Dismiss Notice

Guest,
We are celebrating 14 years since the inception of Se7enSins! Join us in our celebrations!

[Dummies] How to create boosting lobbies online

Discussion in 'Gears of War Boosting & Matches' started by Senex, Jan 23, 2012 with 68 replies and 26,728 views.

Did you find this tutorial helpful?

1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    88.2%
  2. No, I couldn't understand it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, I didn't want to read it.

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  4. No, I simply dislike it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Senex

Senex ✅ Obsession Engaged

Ratings:
    Due to the messages I've recently recieved saying that the original topic for boosting was not explaining the stuff in a way they could understand, I made the tutorial easier to follow by creating a more detailed procedure of doing boosting lobbies, whether it's a 5 vs Bots, 5 vs 5 KOTH boosting or any other kind of match, it's all explained as easy as I can in here. First, you're gonna need a couple of things in order to make this work.

Requirements:
    • An Xbox 360 with the game "Gears of War 3";
    • An "Open" NAT-Type, if you have "Moderate" or "Strict", this won't work;
    • A computer which preferably runs Windows Vista or Windows 7;
    • A crossover cable (In nerd words: CAT5-cable);
    • A fully licensed version of ZoneAlarm Pro (Trial version downloadable [Click here to view the link]);
    • Either the fully licensed version or a 30-day trial of CommView (Trial version downloadable here) [optional].
    Step 1: Setting up your connection between your Xbox 360 and your PC.
    Now, what you want to do is make a network bridge between your Xbox 360, your computer and your network. What is a network bridge? Well, a network bridge allows your Xbox 360 to acces Xbox LIVE through your computer by using a crossover cable, mentioned in the "Requirements" section above. This is what you want your setup to be like:
    • Xbox 360 -> Crossover Cable -> Computer with internet connection
    You can plug your crossover cable in in the back of your Xbox 360, and most of the time in the back of your computer, too. Now, once you have the same setup as stated above, you want to actually make your computer allow the network bridge to be made. To allow this, you must enable a feature called "Internet Connection Sharing" or shortly ICS on your Windows Vista or Windows 7 computer. To enable ICS, follow these following tutorials:
    • If you have a Windows Vista computer, follow this tutorial (Microsoft website).
    • If you have a Windows 7 computer, follow this tutorial (Sevenforums website).
    If you're all set with that, turn on your Xbox 360 and see if you can connect to Xbox LIVE, if you can't, post the exact problem in a comment below and I'll try and help you out personally.
    Note: If you already have ZoneAlarm Pro installed and running on your computer, read step 3.

Step 2: Download the correct programs on your computer.
    Now, when you can connect to Xbox LIVE on your Xbox 360, you want to prepare your computer for hosting private lobbies online. Look at the "Requirements" section above again, there should be to dots telling you you need "ZoneAlarm Pro" and "CommView [optional]". Click on the green "here" buttons to download a trial version of both programs. But, however, if you look closely at the "ZoneAlarm Pro" dot, you'll see that you will need the fully licensed version of ZoneAlarm Pro. I can't provide you any kind of crack for that program, but I can provide you with my purchased license key to use for the program. If you want to obtain the license key, "Start a Conversation" with me. Now, when you've downloaded the programs, install them by clicking on the downloaded items. The setup pritty much is as easy as can be, so they pretty much explains themselfs. You may need to restart your computer ones to complete the setup for ZoneAlarm Pro, so take note of that.

Step 3: "Now the fun begins" as said by Marcus Fenix.
    Note: If you get a message saying that ZoneAlarm Pro found a new network connection, make sure to put it on the "Internet" zone, and not on the "Trusted" zone. If you put it on "Trusted", the entire tutorial will not work, as there will not be happening anything. If you have multiple networks showing up as "new network found", put them all in the "Internet" zone.

Now, what you want to do is open ZoneAlarm Pro and have your first look at it. You will see a screen like this appear when you open the program:
    [​IMG]
    What you want to do is click on the "Firewall" link on your left hand. By doing that, this screen will appear:
    [​IMG]
    Now, this is your main operating screen, so remember how you got here. On your computer, the "Internet Zone Security" setting will propably be set to "High", you want to turn that down to "Medium", because if it is set to "High", you won't be able to connect to Xbox LIVE! Okay, so the following step is to add Xbox LIVE's IP adress into the "Trusted" zone. You can do that by clicking "Zones" underneath the "Firewall" link on the left side of the window:
    [​IMG]
    Note 1: This is the location of the current screen.
    Note 2: This is the button to add Xbox LIVE's IP adress.
    Note 3: This is the IP adress of Xbox LIVE, "65.55.42.52".
    Now, that you're on that screen, you can add Xbox LIVE's IP adress by clicking the "Add >>" button (Note 2) on the screen. A small box will appear that allows you to select 4 different options. Click "IP Adress" to open another small window. In the window that appears, you want to select the following option and fill in the following data:
    • Zone: Trusted
    • IP Adress: 65.55.42.52
    • Description: Xbox LIVE's IP
    Once the small window matches the data above, you can close the window by clicking the "OK" button. Now, you want to click on the "Main" button directly below "Firewall" on the left side of the window, and a message will come up saying that there have been made changes and if you want to save them. You want to save the changes you made by clicking the "Yes" button. Now you can really get in the boosting!

