• Start date
  • Views 13,732
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Stupiditility

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know this is a long post with only one lone picture, but bear with me and I think you'll learn some important stuff here.

So now that LT is out and the readme said that SS v2 is preferred, everyone seems to be trying to figure out what SS v2 is, whether it's required or not, and what advantages it could possibly have. In the midst of all this, I've heard a lot of bull**** and I'm going to try to set the record straight.

For starters, SS v1 and v2 are not copy protections, they are methods of reading and copying the disc (or at least part of the disc). Kreon drives use SS v1 and iXtreme drives use SS v2. So if a game is ripped using a Kreon drive, it will have SS v1 and if it's ripped with an iXtreme drive it will have SS v2. There is no way to "upgrade" to SS v2 if you have an SS v1, all you can hope to do to change it is re-rip the game with aniXtreme drive and patch the newly ripped SS into the old ISO.

Next, SS v2 includes SS v1 in it, so no game "requires" SS v1 to be safe (just because abgx patches it this way doesn't mean it's better, it just means the only verified rip they had was done with a Kreon). I've read a couple of posts where people think that wave 1 and 2 games are only safe with SS v1. This is just not the case. SS v2 contains all the information from SS v1, it merely adds more information.

So what information is that you may ask? Well, let's break it down to what the SS stores. The SS essentially stores the angle responses that are sent when xbox live asks for them. Now these angles (1, 91, 181, 271) are the same for ALL Xbox 360 games (theoretically MS could change this at any time and throw in some weird new angle, but I have checked several games from all waves and have not seen any new angles). So, since these angles are always the same, the Kreon drive simply writes the angles to the ISO and is done, it never reads the angles to verify that they are indeed correct, this results in SS v1. IXtreme, on the other hand, will read the angles, write them to the ISO (these are the SS v2 angles), then also write the known angles (SS v1) so that they can be compared (naturally the SS v2 ones are trusted in the event that they vary from SS v1). There is a tad more going on (jitter is added and whatnot, this is how angle 1 sometimes becomes angle 359 which throws that warning in ABGX), but that's the gist of it.

Now if you have abgx360's verbosity set to high then it will actually show you the SS while it's doing it checks. If it's SS v2 it will actually show you the SS v1 angle, the SS v2 angle and the difference between the two as well as the CCRT angle and how far both SS angles deviate from that. Here's a picture:

ssjunk.jpg

If there is a difference greater then about 3 or 4 degrees then that game definitely requires SS v2, but I have yet to see one where they break that boundary. Now because of disc jitter there will sometimes be a 1 or 2 angle deviation from the CCRT, but what matters is how far SS v2 deviates from the CCRT or SS v1, and 1 or 2 degrees is within the bounds of being perfectly normal (in fact 3 degrees is normal if the drive is really old and wearing out... though it's pretty rare).

So is SS v2 required? Certainly not for any games that are currently out (most recent game I checked was Army of Two: The 40th Day, which is wave 6 and it's SS v2 angles matched the ones SS v1 has been using for years now). There is however always the CHANCE* that MS could change something on us, so you should always go with SS v2 if possible.

Now if anyone knows of a game where the SS v2 angles strongly deviate from the CCRT, please let me know and I will put that in here.. but so far every game I've checked has no such angles.

*Now the following is not fact... this is my speculation based on the above facts.

I think it's EXTREMELY unlikely that any game will ever be made with angles that require SS v2. Because the angles have been the same for every single game ever made, it's fair to assume that these angles are hardcoded into the xbox and that it will not boot any game that deviates a significant amount from these angles. If that'sthe case, then if a game were made intentionally like that then a normal Xbox would never boot it. Now I don't know for sure if that is the case or not, but if it wasn't the case I think MS would have changed the angles awhile ago.

So make of that what you will and decide if you really think SS v2 is necessary or not.

EDIT: Thanks to ffmedic for giving me the real site to credit, goes out to xbox360iso

F

ffmedic

Enthusiast
Reaction score
did you write this or did you cut and past from 360 iso:S

S

Stupiditility

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I certainly didn't write it, I copied it off a word document. This guy that i buy my .iso's off gave a mod pack to mod the contents of the iso's and he siad he wrote up some tutorials in there so I just posted this, completley oblivious to the fact that he might not have written it. Ill credit them now

O

offica1 g33k

Getting There
Reaction score
so..how do you do SS v2...what do you select...:Si still have to flash a drive with LT and haven't had to deal with all the new stuff for LT yet

S

Stupiditility

Enthusiast
Reaction score
one sec, ill PM you ANOTHER one of the guys tutorials on how to set it up.
god i feel like ive been used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom