What's new

Solved Falcon CR4 R-JTAG+ Install problem

G

gromain

Reaction score
Sin$
Hello everyone!

I joined here because somehow the registration on team-xecuter forum has been closed for several weeks now.

Please, do not hesitate to delete this post if it's not appropriate.

So here is my story. I bought a CR4 to install in my Falcon (latest dash) to perform the R-JTAG+.

I did the installation, and it went well. Apart from the fact that I messed the reset connection.
What I did is that I used a shielded cable, and solder it to the point R8C2. However, I mistakenly soldered it to R8C7.

I realised my mistake after being able to succesfully retrieve 4 NANDs, and write back the xell nand.

I attempted to start the console, and got a beautiful RROD.
I then looked on my soldering to check on what was going on. And there was the mistake.
However, the cure was worse than the disease, as when desoldering, the resistor went off too (with the M pad on the CR4.

I was able however to replace the burnt resistor with two others I had. (All the picture will be in a spoiler at the end the thread).

After soldering the reset cable to right place AND soldering on the other side directly on the CR4 Chip, I went and tried again to start the console. It started to boot, but I got a black screen. After a few minutes, I unplugged it and tried again. It seemed to start (fans starting), but after a few seconds it would stop.

However this time, nothing was happening when I pressed the power-up button. The only way to get it to do something was when I unplugged the front pcb.

After reflashing the stock NAND and trying again to boot (with the CR4 not powered), nothing happened again.

So here is the state of my console:
  • Latest Dash
  • CR4 R-JTAG+ install
  • NAND read/write works
  • Do not power up (even with stock NAND)
  • The console was working beforehand
  • Electrical connection between front pcb and motherboard is good (I checked continuity between both connectors, and its good on every pins)

My diagnostic is that I somehow burnt a chip or a switch on the front pcb.

Here is below my J-runner log:
Code:
===================================================
mardi 27 janvier 2015 19:52:06

J-Runner v0.3 Beta (7) Started

Checking Files
Finished Checking Files
Jtag Selected
Version: 10
Flash Config: 0x01198010
Xenon, Zephyr, Opus, Falcon
CB Version: 5774
Falcon/Opus
Reading Nand to C:\Users\gromain\XBOX\J-Runner v3 (5) Core Pack\J-Runner v3 (5) Core Pack\output\nanddump1.bin
Reading Nand
Done!
in 3:25 min:sec

Reading Nand to C:\Users\gromain\XBOX\J-Runner v3 (5) Core Pack\J-Runner v3 (5) Core Pack\output\nanddump2.bin
Initializing nanddump1.bin..
Falcon/Opus
Nand Initialization Finished
Reading Nand
Done!
in 3:25 min:sec

Reading Nand to C:\Users\gromain\XBOX\J-Runner v3 (5) Core Pack\J-Runner v3 (5) Core Pack\output\nanddump3.bin
Comparing...
Nands are the same
Reading Nand
Done!
in 3:24 min:sec

Reading Nand to C:\Users\gromain\XBOX\J-Runner v3 (5) Core Pack\J-Runner v3 (5) Core Pack\output\nanddump4.bin
Comparing...
Nands are the same
Reading Nand
Done!
in 3:24 min:sec

Comparing...
Nands are the same
Jtag Selected
Aud_Clamp Selected
R-Jtag Selected
Patching Jasper version 2.3 SMC at offset 0x12BA
XeLL file created Successfully falcon_hack_aud_clamp.bin
Version: 10
Flash Config: 0x01198010
Writing Nand
falcon_hack_aud_clamp.bin
Done!
in 0:18 min:sec

And here are the installation pictures:
2cF5bdi.jpg

The spoiled resistor replacement

dCkaqO5.jpg

The good R8C2 Soldering

7GcrzxZ.jpg

The soldering to the chip with the M pad ripped up

esx5yHF.jpg

And the ripped up pad!

fyepkMw.jpg

The Q2N1 connection

UhRbzRp.jpg

nP0aVj2.jpg

dlZ0Cou.jpg

The bottom QSB

vSvJaPn.jpg

The NAND-X J1D2 QSB

xV5a1Ve.jpg

p6Hg6Nf.jpg

SLe0vyX.jpg

The 2nd top QSB

hbAqlwj.jpg

9ksJZ4s.jpg

The TP7R3 Connection (Yes B is green on mine instead of grey, but it goes to the right place).

cVz17zv.jpg

The FT6U1 Connection

So here is it, I think everything's said. Thanks for reading!
Please do not hesitate is there is anything more I could do to clarify this post!

HuskerHeaven

HuskerHeaven

when I took his glass of champagne...
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
First goal is to get retail to boot. Write retail back, desolder power from the CR4 as well as the aud_clamp wire from the JTAG QSB. See if you can get retail to boot. If retail never boots, xell won't either. Its probably something to do with the lifted resistor. The pad on the resisitor is lifted. Looks like you may have contact with the trace, but hard to tell.

G

gromain

Reaction score
Sin$
I tried to make it boot stock already, but I didn't desolder the aud_clamp (just the CR4 power).
So I'll try that.

I tested the resistor with a multimeter to check and make sure I had continuity and it was well soldered. I'll check again.

Hypotoad

Hypotoad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Check your Jtag QSB, is the switch set to "On", and is the jumper on the pins for the resistor setting, if it's not you will get a RROD, I know this because I knocked mine off and couldn't figure out why it was RROD until I see this jumper on my bench. Like the previous poster said it is most probably something to do with the resistor you messed up, I also saw a "blob" of solder sitting near your white wire, check all over to make sure your not shorting something with a splash of solder.

Top Bottom
Login
Register