What's new

Solved E73(1021) worth actually going for a SB reflow?

Mario1

Mario1

Reaction score
Sin$
I recently acquired this old Xenon board that had a RRoD, it was the classic one -- 3 rings, secondary code indicated a cold solder joint on the GPU. I'm in serious lack of heating tools, so I decided to heat the s@$t out of the CPU, GPU and SB with this portable room heater.. It did the trick.. kinda.. I'm now getting E73 with the secondary code being 1021, which as far as the Internet says, means a bad Ethernet chip or a problematic SB.
Having in mind this board came with GPU issues, is it actually worth getting the SB professionally reflowed, or should I just go for the GPU?

HuskerHeaven

HuskerHeaven

when I took his glass of champagne...
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
I recently acquired this old Xenon board that had a RRoD, it was the classic one -- 3 rings, secondary code indicated a cold solder joint on the GPU. I'm in serious lack of heating tools, so I decided to heat the s@$t out of the CPU, GPU and SB with this portable room heater.. It did the trick.. kinda.. I'm now getting E73 with the secondary code being 1021, which as far as the Internet says, means a bad Ethernet chip or a problematic SB.
Having in mind this board came with GPU issues, is it actually worth getting the SB professionally reflowed, or should I just go for the GPU?
It will be cheaper to just get a whole new console. You could spend the money getting a new GPU, just to find out its the SB or vice versa, at which point you will be in for the same amount that you could get a new console.

Mario1

Mario1

Reaction score
Sin$
It will be cheaper to just get a whole new console. You could spend the money getting a new GPU, just to find out its the SB or vice versa, at which point you will be in for the same amount that you could get a new console.
Thing is, I can actually get one of the two components reballed free of charge, not quite sure how to narrow it down to either GPU or SB, though..
Guess the best question to ask here is; what should I put my "money" on?

A little update; I tried changing the thermal paste again, thinking it created air bubbles which forced it away from the center and was creating issues with the components surrounding it, turns out I'm wrong tho.. Still 1021, tried pressing the SB with my hand, same with the Ethernet chip, no difference.

Last edited:
Top Bottom
Login
Register