Disc read errors! YES!

Discussion in 'Xbox 360' started by T Sizzles, Jun 24, 2009 with 19 replies and 375 views.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T Sizzles

T Sizzles VIP VIP

Ratings:
    My launch Xbox finally got the 3ROD after 3 years of use in December. I had the 3 year extended warranty for the RROD still valid, it broke days before it expired. So they sent me a new box, with an Opus mobo and a LiteON DVD drive. So for the past month the drive has been being quirky, sometimes showing there isn't a disc in the drive in the dashboard when there really is, random "cannot read disc errors". Now it's gotten really bad. I bought NHL 09 last Friday, and Friday night I was getting errors. I thought it was the discs. Call of Duty 4 and 5 seem to be fine, but some discs like GTA and Ranibow Six Vegas 2 won't load at all. Forza Motorsport is fine, so is Madden. All the discs work fine on my other box.

I've taken off the hard drive, cleared the cache, nothing fixes it. I guess I'm going to have to pay the $100 and send it in. Oh well. I'm picking up my $300 paycheck for last week tomorrow so I guess I'll do it.

2. Tuxedo

Tuxedo Getting There

Ratings:
    That's unfortunate. I have the same problem with my console. I'm waiting for the red ring so I can send it in for free. It's a shame it costs that much to fix what seems to be a rather common issue.

3. iDragon

iDragon Contributor

Ratings:
    Your better off buying a new arcade with a jasper with the paycheck

4. Carson

Carson Retired Retired

Ratings:
    If I remember correctly, you have a year warranty on the box they sent you back. If not, give it the RRoD and get it fixed for free bro.

5. Coletrain17

Coletrain17 Getting There

Ratings:
    NHL 09 is a fantastic game, I freakin love it. Shame it doesn't work :.(

But yeah, pop off one of the ram chips for an insta-red-ring and they'll get you a new box

6. Cameron

Cameron Audiophile

Ratings:
    Do fix the unreadable error you can use a lens cleaner. It won't read the lens cleaner disc at first but keep opening the tray and trying to load it. After a while it should load it and it will clean your Xbox 360 laser or whatever. It's worked for both of my 360s that have had that problem.

7. OP
    T Sizzles

T Sizzles VIP VIP

Ratings:
    Called them up to dispute the warranty. The person told me it was 90 days.

I am considering just buying an Arcade and trading in my current Xbox. I just finished playing COD4 with some friends for like 5 hours straight, no problems. I'm not going to wait for this thing to RROD, it's an Opus.

http://support.xbox.com/support/en/...postservicewarranty/Post-ServiceWarranty.aspx

I'm really leaning towards dropping the $200 and just getting an Arcade. I don't want to pay $100, then have another problem bite me in the *** and pay another $100.

Can anyone give me an estimate on what a store like GameStop or EBGames would pay for a 360 minus HDD, but with the power pack and HD cables? They seem to be fetching around $50 on eBay for a totally broken DVD drive, since mine is partially working I think I could get around $75 to maybe $85 for it.

I tried to force the RROD on it tonight, I put it in a closed cabinet below where it usually is. 5 ****in hours, nothing! I opened up the cabinet, took out my laser thermometer gun, and it was like 95 degrees in the cabinet, and over 100 at the back of the cabinet.

8. Carson

Carson Retired Retired

Ratings:
    Dude, it doesn't matter if its an Opus. Don't waste your time with the towel thing. Just pop a RAM chip off. Trust me, I've done it, it works flawlessly.

9. OP
    T Sizzles

T Sizzles VIP VIP

Ratings:
    But that means I have to open it. And it has one of the new style warranty stickers. I don't trust myself getting it off and putting it back on flawlessly.

I'll see what I can do.

10. Haxalot88

Haxalot88 VIP VIP

Ratings:
    I'm not too fancy on the 360 hardware myself, but there is a small chip easily accessible by just pulling off the top grating (the one that holds the HDD. By its location, I think it might be related to the video chipset. I haven't tried myself to see what error that could cause, but i guess it's possible it could cause 3RRoD.
    I would want more word from Scar or Carson on this before you even consider trying though, just something i noticed after looking for like 30 seconds xD

11. Coletrain17

Ratings:
    Are you set on getting a new 360? Cause I've got an HDMi one I could sell you with cables and all. Shoot me a PM if you're interested

12. Carson

Carson Retired Retired

Ratings:
    Dude, the new style are even easier... Trust me, I've taken off and put back on at least 30. Hair dry it for a minute.

13. Blu3 1ightning

Blu3 1ightning Enthusiast

Ratings:
    or you could get a brand new one completly free buy doing the walmart trick. buy a arcade switch insides and return.

14. Coletrain17

Ratings:
    Gut Swapping is REALLY risky and should be avoided whenever possible. If you get caught you get in deep **** man

15. OP
    T Sizzles

T Sizzles VIP VIP

Ratings:
    I ended up selling two other 360s I had laying around, one was 0022, the other was in perfect working condition, fixed the RROD and replaced the disc drive motor, made about $160 off those, I went ahead and bought an Arcade at Best Buy, looked and got the newest date I could find, made in Jan. 2009, Jasper with HDMI.

16. Abolfazl

Abolfazl Contributor

Ratings:
    All you needed was a new dvd drive which costs ~ $25/30 + someone to install it

17. OP
    T Sizzles

T Sizzles VIP VIP

Ratings:
    I could had installed it if I really wanted to, but since it cost me roughly $40 for a brand spankin' new console with HDMI, I decided to just get the new console. I

18. Abolfazl

Abolfazl Contributor

Ratings:
    What did you do with the broken one you had with drive errors? Ill take it off your hands :smile:

19. OP
    T Sizzles

T Sizzles VIP VIP

Ratings:
    It still has the case that came with my launch one. I have a soft spot for it in my heart. :biggrin:

20. Abolfazl

Abolfazl Contributor

Ratings: