• Start date
  • Views 347
Slim Shady

Slim Shady

SpOoKy SiNz
Super Moderators
Scaling the Mountain Legendary Veteran A Milli
Reaction score
An early PS5 DualSense prototype controller has been found that appears to match one of the known patents that were discovered online.

Before the launch of the PS5, fans were able to discover patents that had prototypes of the early DualSense controller. Apparently, a developer has managed to get their hands on one of these and has shared pictures of the controller.

This controller is the same as an earlier patent. Here’s how the patent looked in the conceptual stage seen in the patent.

https://twistedvoxel.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/ps5-dualsense-prototype.jpeg

Here’s how it looks like in the shape of actual physical hardware.

The developer confirmed that this controller apparently works on the PS3. Keep in mind that the final DualSense retail controller doesn’t work on the PS3. Meanwhile, the PS4 controller offers limited functionality on the PS5 and the DualSense doesn’t work on the PS4 normally but requires a bit of tweaking with PC to make it work.

We learn that this version of the controller has different internals compared to the final retail unit. Of course, the color scheme is also different with the Black and White aesthetics featured in the DualSense compared to the original DualShock 4 look that is featured here. If you want to see a prototype of the PS4 DualShock 4 controller, the developer has shared images from it as well.

Prototype Playstation 4 Alpha Controller "JDX1000" pic.twitter.com/bKCMu6XDod
— Developer Jeff
🕹️
(@OfficialDevJeff) January 29, 2020

This controller was originally spotted in the FCC listing but this is the first time we have seen it in physical form. It is a surprise to see that this version works on even a PS3 while the final one doesn’t support it.

SOURCE

Extinct

Extinct

Super Saiyan
Super Moderators
Content Team
Stickied CotM A Milli
Reaction score
Looks just like the PS4 controller but slightly different lol

HYX

HYX

Alt+F4
Super Moderators
Lifetime
Scaling the Mountain Programmer Odysseus' Summit
Reaction score
I won't lie this controller looks like an Amazon knockoff DS4 controller. It has a lot of DS4 similarities but more of a squared design that reminds me of older Dualshocks. Nothing about it looks comfortable which makes me happy they went with the design they did. I love the PS5 controller, now if only I could get ahold of the PS5 console...

Skrubsy

Skrubsy

Old Guy
Super Moderators
VIP
Mythical Veteran Scaling the Mountain AzzidReign Jr
Reaction score
I won't lie this controller looks like an Amazon knockoff DS4 controller. It has a lot of DS4 similarities but more of a squared design that reminds me of older Dualshocks. Nothing about it looks comfortable which makes me happy they went with the design they did. I love the PS5 controller, now if only I could get ahold of the PS5 console...
I agree with you 100%, it looks very much like a cheaper dualshock. Having both consoles, I've always had a hard time feeling comfortable when going from xbox to playstation in my opinion. Getting a hold of next gens is near impossible. :rolleyes:

Claws

Claws

Skepta <3
Retired
Lifetime
Journalist Nevar gon' happen in your lifetime Stickied
Reaction score
I agree with you 100%, it looks very much like a cheaper dualshock. Having both consoles, I've always had a hard time feeling comfortable when going from xbox to playstation in my opinion. Getting a hold of next gens is near impossible. :rolleyes:
Totally agree on this. I'm especially noticing that the back of this controller looks incredibly slick (in a good and bad way) so any attempt at actually holding it seems like it will be a bad time.

Top Bottom