• Start date
  • Views 343
A

a deeper b1ue

Ghost in the machine
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice on how to get started on a project of mine.

I want to have a site to host and sell my web based tutorials. Additionally, I want the tutorial pages to be "pay what you want", so that a user can say $0.0 and see the page for free. At first I was looking at wordpress but then I heard about open source stuff like magento. I'm not really sure which to use, or if there are other, better alternatives.

Last edited:
O

ObscureCoder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This all depends on your payment method as different vendors have different (but kinda similar) callbacks.
For example, Paypal has an IPN (Instant Payment Notification) which allows paypal to query back to your own site after payment with some details and then a script on your site (PHP) will query to paypal with the data and if it's verified paid by paypal, you can choose what to do with it.

There are plugins for common CMS like Wordpress, Magento, WHMCS etc. that make e-commerce easy. You can write your own paypal IPN which gives you full control over what happens. Like, if you wanted to be unlocked, just make a MySQL table that logs the donations.

X

Xeren

♦♦♦ God Complex ♦♦♦
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice on how to get started on a project of mine.

I want to have a site to host and sell my web based tutorials. Additionally, I want the tutorial pages to be "pay what you want", so that a user can say $0.0 and see the page for free. At first I was looking at wordpress but then I heard about open source stuff like magento. I'm not really sure which to use, or if there are other, better alternatives.
If you decide to create your own, here is the PayPal URL format:
Code:
http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&business={email}&item_name={itemname}&amount={amount}
The amount should not include the currency character, such as "$". You can find more information about the values themselves here.

F

Forgoten Dynasty

Free Sosa #bangbang
VIP
Reaction score
Realistically all you're asking for is a popup to appear the first time the user comes to the page asking them to donate.

Just use wordpress, Modify the the templates so that topic view has a popup that's something along the lines of.

.donate-modal{
display: block;
position: absolute;
top: 0;
left: 0;
width: 100%;
height: 100%;
}

Then when they either donate or click continue without donating, toggle 'display:block' to 'display:none'.
And you're done.

If they are allowed to view without donating you really don't have to do much security to verify wether they actually made the payment.

C

Cakes

お前はもう死んでいる
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
IIRC, you can use Omnipay to accomplish this pretty easily (to manage the actual payment part). It has a set up for PayPal and you can make it so they enter the price. Down side is that it uses the PayPay SDK, meaning you'd need a business account for API access (Assuming the standalone package is generally the same as the one I used.)

T

Th3-Chronikk

Hacker Of All Game Systems
Reaction score

I work in ecommerce at a motorcycle shop. Majento is good, there is woo commerce, and rakiten as well

Top Bottom