What's new

Solved Dumb mistake. I flashed the latest dashboard without double checking what dashboard the console was using.

• Thread starter skykilller30
  • Start date
  • Views 866
skykilller30

skykilller30

Reaction score
Sin$
So I usually turn these mod chip installs around pretty quick but i hadn’t done one in a while so when I got this latest console from good will I just booted it and made sure it worked then took it apart. I read the nand. Created the ecc and flashed it. Installed my ave v5 chip and Got my CPU key but I then I created a XeBuild with the latest dashboard. (17559)

when I tried to boot I get the Xbox intro screen but then it goes to the error 71 screen. It was then that i realized I didn’t note the OG dash version/update before doing the mod.

since I think the error 7is a mismatch of dashboards what should I do? Should I build a XeBuild with the dash before 17559? And just keep trying different dash version until one boots fully?

I also took off the 4 GB storage temporarily when installing the mod chip so I don’t know if that could cause error 71 (I didn’t think so but I wanted to mention it)

Help my dumb self.

xXBeefyDjXx

xXBeefyDjXx

Long time Sinner
Administrator
Hidden Devils
MotM 10th Anniversary Mr. Nice Guy
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
So I usually turn these mod chip installs around pretty quick but i hadn’t done one in a while so when I got this latest console from good will I just booted it and made sure it worked then took it apart. I read the nand. Created the ecc and flashed it. Installed my ave v5 chip and Got my CPU key but I then I created a XeBuild with the latest dashboard. (17559)

when I tried to boot I get the Xbox intro screen but then it goes to the error 71 screen. It was then that i realized I didn’t note the OG dash version/update before doing the mod.

since I think the error 7is a mismatch of dashboards what should I do? Should I build a XeBuild with the dash before 17559? And just keep trying different dash version until one boots fully?

I also took off the 4 GB storage temporarily when installing the mod chip so I don’t know if that could cause error 71 (I didn’t think so but I wanted to mention it)

Help my dumb self.

Welcome to 7S :wink:

E71 is broken or mismatched dashboard files. It's unusual for it to be a broken file unless your downloads are corrupt...

if you've still got your nand dumps, load them back up in j-runner and look at the info fields. It tells you what dashboard version the console was on including kernel, try rebuilding the same version first and seeing if you still get E71.

L8Hm2pg.png

You can usually build almost any version of the dashboard and the console would run perfectly fine (You can downgrade Slims to NXE Kinect and sometimes even NXE and they will run).
If you're still struggling after building a nand image with the right dash version or newer, double check your soldering for the nand points since it might be corrupting the nand if you're flashing with broken joints or wires.

skykilller30

skykilller30

Reaction score
Sin$
Thats where that info is!! I keep a big database of all the nands I’ve dumped so I still have it. I was clicking through the options trying to see if it told me anywhere what dash the nand was originally. Thank you for the helpful info, I just checked real quick and it was using dash 17526. Now I’ll have somewhere to start when I dive back into it tomorrow. I might be back if I have any issues. Thanks again!
Post automatically merged:

Oh where do I get old dashboard downloads. Or is that something I have to do on my own with some googling.

skykilller30

skykilller30

Reaction score
Sin$
So i flashed a xebuild image with dash 17526. And when i uploaded it it went right to a 79 error code on the screen. So tried to redo the flash. and now my xbox 360 wont turn on at all. I hear the chime when i press the power button but there isnt any light at all... did i kill it?

I re adjusted my nand wires and I was able to boot into xell but after a while it crashed into this

I then rebooted into xell and it seemed to be working because that red screen didn’t pop back up. I am currently recreating and flashing 17599 dash to get back to where I started (I don’t know if my 17526 files for Jrunner are the right ones/correct format. It was a random download)

when i try to get into the XeBuild with the 17599 dash it glitches 3-4 times then stops and the console doesn’t boot.

OK final post until i get some recommendations do more things, so I am not just talking to myself :smile:. I used XeBuild GUI to build a nand image with 17526. I flashed that image with jrunner. I can boot the console but it loads the xbox 360 logo and then i get a red light and a Error code 79. thoughts on my dumb situation?

Last edited:
xXBeefyDjXx

xXBeefyDjXx

Long time Sinner
Administrator
Hidden Devils
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
So i flashed a xebuild image with dash 17526. And when i uploaded it it went right to a 79 error code on the screen. So tried to redo the flash. and now my xbox 360 wont turn on at all. I hear the chime when i press the power button but there isnt any light at all... did i kill it?

I re adjusted my nand wires and I was able to boot into xell but after a while it crashed into this

I then rebooted into xell and it seemed to be working because that red screen didn’t pop back up. I am currently recreating and flashing 17599 dash to get back to where I started (I don’t know if my 17526 files for Jrunner are the right ones/correct format. It was a random download)

when i try to get into the XeBuild with the 17599 dash it glitches 3-4 times then stops and the console doesn’t boot.

