What's new

Question Error 53 - iTunes won't restore iPhone 6

Speech

Speech

Lost in space and time.
Reaction score
Sin$
Okay, so I know why I am receiving this error code (I replaced the iPhone's screen with an aftermarket screen and touch ID, and every iPhone has a specific touch ID for itself and I no longer have mine.) I am trying to update to iOS 9.0.2 and I got the error and now my phone is "bricked" with no warranty or anything to cover it... The phone is stuck in DFU mode soon as you turn it on and I was wondering if there was a different program to restore an Apple phone in DFU mode that doesn't follow the iTunes update policy or whatever. I tried to update the phone without internet but I got the error code "3004." Any help? Thanks in advance.

Operating System
  1. iOS
SSL

SSL

Pepe Le Pew
Frame In Gold Free Hoster Stickied
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6767521

Today my iPhone 6 complained about the Touch ID component. Researching the error advised the only solution is to restore the phone to factory settings. So made a backup to disk and then attempted resetting the phone. The reset and restore resulted with the Error 53 message. I tried resetting and restoring from backup several times only to receive the error message halfway into the validation process. Researched and read many messages advising the only solution for Error 53 is to take it in to Apple for repair. In my last restore attempt, I came across this Apple Support Doc If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support from the bottom of this page Get help with iOS update and restore errors - Apple Support for the unrelated Error 1015. Following the directions to "manually put the iPhone device into recovery mode" made all the difference than just plugging in the lightning cable. This allowed me to get passed the midpoint where the Error 53 message would appear and successfully restore my iPhone 6 from backup. I had to redo all my settings as if it was the first time, including the Touch ID configurations, but I'm back up with my iPhone. No trip to the Apple Store necessary!!!! Hope this helps others...

Tabuu

Tabuu

VIP
VIP
MotM Bright Idea 10th Anniversary
Reaction score
Sin$
Okay, so I know why I am receiving this error code (I replaced the iPhone's screen with an aftermarket screen and touch ID, and every iPhone has a specific touch ID for itself and I no longer have mine.) I am trying to update to iOS 9.0.2 and I got the error and now my phone is "bricked" with no warranty or anything to cover it... The phone is stuck in DFU mode soon as you turn it on and I was wondering if there was a different program to restore an Apple phone in DFU mode that doesn't follow the iTunes update policy or whatever. I tried to update the phone without internet but I got the error code "3004." Any help? Thanks in advance.
Error code 53 is a tricky one. The Touch ID component of any iPhone that utilizes it is unique to the device itself. Replacing the Touch ID sensor or damaging any of the connection cables in any way will result in you getting Error 53. There are mixed responses on how to fix the issue. DFU restoring has been hit and miss with different people. Most of the causes for this error have to do with user error when replacing the screen, such as placing screws in the wrong places (leading to motherboard damage) or pulling too hard and damaging the flex cables that work with your Touch ID. Unfortunately, if you are out of warranty, you are pretty much out of luck at this point. Aftermarket parts may be cheaper, but they don't always work and usually lead to more problems than they solve.
Error code 3004 simply means it can't connect to the activation servers. You are required, when restoring any iDevice, to be connected to the internet so Apple's activation servers can verify your restore. This is done for security reasons to make sure users are installing an unmodified IPSW to their device.

Speech

Speech

Lost in space and time.
Reaction score
Sin$
Alright, well thank you for the help.
Error code 53 is a tricky one. The Touch ID component of any iPhone that utilizes it is unique to the device itself. Replacing the Touch ID sensor or damaging any of the connection cables in any way will result in you getting Error 53. There are mixed responses on how to fix the issue. DFU restoring has been hit and miss with different people. Most of the causes for this error have to do with user error when replacing the screen, such as placing screws in the wrong places (leading to motherboard damage) or pulling too hard and damaging the flex cables that work with your Touch ID. Unfortunately, if you are out of warranty, you are pretty much out of luck at this point. Aftermarket parts may be cheaper, but they don't always work and usually lead to more problems than they solve.
Error code 3004 simply means it can't connect to the activation servers. You are required, when restoring any iDevice, to be connected to the internet so Apple's activation servers can verify your restore. This is done for security reasons to make sure users are installing an unmodified IPSW to their device.

Top Bottom
Login
Register