• Thread starter odanaids
  • Start date
  • Views 7,609
odanaids

odanaids

Reaction score
Sin$
Hi Everybody

I've had a rgh console for about a month and i am using a transcend storejet 500gb endless searching over the net has gotten me nowhere on my specific issue.

I have formatted my drive to primary fat32 (active and non) and hfs+ my xbox sometimes will read the drive work play games and then all of sudden the drive will get a solid blue light and stop reading . i have tried a different external hdd with the same issue ive spent hours using different programs for formatting to no avail.

flash drives will be seen everytime.

ive noticed that putting my ear against the drive it makes 1 beep and then a weird noise and will loop the other drive does the same thing putting into my pc it stops and runs normally i read it might not have enough power so ive tried a y cable and still nothing.:frown:

Its stressing me out and if anyone has any idea what's the problem you will be a god send.

oblivioncth

oblivioncth

Mr. Cloth
Mr. Nice Guy MotM TotM
Reaction score
Sin$
Hi Everybody

I've had a rgh console for about a month and i am using a transcend storejet 500gb endless searching over the net has gotten me nowhere on my specific issue.

I have formatted my drive to primary fat32 (active and non) and hfs+ my xbox sometimes will read the drive work play games and then all of sudden the drive will get a solid blue light and stop reading . i have tried a different external hdd with the same issue ive spent hours using different programs for formatting to no avail.

flash drives will be seen everytime.

ive noticed that putting my ear against the drive it makes 1 beep and then a weird noise and will loop the other drive does the same thing putting into my pc it stops and runs normally i read it might not have enough power so ive tried a y cable and still nothing.:frown:

Its stressing me out and if anyone has any idea what's the problem you will be a god send.
It sounds like the hard drive's spindle is getting stuck. Its time to get a new one.

nicholasbroo

nicholasbroo

Knowledge maybe Power, but Respect matters.
Legendary Veteran 10th Anniversary Fabled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
It sounds like the hard drive's spindle is getting stuck. Its time to get a new one.

Seems You are correct, It's happened to me as well,
but you need to get a new HDD Spindle, it's going bad, and needs to be replaced on the drive.

odanaids

odanaids

Reaction score
Sin$
As I plug it into PC I have no problem with clicking or anything. So I don't think its the spindle. The drive works perfectly except when plugged onto Xbox

nicholasbroo

nicholasbroo

Knowledge maybe Power, but Respect matters.
Legendary Veteran 10th Anniversary Fabled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
It's because the Xbox 360 / PC has different RPM speeds and are powered differently to stabilize the Drive.

odanaids

odanaids

Reaction score
Sin$
i have a Adata drive for work but i cant remember if it did the same thing. i think it did but i will transfer files and give it a try listening to the stuck spindle mp3 it sounds the same very possible. thanks for the replys and will keep you informed later with the Adata drive.

oblivioncth

oblivioncth

Mr. Cloth
Mr. Nice Guy MotM TotM
Reaction score
Sin$
i have a Adata drive for work but i cant remember if it did the same thing. i think it did but i will transfer files and give it a try listening to the stuck spindle mp3 it sounds the same very possible. thanks for the replys and will keep you informed later with the Adata drive.
Keep us posted

A Toast

A Toast

Enthusiast
Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Power issue, try using an shorter USB cable for the hdd. The longer the cable is the more resistance you have, on a 5v USB the distance must be small or there will be too much loss.

Pc's have in fact an Power regulation on USB ports (most of motherboards, on the Xbox it would be useless) when an device uses too much power the USB ports go into "high power" mode
(Not really high power) but the amperage is increased.

odanaids

odanaids

Reaction score
Sin$
Yip same problem the Adata is usb 3.0 and has a very short cable. its making a repeated sound but has a different beep code to transcend drive its more of a constant soft fast beep. the first time i plugged it in it was reading but when checking storage devices it is greyed out and could not be formatted, just like the other drive it started with the above.

