What's new

Solved DVD drives.

Fuzz

Fuzz

☑ rekt    ☐ not rekt
Modder Stickied EotM
Reaction score
Sin$
The laser has stopped working in my 360's DVD drive, I think it is a BenQ but I have lost the casing for it as my retail is currently in pieces, could I just buy a new BenQ and put that in then play with no bother?
This is my online Xbox so I'm not flashing or anything that will get me banned.
I have my jtag for offline.

Sticki

Sticki

Taylor'd
Reaction score
Sin$
You would have to extract the key off the old drive, then flash stock BenQ firmware, with your original key, onto the new replacement drive.

H

HerpaDerp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
you can either dump your firmware on your bad laser drive and flash it to the new drive with the correct key, or you can get a light-on laser off ebay and just swap out the laser. much cheaper approach.

N

Nickelodeon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
The laser has stopped working in my 360's DVD drive, I think it is a BenQ but I have lost the casing for it as my retail is currently in pieces, could I just buy a new BenQ and put that in then play with no bother?
This is my online Xbox so I'm not flashing or anything that will get me banned.
I have my jtag for offline.

You can desolder the wires and swap the PCB with the new drive.
This will only take a few minutes and medium solder-skills.

Dr Death

Dr Death

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
You can desolder the wires and swap the PCB with the new drive.
This will only take a few minutes and medium solder-skills.

yes this is the easiest way and also you could splice the cables together so you don't need to solder, this is the best way as your not flashing the drive.

Fuzz

Fuzz

Modder Stickied EotM
Reaction score
Sin$
You would have to extract the key off the old drive, then flash stock BenQ firmware, with your original key, onto the new replacement drive.
Isn't that flashing the drive though? Thus giving me a flashed drive, which I do not want.

you can either dump your firmware on your bad laser drive and flash it to the new drive with the correct key, or you can get a light-on laser off ebay and just swap out the laser. much cheaper approach.
How would I go about just replacing the laser?

You can desolder the wires and swap the PCB with the new drive.This will only take a few minutes and medium solder-skills.
Could you link me to some sort of tutorial or post with more depth, feel free to PM me or AIM: YesItsFuzz

EDIT: Also, my friend told me that he once just got the exact same drive and it worked, I told him that I was sure that wouldn't work, but it did. I see no reason why he would have lied about it.

Dr Death

Dr Death

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
Isn't that flashing the drive though? Thus giving me a flashed drive, which I do not want.

How would I go about just replacing the laser?

Could you link me to some sort of tutorial or post with more depth, feel free to PM me or AIM: YesItsFuzz

EDIT: Also, my friend told me that he once just got the exact same drive and it worked, I told him that I was sure that wouldn't work, but it did. I see no reason why he would have lied about it.
your dvd drive is paired with your motherboard, hence the dvd key without it all your drive will do is play dvds

Fuzz

Fuzz

Modder Stickied EotM
Reaction score
Sin$
your dvd drive is paired with your motherboard, hence the dvd key without it all your drive will do is play dvds
Ah I see, I never knew that. So I guess replacing the laser is the way to go.

why don't you just replace the laser?It's cheaper the buying a new drive abd quite easy to do
Somebody already posted that but thanks.

Dr Death

Dr Death

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
Ah I see, I never knew that. So I guess replacing the laser is the way to go.

Somebody already posted that but thanks.

if you feel up to it, it's the cheapest way, if your not very good with stuff like this, buy a replacement dvd drive (same make and model) and just replace the pcb.

Top Bottom
Login
Register