Disc problems after drive swap

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Support Archive' started by raven360, Feb 6, 2010 with 10 replies and 595 views.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raven360

raven360 Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Hey guys, today I did a DVD drive swap. The drive on my xbox recently crapped out and my brother's got the RRoD. Both drives were BenQ. I swapped the PCBs and everything seems to be working properly (laser moving, disc spinning) but now I'm getting disc read errors. This drive came from a problem free Xbox up until it RRoDd. I've checked all my connections and everything seems fine but I do hear a grinding type sound when it's trying to read. It says reading for a minute or so then reverts to Open Tray.

Any help is appreciated.

2. MadLittleMods

MadLittleMods Enthusiast

Ratings:
    if you hear grinding then your discs are probably scraping against the laser/eye and ruining them one by one...:confused:cared:

3. OP
    raven360

raven360 Enthusiast

Ratings:
    I checked for that and they aren't making contact. I just can't figure out what's wrong with this thing.

4. MadLittleMods

MadLittleMods Enthusiast

Ratings:
    wait... did you put the proper keys in the one you put in???

5. OP
    raven360

raven360 Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Yup, I labeled the PCB's and drives accordingly and color coded the wires, so I know for a fact everything is where it needs to be. Also, if it were the key then the drive would still play DVDs and CDs, right?

6. MadLittleMods

MadLittleMods Enthusiast

Ratings:
    never done this but I think it might but you will get banned or it will not even play it. Try spoofing them even though they are the same.

7. OP
    raven360

raven360 Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Nah, you won't get banned for this because it's the same exact thing M$ does when you send it to them. Plus, it isn't flashed, it's just your key in a new drive that has the same exact firmware as your old one.

8. MadLittleMods

MadLittleMods Enthusiast

Ratings:
    sorry i have run out of ideas!:?

9. OP
    raven360

raven360 Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Just got some new info. I took the cover off of the drive and sat a disc in. It seems to me like the spindle is just vibrating and not really spinning. So maybe it's the spindle? I spun it with my finger and it doesn't seem jammed, or stuck.

EDIT: Yeah, the spindle isn't spinning, it's just vibrating. Anyone got a solution?

10. vX Fatality Xv

vX Fatality Xv Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Okay man... when my friend and I spoofed his Lite-On with a brand new BenQ, the disk spun/attempted to read and then did nothing. We opened the BenQ and found that the white plastic part that holds a small spring against the rod snapped in half. Some new drive that was. We just used the one from the other drive and it worked flawlessly. Just open the drive up and take a quick look inside.

11. OP
    raven360

raven360 Enthusiast

Ratings:
    I looked inside and everything seems in order. I'm 100% positive that the problem is coming from the spindle. It's not spinning the disc, but it's vibrating quite a bit. It'll go for a split second if i prod it with my finger but then stops. I can feel alot of resistance when I try to move it while the xbox is trying to read, but if spins freely when the drive is inactive.

I haz a sad.