Solved Endless trouble with detecting Lite-on drive

S

slx

Reaction score
Sin$
This is frustrating me to no end.

I have a Lite-on DG-16DS Hw: A0A1 Fw: 74850C
Im running xp x64.
I had trouble with JF1.69, could have possible been PortIO drivers, but now that JF1.70 comes out and we don't need PortIO installed, I'm still having no luck.

Seems that I can detect the drive in bios. But nowhere in windows can I get this drive detected. Tried every method of half-open but closed status under the sun, every combination of plugging things in succession.

Everytime I open JF it says "Found 0 CD/DVD drives" and I can't find it in the list.
I have tried with nothing else SATA plugged in, every different port as well.

I should mention I am using onbaord SATA with NForce4 Chipset on a Gigabyte GA-M55SLI-S4 (rev1). Also using usb xtractor probe (power from xbox360)

Nothing really seems to allow me to detect it.

I've even gotten a HDD with xp 32-bit and ran that in my machine (because the computer it came from doesn't have sata) and still no joy.

I have also attempted this flash in DosFlash 1.8 and that doesn't detect any drives either.

I've almost concluded that I need to get a PCI Sata card and try that but before I do I was just going to see if anyone has any suggestions...

M

Matermine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Might be your chipset. You'd be better off using a VIA6421 chipset anyways. You know that those for sure work :smile:

O

OZ0NE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I had a problem similar to this but I had the VIA 6421(what ever it is) and I had to uncheck the box that says "dont include via ports"(something like that, im at work so dont have the program on here.) After clicking it and then unclicking it, it popped up. Try a different combination of turning the xbox on and clicking the check mark box. Hope ti helps and sorry for the lack of detail.

M

Matermine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Uncheck the box that says "VIA Ports only" and check "Include non-IDE ports"

Is JF even finding your chipset?

O

OZ0NE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Matermine said:
Uncheck the box that says "VIA Ports only" and check "Include non-IDE ports"

Is JF even finding your chipset?

That exactly. If you uncheck it and check it again it seemed to work for me.

S

slx

Reaction score
Sin$
I have the VIA ports unchecked. If I click VIA ports only, it says No VIA ports found so can't really used that feature anyways.
Checking include Non-IDE ports doesn't really change anything.

I think its my chipset. I've ordered PCI VIA 6421 from ebay. I've given up trying until it arrives.

Hopefully should be all sweet. Should have just bought one previously instead of being stingy on $6 :tongue:

Thanks anyways, I'll let you know how I go if I have any more trouble.

C

CokeMachine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I had the same problem until I did some research and solved the problem. Here's a few things you should try...

1. Make sure portio is installed. Remove and re-install to double check.
2. Go to BIOS and look for 'legacy mode'. It should be enabled. Save&Exit Bios
3. Make sure the drive is in 'Mode B' by either switching your ck3 or doing the drive half-closed power cycle method.
4. Try updating .NET framework if using jungleflasher, that might help.

danny616 said:
agreed. you need a Via chipset for LITE-ONs.

That isn't quite correct. I use my on-board gigabyte sata ports with no problems whatsoever.

S

slx

Reaction score
Sin$
CokeMachine said:
I had the same problem until I did some research and solved the problem. Here's a few things you should try...

1. Make sure portio is installed. Remove and re-install to double check.
2. Go to BIOS and look for 'legacy mode'. It should be enabled. Save&Exit Bios
3. Make sure the drive is in 'Mode B' by either switching your ck3 or doing the drive half-closed power cycle method.
4. Try updating .NET framework if using jungleflasher, that might help.

That isn't quite correct. I use my on-board gigabyte sata ports with no problems whatsoever.

1- seems to be installed OK
2- I keep hearing about this motherboard legacy mode but cannot for the life of me find where it is. searched through the whole bios and the only thing that comes up next to anything 'legacy' are keyboard and mouse
3- using usb extractor not ck3. pretty sure I have the closed half-open down OK
4- got the latest .NET framework for xp64 - SP2

anyone care to shed more light on legacy mode? does my bios need an update for this?

I'm waiting for my via sata card to arrive so have not progressed any further thus far.

Top Bottom
Login
Register