What's new

Solved Falcon JTAG - cannot create freeBOOT .bin

A

adktz

Reaction score
Sin$
Hey all, I’m trying to do my first JTAG, it's a Falcon Xbox 360 console on Dashboard 7371 with CB version 5766. It is missing a DVD drive (if it means anything).

I’m following this guide:
https://docs.google.com/View?id=dnfmv5h_30dw33vpf4
Using this for LPT wiring:
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a246/Grim187/SPI__JTAG_diagram_zephyr-falcon--1.jpg
This for JTAG wires:
http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/5687/newwiring.jpg
I have also bridged points 2 and 3 of U6T1 to protect the efuse.

Whenever I try and create a freeBOOT .bin file (using freeBOOT toolbox, tried versions 2.3, 2.4 and 2.4r3) , it fails at 38% and gives me the error “Your dump has not been properly extracted”. I have tried using the NAND raw flash from Xellous and the same file with the c1.bin file (first 2MB of NAND) written into it (command “nandpro fullnand1.bin: -w16 c1.bin 0”) but it gives me the same error.

Everything I have extracted from NANDPRO via LPT has been done multiple times, and I have compared the files and there are no differences. I have also tried restarting the guide (not including the soldering) and it still gives me the same problems. I’ve also tried opening the flash dump files with Degraded 1.1 but I get “Error - Couldn’t read file”.

Does anyone know what I’m doing wrong? Should I try using a different JTAG wiring diagram?

Any help would be highly appreciated!

tim008

tim008

Retired Diet Mod
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Why post, if you cannot help, doesn`t matter, its been reported as spam.

Right, i found that usung BestPig on Windows 7 gave this error, but when i went back and ran it on Vista or XP, it was fine.
Do you have access to another pc/laptop?

A

adktz

Reaction score
Sin$
Right, i found that usung BestPig on Windows 7 gave this error, but when i went back and ran it on Vista or XP, it was fine.Do you have access to another pc/laptop?

Hey, sorry I should have mentioned, I'm using Windows XP. I tried it on Windows 7 too (with Win98 compatability and Admin rights), but it gives me the same error.

At this stage I'm thinking I should remove the JTAG wires and pick another set of points?

Use a program called Jtag Tools. That happend to me before. :huh:

Cheers, I'll give that a go.

tim008

tim008

Retired Diet Mod
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Hey, sorry I should have mentioned, I'm using Windows XP. I tried it on Windows 7 too (with Win98 compatability and Admin rights), but it gives me the same error.
At this stage I'm thinking I should remove the JTAG wires and pick another set of points?
Cheers, I'll give that a go.
No, if you have compared your nands and they match, that is not the problem.

Brother Jordan

Brother Jordan

מספר אחד
VIP
Retired
Sinner Hardened Veteran MotM
Reaction score
Sin$
i have this error sometimes. if it doesnt say its the wrong CPU key, it might be how the dump is made. u might need to make the image urself, or use a premade nand with ur CPU key

A

adktz

Reaction score
Sin$
Okay, I've dumped the entire 16mb NAND (multiple times and compared) over LPT using Jtag Tool 2.01. Using Jtag Tool to create the freeBOOT .bin file, it gives me the error:
Code:
ERROR: File "data\crl.bin.meta" could not be opened.
ERROR: I/O error.
I'm not sure what this means? Kind of lost here... Loading that same NAND dump into freeBOOT Toolbox Maker gives the same error as before.

i have this error sometimes. if it doesnt say its the wrong CPU key, it might be how the dump is made. u might need to make the image urself, or use a premade nand with ur CPU key
Make the image myself? I thought that's what both Jtag Tool and the freeBOOT Toolbox Maker were doing when I loaded in my NAND; that was dumped via Xellous HTTP (and Jtag Tool via LPT).

I'm considering using a premade freeBOOT .bin file but I'm not sure if I will lose some console-specific information? I have my kv and CPU key which I'll use with bincrypt, any risk associated with this method?

x360xLuke

x360xLuke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Okay, I've dumped the entire 16mb NAND (multiple times and compared) over LPT using Jtag Tool 2.01. Using Jtag Tool to create the freeBOOT .bin file, it gives me the error:
Code:
ERROR: File "data\crl.bin.meta" could not be opened.
ERROR: I/O error.
I'm not sure what this means? Kind of lost here... Loading that same NAND dump into freeBOOT Toolbox Maker gives the same error as before.

Make the image myself? I thought that's what both Jtag Tool and the freeBOOT Toolbox Maker were doing when I loaded in my NAND; that was dumped via Xellous HTTP (and Jtag Tool via LPT).

I'm considering using a premade freeBOOT .bin file but I'm not sure if I will loose some console-specific information? I have my kv and CPU key which I'll use with bincrypt, any risk associated with this method?

If bestpig freeBOOT maker is not working you can always download ibuild v0.03 from xbins and create a completely new freeBOOT image. All you will need is your CPU key. The rest of the NAND is creating by using donor files.

xMechgamerx123x

xMechgamerx123x

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Thanks, I'll give that a go.
Yo you need to turn off win98 compatibility mode and just run as admin that fixed a problem I had with my falcon... also when u downloaded the image from a webpage make sure there's no antivirus running...

tripp419

tripp419

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
you can also try and create the image in best pig with your xbr image and not the original nand :wink: only works sometimes tho

tripp419

tripp419

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
flash back to original nand and make a few more reads until you get one to work with bestpig or like the other suggestions use ibuild and make the image yourself

A

adktz

Reaction score
Sin$
If bestpig freeBOOT maker is not working you can always download ibuild v0.03 from xbins and create a completely new freeBOOT image. All you will need is your CPU key. The rest of the NAND is creating by using donor files.
I'm trying to do that now, following the guide in the readme.txt
Code:
   3. Copy these files from "temp" to "data" directory

- crl.bin
- crl.bin.meta
- extended.bin
- extended.bin.meta
- kv.bin
- odd.bin
- odd.bin.meta
- secdata.bin
- secdata.bin.meta
- smc_config.bin
Of these files I only have kv.bin and smc_config. Where are the other files? Or do I find some donor files of those?

Yo you need to turn off win98 compatibility mode and just run as admin that fixed a problem I had with my falcon... also when u downloaded the image from a webpage make sure there's no antivirus running...
I'm using Windows XP and I also disabled antivirus when downloading image via Xellous HTTP.

Make a copy of the nand and open it up in hex editor
Change the 2005-2007 to 2007-2008
That should work
Hey, that didn't work.

you can also try and create the image in best pig with your xbr image and not the original nand :wink: only works sometimes tho

How do I do this, is there a guide you can link to? Thanks

A

adktz

Reaction score
Sin$
Okay, I just tried using ibuild to create a freeBOOT image. Using donor files, my kv.bin and 7371 NAND, I created a 9199 freeBOOT image. Flashed it to the Xbox 360 using updflash and got a black screen and flashing green light. So flashed back to my earlier free60 NAND and it's okay now.

I'm considering using a premade freeBOOT .bin file but I'm not sure if I will lose some console-specific information? I have my kv and CPU key which I'll use with bincrypt, any risk associated with this method?

Top Bottom
Login
Register