• Start date
  • Views 511
Zero Two

Zero Two

Getting There
Seasoned Veteran Grizzled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Okay so, I am a PC gamer, I hate console, I haven't even played a console in over 2 or 3 years now, and I've been playing on PC for a long while. I recently experienced some slight lag in my games. So I'll tell you all my specs, and maybe give me some feedback on what I can upgrade.​
Specs:​
PSU: OEM 550W Power Supply - ATX, Dual +12V Rail, Ultra Silent
CPU / Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) 9850 Quad-Core Processor 2.50 ghz​
GPU / Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 5770 HD 1GB​
RAM/MEMORY: 5GB Crucial​
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS M4A785-M - motherboard - micro ATX - Socket AM2+ - AMD 785G - Socket AM2+
Here's a little Gameplay on Black Ops 2, My FPS is in the top right hand corner.

Additional PSU Info:​
OEM GPB500S-B LS550 Black Power Supply
Keep your system running efficiently with the GPB500S-B LS550 Black Power Supply. This 550-Watt PSU delivers consistent electric supply, providing your computer components the power that they need. With an efficiency of 72%, you can be sure that the energy flowing is utilized effectively. The GPB500S-B LS550 Black Power Supply offers a 20+4 pin motherboard connector, four SATA power connector, four 4-pin peripheral connector and others connector that you will need to power different components. It also features a 120mm cooling fan which provides sufficient airflow to keep your system running efficiently. Get the GPB500S-B LS550 Black Power Supply now.
What It Is And Why You Need It:
  • 550-Watt power supply; delivers efficient energy to your computer​
  • 72% efficiency; ensures energy won’t be wasted​
  • 120mm cooling fan; dissipates the generated heat that may affect the system's performance​

Last edited:
InfectHead

InfectHead

Strip the flesh, salt the wound!
End of the Year 2012 MotM Grammar Nazi
Reaction score
Sin$
What's the exact model/manufacturer of your PSU?

You seem to maintain a solid 60 frames in BO2 which is good, however that's quite resource friendly so not a great indication. If you're power supply is decent, then I'd upgrade the graphics card to something like a HD 7850, buy a good CPU cooler and overclock the Phenom 9850 and add an SSD to increase loading times.

SmashinHearts

SmashinHearts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$

You seem to maintain a solid 60 frames in BO2 which is good, however that's quite resource friendly so not a great indication. If you're power supply is decent, then I'd upgrade the graphics card to something like a HD 7850, buy a good CPU cooler and overclock the Phenom 9850 and add an SSD to increase loading times.
I secons this, nothing else really

Zero Two

Zero Two

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$

I've updated the thread with the correct info for my PSU

Train Samurai

Train Samurai

Getting There
Mr. Nice Guy Grammar Nazi Experienced Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$

*Your* :tongue:

Back on topic; InfectHead's recommendation is spot on.
I wouldn't trust that PSU though, 72% is below average. Upgrading to a PSU with atleast 80% bronze efficiency should be your priority. The Corsair GS series should last you sometime, and you can probably reuse it in a new build!

If you're on a tight budget, I recommend the HD 7770. They can be had for Δ$100 second hand.

An SSD upgrade would be a waste, unless you want faster boot up times.

The Hyper 212 would be a good cooler if you plan on OCing.

Other than that, any more upgrading would be like building a nee computer

Zero Two

Zero Two

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
*Your* :tongue:

Back on topic; InfectHead's recommendation is spot on.
I wouldn't trust that PSU though, 72% is below average. Upgrading to a PSU with atleast 80% bronze efficiency should be your priority. The Corsair GS series should last you sometime, and you can probably reuse it in a new build!

If you're on a tight budget, I recommend the HD 7770. They can be had for Δ$100 second hand.

An SSD upgrade would be a waste, unless you want faster boot up times.

The Hyper 212 would be a good cooler if you plan on OCing.

Other than that, any more upgrading would be like building a nee computer

I've been wanting to use Sonic Ether's Unbelievable Shaders Mod for Minecraft, my only issue is that it lags like hell. :frown: I don't know what the problem is :\ So if I upgrade my Graphics card, and get better cooling, that might give me more FPS?

I get about 20+ FPS in with this mod, and I've seen people get 35+ or more.. So what can I upgrade to get a 30+ FPS in this?

Not my video....
Video of Sonic Ether's Unbelievable Shaders.

InfectHead

InfectHead

Reaction score
Sin$
I've updated the thread with the correct info for my PSU

I'd be wary of adding some higher-end components on that PSU, Ultra are a hit-or-miss brand. Unfortunately there's no combined 12V indicator, but if you add up the two 12V lines you get 43A (or 516W) (this method isn't the correct way of finding out wattage output on the 12V lines btw, but it will do) so the combined amps must be much less than that :/

How much money do you have on upgrades?

Zero Two

Zero Two

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
I'd be wary of adding some higher-end components on that PSU, Ultra are a hit-or-miss brand. Unfortunately there's no combined 12V indicator, but if you add up the two 12V lines you get 43A (or 516W) (this method isn't the correct way of finding out wattage output on the 12V lines btw, but it will do) so the combined amps must be much less than that :/

How much money do you have on upgrades?

300 - 400 $ ?

InfectHead

InfectHead

Reaction score
Sin$
An XFX 550W PSU + GTX 660 for under $250 would be a worthwhile upgrade. Unfortunately that motherboard isn't too good for overclocking as it's only a 4+1 phase design with no VRM protection, and I doubt you want to go through the hassle of overclocking, so upgrading to a decent power supply and graphics card will do.

Another addition you may be interested in is an SSD. To put it simply, they're like a hard drive, only incredibly faster (and more expensive). Loading times for maps on BO2 for example would be reduced to ~5 seconds, boot times reduced to ~10 seconds and installation/opening of games/programs would be significantly increased. For $115 you can get a Samsung 830 SSD and it will honestly be the best upgrade to your machine. Just chuck your operating system, programs and a few games on there and you'll be sweet.

Tankzz

Tankzz

"Innocent Fluffy Bunny Rabbit Killer"
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Okay so, I am a PC gamer, I hate console, I haven't even played a console in over 2 or 3 years now, and I've been playing on PC for a long while. I recently experienced some slight lag in my games. So I'll tell you all my specs, and maybe give me some feedback on what I can upgrade.​
Specs:​
PSU: OEM 550W Power Supply - ATX, Dual +12V Rail, Ultra Silent
CPU / Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) 9850 Quad-Core Processor 2.50 ghz
GPU / Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 5770 HD 1GB​
RAM/MEMORY: 5GB Crucial
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS M4A785-M - motherboard - micro ATX - Socket AM2+ - AMD 785G - Socket AM2+
Here's a little Gameplay on Black Ops 2, My FPS is in the top right hand corner.

Additional PSU Info:​
OEM GPB500S-B LS550 Black Power Supply
Keep your system running efficiently with the GPB500S-B LS550 Black Power Supply. This 550-Watt PSU delivers consistent electric supply, providing your computer components the power that they need. With an efficiency of 72%, you can be sure that the energy flowing is utilized effectively. The GPB500S-B LS550 Black Power Supply offers a 20+4 pin motherboard connector, four SATA power connector, four 4-pin peripheral connector and others connector that you will need to power different components. It also features a 120mm cooling fan which provides sufficient airflow to keep your system running efficiently. Get the GPB500S-B LS550 Black Power Supply now.
What It Is And Why You Need It:
  • 550-Watt power supply; delivers efficient energy to your computer​
  • 72% efficiency; ensures energy won’t be wasted​
  • 120mm cooling fan; dissipates the generated heat that may affect the system's performance​

Start with the red, Ultra PSUs are known to be cheap. From the cheap chinese caps to the abysmal soldering they tend to not even reach their rated specs. They say 72%, but often that is at cold temperatures (0C) that they test at in order to get a decent rating. Running these at room temp you will never get those specs. I would imagine that unit will only allow 350W at most under load.

The green, time to upgrade that CPU. THe 9xxx AMD series was a flop and they had issues. Your motherboard will allow for a drop in upgrade to a phenom, deneb, or athlon x4. That motherboard supports 125W cpus, but I would find a Quad core Dened or Thuban that is a 95W chip as it would provide a bit of wiggle room.

The blue, why do you have 5GB? I don't believe they ever made 512MB DDR3 sticks so you are probably running in single channel with 2x2gb and a 1gb stick. Take out the 1 GB you are losing performance due to it. You also only want 2 sticks to activate one dual channel due to stress put on the MC (memory controller).

My recommendations

-Get a 95watt CPU if possible, if not look for a 125watt. Anything from the X4 840,945,955,965, etc...
-Grab a set of 2x4GB ram. drop the weird configuration taht you have. I recommend this to take a load off the MC and allow you to run in dual channel mode.
-Grab a budget QUALITY power supply. That Ultra is a timebomb
-I would not recommend overclocking on the board. If you can get a 95watt cpu then you can bump it a few hundred MHZ, but nothing more than that.

coolbunnymodz

coolbunnymodz

The Original Bunny
Programmer 10th Anniversary Mythical Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Currently using like a 400 dollar laptop from Wal-Mart, I'll take what you don't want :tongue:

Top Bottom
Login
Register