WIP Elements2D - 2D Minecraft

Discussion in 'Game Development' started by Xolitude, Apr 2, 2015 with 24 replies and 1,655 views.

1. OP
    Xolitude

Xolitude Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Swearing, hostility, implied insults. There's no use in talking to you. Hop off my thread please and thank you.

2. Liquid44

Liquid44 Banned

Ratings:
    This is one of the few threads in this section with some actual progress being done, keep it up. Don't let some noob attempt to put you down. Anyone who says a specific way sucks and the only correct way is their way has very little knowledge.

Doing this for personal experience is great and if you can get a functioning game then that will look great on your CV if you choose to pursue a career in this. The fact that you are doing most of it from scratch and not using a existing engine means you will encounter problems that most people don't have to deal with, which again is a great learning experience to solve.

• Like Like x 2
  3. OP
    Xolitude

Xolitude Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Thank you :smile: I appreciate it deeply.

4. OP
    Xolitude

Xolitude Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Updates:
    • Launcher downloads the "elements_online.jar" game file upon successful login.
    • Launcher successfully passes arguments to elements_online (this was difficult to test.)
    Launcher still needs a little work as it is a bit buggy but here's a screenshot for how it looks so far:
    [​IMG]

I know this may not seem like a big update but allow me to explain a bit about this...
    I had to re-vamp the launcher three times, yes, three. I had an enormous struggle with how I wanted the launcher to actually authenticate. At one point, I decided to make it an MMO-style launcher where it would attempt to connect to a specific multiplayer server from the get go and have an option for "offline play" in-case people chose not to play online or couldn't but... This proved too difficult.

Basically though, it's all very simple. I have taken out the configuration file for the launcher temporarily because I needed to test things and it may not even be needed until the game itself is actually booted up. Let me explain the .bat screen and the title of the actual game:

• The .bat file is showing something like, "(Xol: xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx)." The "xol" being my account name or username, of course. The "x's" being my GUID given by the server. These two are being passed to the game itself.
    • The title of the game is "Xol." I had to figure out a way to find out if the game was actually receiving the arguments being passed and this was how I found out! So, that's great!
    So, we are definitely making some little bits of progress. Still no security added, just for testing purposes. I apologize if this seems all rambled, I've been having issues finding motivation through-out the past week and this damn launcher has been pissing me off but I finally got my way around it (thank you internet) and as I'm wrapping this up, it's around 3 A.M so go figure. Anyways, this is my "little" update.

When I get into more actual game development, I would absolutely love to take suggestions for what you'd like to see in the game!

5. OP
    Xolitude

Xolitude Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Update:
    The games launcher has been hooked in with the main game client, Singleplayer and Multiplayer both.
    Multiplayer development has begun and is in progress; currently working on player synchronization (spawning and movement.)

• Like Like x 2