Step 4: Let the boosting begin!
    Now that's all set up, we can get started on the real boosting. This is also where the things might get complicated so I decided to do this in steps:

Creating a 1 vs bots match [Difficulty: *]:
    1. (Xbox) Start up Gears of War 3 and get into either an "Invite Only", "Joinable Friends" or "Joinable Public" party by pressing the Back button (<) and selecting the option you like.
    2. (Xbox) Select "Versus" by selecting it and then pressing the A button on it.
    3. (Xbox) Select either "Casual" or "Standard" by selecting it and then pressing A on it.
    4. (Xbox) Select any kind of playlist you want to boost on, in this example, this will be "Team Deathmatch", and start a Quick Match of the playlist you want.
    5. (Xbox) You should be starting matchmaking, wait for the game to find a quick match. Once you're in a quick match, wait untill you spawn.
    6. (PC) Once you've spawned, set your "Internet Security Zone" in ZoneAlarm on "High". If done correctly, you will see that when you shoot, your bullet counter doesn't go down and players will be running against walls and continuesly shoot.
    7. (Xbox) You have to wait a few seconds in order to start a bot lobby. You will be notified of it by a message saying "Game host disconnected. Resuming game with new host."
    8. (Xbox) After another few seconds, you will notice that you'll be put in a match with no other players, if you are in a match with no other players, you've correctly done these steps and are now ready to boost on a 1 vs bots match.
    9. (PC) [Optional; recommended] When you are in a fully loaded bot match, turn the "Internet Security Zone" back to "Med" to prevent being disconnected from Xbox LIVE after a while. When other players join, what they will do, just turn the zone to "High" again and wait for them to lagg out.
    Creating a 5 vs bots match [Difficulty: **]:
    Note: You will have to add all IP adresses of the friends you want to play with. In this case you will need 5 IP adresses: The Xbox LIVE IP adress and the 4 IP adresses of your friends.
    1. (PC) The first step if to obtain all IP adresses from you 4 buddies. You can do this by using CommView which is mentioned earlier. I will not advance in the use of this program, you can look at some tutorials on how to use CommView on many different sites, a Google search will help you out there. Once you have obtained your buddies IP adresses, add them in ZoneAlarm with the same method described in Step 3.
    2. (Xbox) Follow steps 1 through 8 of "Creating a 1 vs bots match" described above.
    3. (Xbox) Once in an empty bot match, invite your friends to the game. If they are not able to join your game, you didn't add the correct IP adresses of your buddies. If that happens, go back on your PC and fix the IP adresses of you buddies untill they are able to join your game.
    4. (Both) If you want, you can leave the zone on "High" to prevent other players from joining the match. You might be disconnected from Xbox LIVE after a while if you do this though.
    5. (Xbox) Congratulations, you are now in a 5 vs bots match.
    Creating a 5 vs 5 match [Difficulty: ***]:
    Note: You will have to add all IP adresses of the friends you want to play with. In this case you will need 10 IP adresses: The Xbox LIVE IP adress and the 9 IP adresses of your friends.

Before I show you the steps of creating a 5 vs 5 match, I want to explain you what a "bridger" is. Basically, what you have been doing is very simmilar to bridiging, only the bridgers are the hosts of another party in the game. A party of 5 members. They will make you able to host 5 vs 5 matches. You cannot host 5 vs 5 matches without having one or more bridgers. I will be using the newest method, the 5 vs 5 match with 1 bridger (you). There is also a way of doing it with 2 bridgers, but that is a bit unneeded as these matches can be done with only 1 bridger.
    1. (Xbox) Follow steps 1 through 8 of "Creating a 1 vs bots match" described above.
    2. (Both) Follow steps 3 through 5 of "Creating a 5 vs bots match" descibed above.
    3. (Xbox) Leave the game. All the other players will recieve the message " Game host disconnected. Resuming game with new host." and start their own bot match.
    4. (Xbox) Have someone in Team A (the team now in a bot match) invite the 5th player of your team into the game.
    5. (Xbox) Start another party with a total of 5 members.
    6. (PC) Leave the internet zone in ZoneAlarm on "High".
    7. (Xbox) Search a match on the same playlist as the playlist you've chosen in the earlier steps. (Example: If you made a bot match in Team Deathmatch, search for Team Deathmatch)
    8. (Xbox) If done correctly, you will be ending up in the same game as you did before, with the same players. (If you didn't end up in the same match, you turned the Internet Zone to "Med" instead of keeping it on "High")
    9. (Xbox) Congratulations, you are now in a 5 vs 5 match with the players you've chosen.
    ======================================================================
    So there you have it, that was the tutorial. I hope you understand it better right now. I want you to know that I took more then 45 minutes to type this, so if you liked the tutorial, please click the "Like" button below. If you need help, just post the questions in a reply below, or send me a message on Se7enSins. I also like you to know that it was not my intention to steal anyone's work, I just intended to make the tutorial posted earlier, easier to understand. There's only one credit I have to mention:

ExpertAdviceMan - Creating the original "Boosting Explained" tutorial.

Thanks for that, ExpertAdviceMan. Again, I did not intend to steal any of your tutorial, I only wanted to make it easier to understand.

• Like Like x 9
  2. Superman

Superman Phenomenal.

Ratings:
    Dont feel like reading this because im lazy as hell. But looks nice, and pretty detailed.
    Looks like even dummies could make a King of the Hill boosting lobby now. (:
    Btw, If you want to have it 1 vs bots, you could also have f*cked up internet and a strict NAT and search for any game. :tongue:

3. DiggerNick

DiggerNick Enthusiast

Ratings:
    nice job!
    i just put my router to super-strict so the ping is over 150, then i ALWAYS end up in bot lobbies

4. OP
    Senex

Ratings:
    Jep, those are also... options. These are just multiple types of lobbies including 1 versus bots, but also more people, so yeah. But I guess if you want to boost alone, you can do those two things too. :smile: Thanks for the comments, btw!

5. Superman

Superman Phenomenal.

Ratings:
    Neine problemo! (Which is German combined with Mexican with a little bit of my personal language)

6. fat pat 666

fat pat 666 Lucifixture

Ratings:
    looks simple enough, lol i just set up mine the other day, thx btw

7. LEGIT 5KI115

LEGIT 5KI115 Professional Jimmie Rustler

Ratings:
    It was a very detailed an well put together guide nice job

8. OP
    Senex

Ratings:
    Thanks and that was no problem. :wink:
    Thank you! :wink:

9. fat pat 666

fat pat 666 Lucifixture

Ratings:
    me n u should do some koth games.

10. OP
    Senex

Ratings:
    I guess we can do that sometimes in the weekends, yeah. :tongue:

11. fat pat 666

fat pat 666 Lucifixture

Ratings:
    hell yeah tom, we gotta rank up. o_O

12. Flyyboiinoo

Flyyboiinoo Enthusiast

Ratings:
    wen i put it on high it jus says lost connection to host and i end up back in the main menu

13. OP
    Senex

Ratings:
    That happens sometime, if you get that, try it again and you should be able to get into a bot match.
    Or, if you have an "Moderate" or "Strict" NAT-Type, you can't do this at all, so make sure your NAT-Type is "Open".

14. Flyyboiinoo

Flyyboiinoo Enthusiast

Ratings:
    yeaa its open n ok i will jus try a few more times until i see host migration.

15. shabbypenguin

shabbypenguin Enthusiast

Ratings:
    thanks for the tut, but not sure why you said you need a crossover cable? the xbox has an auto-detecting port that will switch on teh fly for ya

16. milkdudaaa

milkdudaaa Enthusiast

Ratings:
    pretty sure you run your ethernet from your xbox to your computer

17. shortysjr

shortysjr Newbie

Ratings:
  18. technoobie

technoobie Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Awesome Skills, i believe you that this works really well because you did alot to help me out. But for some reason i cannot get this to work for me. i follow this tutorial word for word, line to line and still cannot get the host.
    I download the zone alarm program that you used, I used the key and make it full version. i enter the ip address and save it. went to standard match>team deathmatch>quick match. got droped into a game, as soon as i spawned i put the internet zone to high. NOTHING happens, i shoot my gun and the bullets counts down. i put the internet zone to medium and then high again. still nothing happens.
    AM i missing something??? i can't figure out what i'm doing wrong....:confused::mad::frown:

19. OP
    Senex

Ratings:
    If that happens, you have to download Cain & Abel, and start poisoning your connection in order to get it to work.

20. technoobie

technoobie Enthusiast

Ratings:
    I have cain and abel. What I did last night was: team death match, quick match. When i spawned, i hit poison then put internet to high. Same thing. No one was running into walls. Cain and Abel was showing me a everyone's up address. I put the first up address in zone alarm and block it. Anyway, everyone was running into walls. I ended up in a room with all bots. But about 5 minutes later, the room was full with players. My zone alarm internet was still on high. Don't know how to kick people out and avoid people from entering. What am I doing wrong?