the best I have managed to get is using a program called transmac for hfs+ which is seen every time on start up but wont let me write and when in FSD it screws up if i try to read from it( it wont see anything and wont boot next time i restart) additional Info i don't have a dvd drive plugged in as it was damaged and didn't feel the need for one with FSD. "not sure if that matters"

my last thought would be failing power supply even though it has no signs of failing. I had my Xbox RGH done by a very knowledgeable person and my xbox glitches 15 seconds most times but i have no idea how these things work so maby he did a bad flash or something :confused:

A Toast

A Toast

Enthusiast
Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Yip same problem the Adata is usb 3.0 and has a very short cable. its making a repeated sound but has a different beep code to transcend drive its more of a constant soft fast beep. the first time i plugged it in it was reading but when checking storage devices it is greyed out and could not be formatted, just like the other drive it started with the above.

the best I have managed to get is using a program called transmac for hfs+ which is seen every time on start up but wont let me write and when in FSD it screws up if i try to read from it( it wont see anything and wont boot next time i restart) additional Info i don't have a dvd drive plugged in as it was damaged and didn't feel the need for one with FSD. "not sure if that matters"

my last thought would be failing power supply even though it has no signs of failing. I had my Xbox RGH done by a very knowledgeable person and my xbox glitches 15 seconds most times but i have no idea how these things work so maby he did a bad flash or something :confused:
try an external powered usb hub.

oblivioncth

oblivioncth

Mr. Cloth
Mr. Nice Guy MotM TotM
Reaction score
Sin$
Power issue, try using an shorter USB cable for the hdd. The longer the cable is the more resistance you have, on a 5v USB the distance must be small or there will be too much loss.
Are you saying that the PC limits the current or allows it to increase?

Pc's have in fact an Power regulation on USB ports (most of motherboards, on the Xbox it would be useless) when an device uses too much power the USB ports go into "high power" mode
(Not really high power) but the amperage is increased.

odanaids

odanaids

Reaction score
Sin$
not bad flash?
Not power Supply?
i have to buy a hub now especially to test this issue i understand a pc can give more amperage
so basically xbox isnt providing enough?
why would it read then give a solid light with clicking?

A Toast

A Toast

Enthusiast
Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
not bad flash?
Not power Supply?
i have to buy a hub now especially to test this issue i understand a pc can give more amperage
so basically xbox isnt providing enough?
why would it read then give a solid light with clicking?
When you plug the drive in the USB port of the xbox the hd has an initiation sequence, when the is not enought power the drive can spin up but when the heads start moving the is too much power loss and then it resets, thats the clicking (heads going back and back) and as there it is pluged in it repeats that sequence.

oblivioncth

oblivioncth

Mr. Cloth
Mr. Nice Guy MotM TotM
Reaction score
Sin$
When you plug the drive in the USB port of the xbox the hd has an initiation sequence, when the is not enought power the drive can spin up but when the heads start moving the is too much power loss and then it resets, thats the clicking (heads going back and back) and as there it is pluged in it repeats that sequence.
Thats the thing though if the xbox is supposed to meet USB 2.0 standards it should be able yo provide enough current. Of course practically it doesnt have to since its an Xbox not a predictable PC.

P.S. I dont know wtf happened with the quote in my last post

A Toast

A Toast

Enthusiast
Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Thats the thing though if the xbox is supposed to meet USB 2.0 standards it should be able yo provide enough current. Of course practically it doesnt have to since its an Xbox not a predictable PC.

P.S. I dont know wtf happened with the quote in my last post
yeah i saw that something messed up :tongue:
Xbox isn't meant to be used with an USB HDD, microsoft never wanted nor planed that, even if now you can use 32GB of 250 e.g now, but that would be somehow dumb. Gona hook my HDD and multimeter to my xbox and see what it says.

oblivioncth

oblivioncth

Mr. Cloth
Mr. Nice Guy MotM TotM
Reaction score
Sin$
yeah i saw that something messed up :tongue:
Xbox isn't meant to be used with an USB HDD, microsoft never wanted nor planed that, even if now you can use 32GB of 250 e.g now, but that would be somehow dumb. Gona hook my HDD and multimeter to my xbox and see what it says.
I was thinking of doing that myself. Let me know.

Top Bottom
Login
Register