OK final post until i get some recommendations do more things, so I am not just talking to myself :smile:. I used XeBuild GUI to build a nand image with 17526. I flashed that image with jrunner. I can boot the console but it loads the xbox 360 logo and then i get a red light and a Error code 79. thoughts on my dumb situation?

This definitely sounds like a dashboard file issue, though if it's doing the same on Xell (even when just writing SMC?), it might be a real bad connection on your demon chip, you haven't knocked the chip at all (or the ribbon cable is loose?)?

If you're really struggling even with the latest copy of J-Runner, I'll be happy to build a nand for you if you send me your retail nand and cpu key so I can check your values etc.

skykilller30

skykilller30

Reaction score
Sin$
i dont have a demon. Here is the installation I’m using a jrunner and ace v5 chip. I don’t think I bumped the jrunner. It worked when I modded a corona in July.

I can send you my original nand and keys. How do you want me to get it to you.

im not thinking. jrunner is the program. i am using a JR-PRogrammer to mod the nand. TOO MANY "J"s

Last edited:
xXBeefyDjXx

xXBeefyDjXx

Long time Sinner
Administrator
Hidden Devils
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
i dont have a demon. Here is the installation I’m using a jrunner and ace v5 chip. I don’t think I bumped the jrunner. It worked when I modded a corona in July.

I can send you my original nand and keys. How do you want me to get it to you.

im not thinking. jrunner is the program. i am using a JR-PRogrammer to mod the nand. TOO MANY "J"s

Oops, wrong thread lol, I should lay off the coffee :tongue:

Your wiring is "okay" but ideally you should refrain from leaving any exposed wire outside of the points in question, a stray piece of wire or an exposed point of wire touches another accidentally is a very common cause for weird behaviour and can cause damage.

Sometimes bad CPU_RST points or wire can cause issues too, maybe try relocating it if you're getting unstable boots.

RE your nands, upload the original and keys in txt to mega or google drive, DM me a link and I'll rebuild a latest nand for you with the correct LDVs etc. :smile:

skykilller30

skykilller30

Reaction score
Sin$

The exposed points on the mod chip wires or the nand/JR programmer wires? The long exposed parts of the nand connection aren’t wires themselves they are single pieces of metal (old capacitor leads) I can solder and un solder them without damaging the wires connected to the jr programmer.

xXBeefyDjXx

xXBeefyDjXx

Long time Sinner
Administrator
Hidden Devils
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$

The exposed points on the mod chip wires or the nand/JR programmer wires? The long exposed parts of the nand connection aren’t wires themselves they are single pieces of metal (old capacitor leads) I can solder and un solder them without damaging the wires connected to the jr programmer.

The exposed points on the mod chip wires. Since these are through hole points I usually tend to feed through and use heat from the reverse side so it is clean on top then trim excess. That's just imo though and they look good enough to be stable without issue.

skykilller30

skykilller30

Reaction score
Sin$
oh yea that is a good point. Ill do that from now on. The most anoying part for me is soldering to those tiny SMD resistors. Ive lifted and had to replace so many of those. It can turn a 5 min job into a 30+ minute job.

skykilller30

skykilller30

Reaction score
Sin$
So the 4GB storage thing I have in my trinity might be bad?

(It would be the only storage I have) there isn’t a usb or hdd connected at this point

Lucky

Lucky

HYX's stamp of approval!
Super Moderators
Premium
Scaling the Mountain Beginning of An Odyssey Bright Idea
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
So the 4GB storage thing I have in my trinity might be bad?

(It would be the only storage I have) there isn’t a usb or hdd connected at this point
It's possible.
It might not necessarily be bad, but have a bad partition.

Try to remove it and launch XeLL and see if it still red screens... Be careful if it is the additional hdd storage unit that makes the console act like a corona ("internal" 4gb hdd that gets soldered to the board.. you wouldnt want to damage it if it is still good but needs to be formatted)
(Also make sure disc tray empty)

skykilller30

skykilller30

Reaction score
Sin$
So i have been working beffy Dj and he rebuilt the image of my NAND and i just flashed it using Xell (instead of using my programmer) and it friggen worked!

Thank you so much for your help!

I want to mark it as Solved but my only option is "Unsolved" but my issue is fixed to any mods to come across this. thank

Lucky

Lucky

HYX's stamp of approval!
Super Moderators
Premium
Scaling the Mountain Beginning of An Odyssey Bright Idea
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
So i have been working beffy Dj and he rebuilt the image of my NAND and i just flashed it using Xell (instead of using my programmer) and it friggen worked!

I want to mark it as Solved but my only option is "Unsolved" but my issue is fixed to any mods to come across this. thank
Glad the issue got fixed. I marked the thread as solved for ya… you can always report a thread to be marked solved if you can’t seem to change it :smile:

xXBeefyDjXx

xXBeefyDjXx

Long time Sinner
Administrator
Hidden Devils
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$

Awesome, I'm glad that helped you out buddy!
Sounds like it was a bad nand image. Maybe your J-Runner files are bad?
Keep the NAND image I sent you as your backup, since that's not corrupted :wink:

Top Bottom
Login
Register