Discussion Fallout 4 News: Survival Mode On Its Way

jack

jack

七転び八起き
Administrator
Scaling the Mountain Mythical Veteran MotM
Reaction score
Sin$
Bethesda took to Twitter to give a sneak peek at what their development team has been cooking up since the release of Fallout 4. It seems that the Survival mode from Fallout: New Vegas is to make a return in the upcoming update for Fallout 4, which is said to add necessity to food and drinks, beds, and conscientiousness of diseases and environmental dangers.

They also made sure to note that their upcoming plans for DLC has not slowed down. Although this isn't much of a teaser, it lets us know that Bethesda is not neglecting it and may intend to release more information or the actual DLC within the very near future.

No new information regarding the Creation Kit has been revealed, unfortunately, but this news ought to keep Fallout 4 owners interested until more information is released.

HDizzoDontPlizzo

HDizzoDontPlizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Do they mean they're making survival mode harder? That would be awesome

jack

jack

七転び八起き
Administrator
Reaction score
Sin$
Do they mean they're making survival mode harder? That would be awesome
I took it as they were reworking it. I'm sure they had plenty of ideas to go off of based on the mods for Fallout 3, New Vegas, and especially Skyrim. They're more than likely incorporating a lot of concepts from popular realism mods into this upcoming Survival setting. If they're not, they should be.

Master

Master

Magnanimous
10th Anniversary Grizzled Veteran Programmer
Reaction score
Sin$
Survival mode? I am not very informed about it. All I heard is that it was in the previous Fallout 3. I would like to know more about it.

HDizzoDontPlizzo

HDizzoDontPlizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Survival mode? I am not very informed about it. All I heard is that it was in the previous Fallout 3. I would like to know more about it.
As far as I know it is in the game already as a difficulty setting, however it isn't much of a challenge imo.

TheFiftySeventh

TheFiftySeventh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
There's survival difficulty which is already in the game. It does nothing more than; increase the frequency of legendary enemies, decrease how much damage you cause towards enemies, and increase how much they cause towards you.

"Survival Mode" will be similar to "Hardcore Mode" from Fallout: New Vegas, which implemented dehydration, starvation, and sleep deprivation. Meaning in order to survive you had to drink, eat, and sleep. That's what they're putting in to Fallout 4, though it seems they've expanded it a bit by including things like diseases. That's all I know about it so far.

That said, as much as I love F4, I was really disappointed with it, and this is just one more reason why. Something like this should've been in the game at release.

Red58

Red58

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I'm glad that they're listening to our feedback. They're genuinely trying to please the fans of this series.

jack

jack

七転び八起き
Administrator
Reaction score
Sin$
There's survival difficulty which is already in the game. It does nothing more than; increase the frequency of legendary enemies, decrease how much damage you cause towards enemies, and increase how much they cause towards you.

"Survival Mode" will be similar to "Hardcore Mode" from Fallout: New Vegas, which implemented dehydration, starvation, and sleep deprivation. Meaning in order to survive you had to drink, eat, and sleep. That's what they're putting in to Fallout 4, though it seems they've expanded it a bit by including things like diseases. That's all I know about it so far.

That said, as much as I love F4, I was really disappointed with it, and this is just one more reason why. Something like this should've been in the game at release.
Thank you for the clarification and the more in-depth explanation of hardcore mode from FNV. It's been awhile since I've played it; too long, it seems.

I agree with your being disappointed at F4's release. A lot of things that should have been there at release were not. I've stated this a few times here in this section, but I had always felt like the exploration lacked depth. There were so many cool areas and neat enemies to fight, but there was almost no reason to seek these areas out and with the frequency of enemies, it's easy to forget how cool the combat is. You're fighting so often that it becomes more of an annoyance than anything else and the Commonwealth actually felt overcrowded with enemies as a result.

To be fair, I think this Survival mode has its place in Fallout 4. More so than it did in previous Fallout games, in my view. I'm hoping for some darker nights mods, seasonal mods, and when this realism mode comes out, I hope it is expansive enough to include temperature, weather, and things of that nature in addition to needs of the character.

Jet1337

Jet1337

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Maybe I can finally cure my mole rat disease without using console commands.

FormCreeper

FormCreeper

Electronic Predator
Reaction score
Sin$
Im hard now. (Time to replay the game on this difficulty with fists only)

TheFiftySeventh

TheFiftySeventh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I'm all for a challenge and all, but survival, especially early in the playthrough, it just stupid. Having to shoot radroaches with multiple dozen rounds is simply stupid. Later in the game yeah it becomes nothing to worry about, but early on, I just find it annoying.

So I'm hoping you're not required to play at Survival Difficulty in order to have the survival aspects in the game too.

FormCreeper

FormCreeper

Electronic Predator
Reaction score
Sin$
I'm all for a challenge and all, but survival, especially early in the playthrough, it just stupid. Having to shoot radroaches with multiple dozen rounds is simply stupid. Later in the game yeah it becomes nothing to worry about, but early on, I just find it annoying.

So I'm hoping you're not required to play at Survival Difficulty in order to have the survival aspects in the game too.
Who needs a gun when you can john cena every thing.

HDizzoDontPlizzo

HDizzoDontPlizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$

I like the bare bones feeling to starting a playthrough on survival and working my way up. Just my opinion though

Red58

Red58

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Right? If I knew I was going to be stuck with an incurable disease, I would've killed that ****er before the quest started.
i think if you avoid getting hit by the rats (or possibly if you wear power armor?) you shouldn't get it at all.

Jet1337

Jet1337

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
i think if you avoid getting hit by the rats (or possibly if you wear power armor?) you shouldn't get it at all.

I was in power armor the whole time. It's also really hard not to get hit because of the fact that they burrow and pop up two feet away from you. I also didn't know at the time that I'd get a disease from getting bit.

TheFiftySeventh

TheFiftySeventh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
In either event, the disease only takes away 10 hit points. If you're surviving encounters with 10 or less hit points left, you may be biting off more than you can chew. Not getting bit is also true. Each time you are there's a chance of getting it. If you sneak through, avoid getting bitten, don't bring a companion and don't activate the protectron (If they're bitten, you get the disease), you shouldn't contract it.

I like the bare bones feeling to starting a playthrough on survival and working my way up. Just my opinion though
I'm with you on that, it is a good way of getting a challenging start. I just find it extremely annoying having to absolutely pump enemies with bullets, even at later levels with stronger weapons. For me it seems like a cheap way of making the game more difficult.

Last edited:
HDizzoDontPlizzo

HDizzoDontPlizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
In either event, the disease only takes away 10 hit points. If you're surviving encounters with 10 or less hit points left, you may be biting off more than you can chew. Not getting bit is also true. Each time you are there's a chance of getting it. If you sneak through, avoid getting bitten, don't bring a companion and don't activate the protectron (If they're bitten, you get the disease), you shouldn't contract it.

I'm with you on that, it is a good way of getting a challenging start. I just find it extremely annoying having to absolutely pump enemies with bullets, even at later levels with stronger weapons. For me it seems like a cheap way of making the game more difficult.
If you have to pump enemies full of bullets at end game, you are playing it wrong bud! haha just kidding, but I didn't have that issue :tongue:

Top Bottom
Login
Register