What's new

Tutorial Dramatic Raineffect (Tutorial)

L

-Le Me-

Self-Certified Polymath
Reaction score
Welcome my fellow sinners. In this tutorial you will learn how to add a convincing rain effect onto a particular image. This tutorial requires a basic knowledge of Photoshop and its tools beforehand, so be aware that I won't go too much into detail while explaining what I do. All the brushes used in this tutorial can be found at the bottom of this page along with the '.psd' file and all the pictures you see in my post.

Here's the image I'll be working with throughout this tutorial (artwork for the game ''fantasy knight'', artist unknown) :

And here's the outcome in comparison to the original picture :

Ok, so let's get started :

Step 1 : The Raindrops

I've already prepared a brush-set for you to download, but just in case you want to create them yourself, here are the detailed instructions :

• Create a new Photoshop Document (200px in height and 400px in width) and set the background color to white.
  • Reset you Back- and Foregroundcolors ('d' on the keyboard).
  • Create a new layer.
  • Pick the brushtool.
  • Chose a round brush with 9px width and 0% Hardness.
  • Paint a single dot on the left side of the image.
  • Use the wind-filter (Filter > Stylise > Wind).
  • Use the settings : Wind from the left.
  • Repeat 5 times ('CTRL + F' x 5).
  • Use the motion-blur filter (Filter > Blur > Motion Blur).
  • Set the angle to 0° and distance to 25px.
  • Rotate the image 90° CC (Image > Image Rotation > 90° CC).
  • Turn the 'Brush-Layer' slightly to the left.
  • Select the whole image ('CTRL + A').
  • Go to Edit > Define Brush Preset and name it somehow.

Step 1.1 : Document Preparation

The best conditions for this effect are to have one single image, so in case you have lots of layers in your document, I'd recommend to create a stamp ('CTRL + Shift + E' on a new layer) to have the picture on one layer.

Step 1.2 : Atmosphere

First, we need to increase dramatic feeling of the picture, so let's add a curves adjustment layer over the image ('levels' is fine too, but I personally prefer 'curves'). Here is how to increase the contrast (depends on your image, but in my case, it's perfect) :

Next, we'll desaturate our picture a bit to achieve a rainy, dark mood. Also, try to give your picture a 'bluish' color. These are mine settings and here again, they are different on every image, but these are good guidelines :

Step 1.3 : The Flow

To start it off, you have to 'see' the flow in your picture. This is very important for the final outcome because we will have to define the angle of the rain and from where the rain is coming later on.

Here's a small demonstration of the flow in my example :

Once you've found it, we can move on to the actual tutorial...

Step 2 : Rainy Background

We'll begin by adding our background a slight texture :
  1. Reset your back- and foreground color (letter 'd' on your keyboard)
  2. Create a new layer and name it they way you want.
  3. Go to Filter > Render > Clouds.
  4. Go to Filter > Noise > Add Noise...
  5. Go to Filter > Blur > Motion Blur

Set the distance to 50px (depending on your canvas size) and the angle to fit the flow. Here are my settings :

And finally, set the blend mode of the layer to 'Vivid Light' and turn the opacity down to about 30%.

Here's how it should look like (experiment a bit with the noise and blur effect) :

Now all we have to do is make the layer fade in and out. To achieve this, simply apply a layer mask and brush the top and bottom part off (with black). You should use a very soft brush and the brush opacity should be at about 30%. Here are the settings I used :

And here's the result after this second step :

Step 3 : Midrange Rain

Ok, so for those of you who use my brush-pack, simply pick the third brush and scale it to your will :

For all the others, here are the brush settings (Window > Brush) :

Size : 60 – 110
Spacing : 25%
Size Jitter : 50%
Angle Jitter : 1%
Count : 1
Scatter : 1000%

The rest is either 'off' or unticked.

Now, all you have to do is set the angle (Window > Brush). You should try to get the exact same angle as the one you used on the Motion Blur Effect. To find the right angle, try this :

After setting the angle, create a new layer and switch your back- and foreground colors (letter 'x' on your keyboard). Next, simply brush over the image while holding the left mouse button. Once you're satisfied, rename your layer and lower the opacity to about 20%.

This is how it looks like for me :

Step 4 : Closerange Rain

Basically, this is the same as the step before, but this time you pick the forth brush and set it to the exact same angle. Also, make sure to brush on a new layer.

Again, for those who don't use my pack, here are the settings :

Size : 180 – 250
Spacing : 50%
Size Jitter : 100%

The rest stays the same.

This time, turn the opacity to about 50%.

Quick overview :

Step 5 : The Details

Finally, we're getting to my favorite part.

Chose the second brush of my pack and lower the opacity of the layer to about 35%.

Here are the settings once again for those who don't use my pack :

Pick a round brush with 1px size, 100% hardness, 800% Spacing, 1000% Scatter and 'Smoothing' ticked. The rest is unticked and/or 'off'.

Now begin to brush over the main 'render'. Direct splashes need to be more defined with a higher opacity. Light splashes need to have a lesser opacity. Change the spacing of the dots for indirect splashes, for example where the water is lightly covering fur. Some splashes can be thrown into the air as if the subject is in movement. Be creative, every picture will require different brushing applications. Light is the most important factor to consider in showing water, especially during the night. Water also flows downwards (crazy huh), so where water culminates and drains off, show this with more dense dots.

Now repeat on a new layer, but this time set the layer opacity to 50%. Use this to highlight some spots.

Step 6 : The final Step

Simply add a last 'color balance' adjustmentlayer to bring out the blue. You only have to edit the midtones :

Final Result:

I hope you all liked this tutorial. Feel free to ask any questions and I'm looking foward to see some of your outcomes !

Thanks !

Credit : http://www.giveupalready.com/showthread.php?64917-Rain-Rain-Go-Away-Photoshop-Tutorial

K

xiPuRe HateRs

_-`-_-`-_-`-_-`-_-`-_-`-_-`-_-`-_-`-_-`-_-`-_-`-_
Staff
Reaction score
Nice tutorial!

Thanks man, I'll be using this in the future for some of my projects at college. This is much easier than the way I used to do it.. :smile:

L

-Le Me-

Self-Certified Polymath
Reaction score
Nice tutorial!

Thanks man, I'll be using this in the future for some of my projects at college. This is much easier than the way I used to do it.. :smile:
Glad to be able to help out! Thanks! :smile:

Top Bottom