    Do all disk content of other games have the encryption code that the Halo 3 Disk has?
    Do I need anything special to go online with my gamertag? I know I cant do stuff like matchmaking.

I do not intend on begging people to tell me how to mod games.

2. EnergiE

EnergiE Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Im pretty sure you can do matchmaking on a dev. I know it gives you the option to use your gamertag with xbox live so i dont see why you would not be able to do matchmaking. Though i may be wrong:smile:

3. OP
    mojobojo

mojobojo Enthusiast

Ratings:
    I heard that you cant. But Im just going by what I heard other people say. My whole goal is to have some fun, I dont intend on cheating in any way, shape, or form and I dont support cheating. So even if matchmaking is available, there is absolutely no way I will do it with mods. Nor will I reveal any information on how I modded anything; God forbid if every 12 year old got a hold of a Dev Kit.

4. EnergiE

EnergiE Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Ill ask a kid about it at my school tomorrow. I know he has one so he should know.

Either way it shouldn't effect what your trying to do.:smile:

5. Xpargas

Xpargas Seasoned Member

Ratings:
    Dev kits run on partnernet, i dont think you can play matchmaking on them.

also you cant play retail disc unless they are patched

6. OP
    mojobojo

mojobojo Enthusiast

Ratings:
    I didnt think partnernet could do matchmaking.
    Darn, I guess I better figure out how to patch disks. Thanks for the info.

7. Holy Ownage

Holy Ownage Getting There

Ratings:
    Xbox live on Pnet compared to Live! are exactly the same, excluding the marketplace.

Yes, you can burn off discs and run them. If they have the correct content on them that is though. You can do the same with a normal 360 if you use the right discs, but you are limited to what you can burn.

What makes Dev's desireable by the H3 modding community is the ability to obtain a map-check'less .xex.

.xex's are the executable that the 360 uses, like PC's and .exe, and an exploitable one is of which has the map checks that verify the maps integrity are removed.

8. lx leo xl

lx leo xl Getting There

Ratings:
    You can't run backups nor Run retails, you need to make new discs

9. Head Tax

Head Tax Premium Premium

Ratings:
    Taken from the .map modding discussion thread.

10. OP
    mojobojo

mojobojo Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Thanks but I read that. I wasnt just interested in halo 3 modding. I know that alot of knowlage is found by experementation; Im just kinda tired of con modding.

11. Holy Ownage

Holy Ownage Getting There

Ratings:
    You can run backups, you can FTP them to the HDD.
    And you have to modify the contents of the games slightly before you can play retail games.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.