Entity v2.1 Release

Discussion in 'Halo 2 Mod Programs' started by TroyMac1ure, Feb 18, 2009 with 19 replies and 1,079 views.

1. TroyMac1ure

TroyMac1ure Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Get V2.1 (Build 35187). Alot of bugs in the late night release fixed now.

UPDATES
    -----------
    *Uncompleted Meta Tag Search
    *Chunk Cloner returns to previous chunk after hitting the clone button
    *chunk cloner no longer causes incorrect IFPs

INITIAL RELEASE ISSUES NOW FIXED
    ------------------------------------------
    * fixed "Save" button not working
    * SplitIdent To String Error
    * Cloned chunks have size 0

My apologies to all that I mislead. I didn't have access to my Xbox for testing, just going by the broken IFPs being fixed. Chunk cloning is NOT working...yet.

Entity 2.1 (build 35187):
    [Click here to view the link]

Entity 2.1 Source
    [Click here to view the link]

2. mojobojo

mojobojo Enthusiast

Ratings:
    OMG Ive been waiting for this. Thank You!!!

3. OP
    TroyMac1ure

TroyMac1ure Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Sorry, if you already D/L this, do it again, I fixed a slight bug that would cause the cloned chunks to have a size of zero. (Should be build 997 I think)

Oh, and you're welcome. Glad to see at least one person is going to use this <_<

4. B-rad

B-rad Press On

Ratings:
  5. GoldBl4d3

GoldBl4d3 Retired Retired

Ratings:
    should be stickied, maybe. and troy, I am a good programmer with modding apps. Why dont you think about letting me give you a hand. Two > One. But if you dont that fine.

6. OP
    TroyMac1ure

TroyMac1ure Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Sounds great. Like I said, I'm new to C#/.NET, but years of other programming have helped me to understand code. I would love to see Entity evolve to a point where it had *almost* no limitations. That's why every release will have the source posted, I believe in Open Source completely.

This is just the start... ...unless my wife says otherwise :wink:

7. GoldBl4d3

Ratings:
    true, maybe we should integrate more side options to things. Like take things from my tools, and add them into entity. Making entity more than just a big plugin reading map editor.

8. Greeenymeany

Greeenymeany Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Sorry for the Bump but I really need this. It won't let me download from Rapidshare It says I'm already downloading a file (which I'm not) So I was wondering if anyone would put up a mirror please. Thankyou

Thankyou
    PS: sorry for spelling errors my keyboards broken and I'm using a crapy third party onscreen keyboard

9. OP
    TroyMac1ure

TroyMac1ure Enthusiast

Ratings:
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Greeenymeany

Greeenymeany Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Thankyou very much you have no idea how much of a life saver this is for me thankyou!

11. Densefire

Densefire Newbie

Ratings:
    Hey troy nice going man seems great. Except for one major problem! maybe just me but anytime I mod a map using entity 2.1 after about 4 or 5 minutes the game will just freeze. I notice this occurs when I clone chunks or reflexives. ill look into it more to see what changes exactly I am making to the map to cause this! I hope i helped a little by stating this!!

• Like Like x 1
  12. GoldBl4d3

Ratings:
    let me take a look at the source code. And I will try to help you as well

13. OP
    TroyMac1ure

TroyMac1ure Enthusiast

Ratings:
    I spent sooo long trying to fix the cloner that I although I don't think I did, I may have messed up some stuff along the way. The cloner did add chunks in properly, which wasn't a huge deal, but it left unused data in the map, therefore adding unneeded size to the map. Also, I found the SCNR plugin to be incomplete and dropped parts of the map out, but still no cloning for it. In my version I have been noticing that if I load the SNCR tag into the Meta editor, then out and back in, Entity crashes. I think this may have been an old issue as well though.
    I have been studying the map format more and trying to see if we can figure out any more of the unknowns so we can have full cloning abilities.
    I may revert back to my original idea of just adding useful things and hold off on that stuff for now.
    So much source code....:ohmy:

14. GoldBl4d3

Ratings:
    Enitiy is actually poorly coded. You need to just erase everything. And code it from scratch. Due to how much you know about the map structure. I think I may be good help to you. Just get aim, and we can fix Ensh*ty

15. mojobojo

mojobojo Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Cant wait to see how that turns out. You make some great applications, maybe I could be a tester.

16. OP
    TroyMac1ure

TroyMac1ure Enthusiast

Ratings:
    I don't think it's actually coded all that poorly. There's just a whole lot of info in there. The fact that the meta editor is completely seperate and that it was incorporated into it is a headache. As for the rest, the biggest issues are that things got added on here and there and it seems like some functions are duplicates.
    I agree that it could use a major rewrite in parts, but the whole thing... that's a lot of lines of code. Incorrect plugins are still more than partially to blame, although there are many other issues too.
    I think more data types need to be introduced to handle complete plugins. In the latest version (unreleased yet) I introduced a variable length string type to allow for TAGs that don't fit the TAG/IDENT (such as wildcards) and for String36 such as the map name. I also added a HEAD plugin for reading the map header and changing it (such as Map name and all the other stuff found in the header).

17. GoldBl4d3

Ratings:
    troy, entity is poorly strustured. For such a big application they are using terrible names like "crap". Terrible grouping. Three different source projects in the same project. I was reorginizing the startup code. And found the application to start up way faster.

18. OP
    TroyMac1ure

TroyMac1ure Enthusiast

Ratings:
    The three different source projects aren't the end of the world, but they do make things annoying. In the yet to be released version i added in a right click "Jump To [Tag]" button, but because the meta editor is a seperate structure it took some creative thinking. It works, but would've been so much easier if they were all one program.

As for self-explanatory variables names such as crap, I think it's pretty obvious what it's for.... ok, I agree. Laziness is no excuse. If you're gonna name it crap, at least give a comment as to what it's for. Actually, how bout quite a few more comments all through-out the source.

All I am saying is it started out okay I think, but like most projects that grow quickly, it wasn't managed well.

19. mojobojo

mojobojo Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Even thought the source is a bit sloppy It helped me learn about the halo 2 map structure and loading it into a 3d enviorment. Thanks for the source.

20. Fiahhh

Fiahhh Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Well, looks like its back to Halo 2 modding.

*Cracks knuckles*