What's new

Discussion Did I just find a way to still play games without the disc?

N

NastyButtler322

Reaction score
Sin$
I bought the season pass for Fallout 4 the other day, and I played some Fallout 4 yesterday. Then I received my SAMSUNG V-NAND SSD 850 EVO drive in the mail while playing. I unplugged my Xbox One,then realized that I needed to remove the game so I plugged it back in, removed the game, then unplugged it. Then I managed to get the case open. I removed the internal HDD, plugged it and my new SSD into my computer, and cloned it to the SSD by typing this in the terminal: sudo dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sda bs=4M; sync

I then hooked the SSD up into the Xbox One (with a SATA 3 cable, just in case it could use SATA 3), put it all back together, and started playing Fallout 4 to test the speed difference.

I realized that I have been playing Fallout 4 without the disc in the drive. It has never let me do that before. Either the season pass add-ons allowed the game to be played without the disc before I messed with the drives, or the game synced with the SSD from the blue-ray drive when I used sync.

If any of you have the disc copy of Fallout 4 and bought the season pass later, then could you tell me if you still have to insert the disc? Did I just find a way to play games without the disc anymore? I don't recommend treating your console like I just described, but I have a spare.

Unbound 7s

Unbound 7s

0x50676f573
Seasoned Veteran Grizzled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
I'm more ps4/xbox 360 so can't test but have you tested any other games? (excluding season passes). I don't see anything regarding fallout 4 and "no disc" so I doubt it's the SP (season pass) I do have a xbox one so can test later but pretty cool this happened.

H

Hassan abulla

Reaction score
Sin$
Its because the ram is copied to HDD and When you shut it Down with instant on When you start a game it checks for the cd is legit and When is done you Can play the gane by simply manuly removing the cd Dont eject it with software or the Xbox gonna perfom the check again, So this what happened |Game loaded|Check perfomed|Xbox is shutton Down (copying ram to hdd)| you cloned HDD With the State that the game is still inserted|And that it

K

KillianPC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Its because the ram is copied to HDD and When you shut it Down with instant on When you start a game it checks for the cd is legit and When is done you Can play the gane by simply manuly removing the cd Dont eject it with software or the Xbox gonna perfom the check again, So this what happened |Game loaded|Check perfomed|Xbox is shutton Down (copying ram to hdd)| you cloned HDD With the State that the game is still inserted|And that it
could this be exploited?

S

Spriggan 117

Reaction score
Sin$
It sounds to me like youve found a way to save temporary memory(RAM) to your SSD which is meant for a more permanent form of storage. The question is can you turn the system off completely and turn it back on without your memory disappearing. What happens when you load a new game into the xbox ram. Does the old game disappear or does it still come back. It seems to me that limited solution you have achieved has been achieved through the process you cloned the original drive. if thats the case you may be able to permanently save games into your SSD via cloning process. At any rates this brings up more questions than it answers. More testing needs to be conducted.

P

Predatortje

Reaction score
Sin$
I bought the season pass for Fallout 4 the other day, and I played some Fallout 4 yesterday. Then I received my SAMSUNG V-NAND SSD 850 EVO drive in the mail while playing. I unplugged my Xbox One,then realized that I needed to remove the game so I plugged it back in, removed the game, then unplugged it. Then I managed to get the case open. I removed the internal HDD, plugged it and my new SSD into my computer, and cloned it to the SSD by typing this in the terminal: sudo dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sda bs=4M; sync

I then hooked the SSD up into the Xbox One (with a SATA 3 cable, just in case it could use SATA 3), put it all back together, and started playing Fallout 4 to test the speed difference.

I realized that I have been playing Fallout 4 without the disc in the drive. It has never let me do that before. Either the season pass add-ons allowed the game to be played without the disc before I messed with the drives, or the game synced with the SSD from the blue-ray drive when I used sync.

If any of you have the disc copy of Fallout 4 and bought the season pass later, then could you tell me if you still have to insert the disc? Did I just find a way to play games without the disc anymore? I don't recommend treating your console like I just described, but I have a spare.

Well you can try to clone the hdd with the fallout 4 temp memory on it, while you have another game insert.
let us know :smile:

BlueSn00w

BlueSn00w

RGH/JTAG Seller
Reaction score
Sin$
Sick! i would be interested if this can be exploited, editing ram or ssd to change the files loaded from the recovery point mby

H

Hassan abulla

Reaction score
Sin$
Its simple, when you have instant-on, and you shutdown, ram is copied to the HDD, and when you did a swap, and cloned everything from HDD to your SSD, you even copied the state of the Bluray, as game was inserted. So the Xbox thinks a game is inside, without doing a check again, the game was loaded, from the SSD. But the Xbox can feel, when you ejected a CD, or when you try to insert something, but something i dont understand, is, was your xbox unpowered, when ejected the cd, and did you remove the HDD, while your manually ejected it, because the Xbox has a backup battery, i think? because as soon you eject, it writes to hdd, that the game is not inserted.

C

Colby10169

Reaction score
Sin$
Did something similar without copying files. Few years back i played Battlefield 4 offline and took the disc out at some point. Ended up playing it and realized i didn't have the disc in anymore. Worked online, shutting xbox on and off. Got a new xbox and it stopped working, obviously. Just felt like saying.

T

tunip3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
i found that this doesnt work if you put the game in then unplug then use the physical eject it will not work

s76574

s76574

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I could see this being useful if we could manage to prevent overwriting the saved state and possibly swap the different game states. Could definitely be possible with the correct tools
The only issue I could see is if the disc is checked routinely but i doubt it

Last edited:
B

bityra

Reaction score
Sin$
It sounds to me like youve found a way to save temporary memory(RAM) to your SSD which is meant for a more permanent form of storage. The question is can you turn the system off completely and turn it back on without your memory disappearing. What happens when filezilla uc browser rufus you load a new game into the xbox ram. Does the old game disappear or does it still come back. It seems to me that limited solution you have achieved has been achieved through the process you cloned the original drive. if thats the case you may be able to permanently save games into your SSD via cloning process. At any rates this brings up more questions than it answers. More testing needs to be conducted.
"no disc" so I doubt it's the SP (season pass) I do have a xbox one so can test later but pretty cool this happened.

Last edited:
Iphrem

Iphrem

Reaction score
Sin$
Exploit concept would most likely involve first running some sort of official xbox one disc to bypass the encryption, then copying the game you want to run onto the SSD into RAM. Requires testing, and is only a concept--RA

C

Chxos

Reaction score
Sin$
Hello, i was looking around for XB1 exploits and i came across this

https://www.se7ensins.com/forums/th...to-still-play-games-without-the-disc.1645968/

I'm gonna start off by saying that i am no expert in exploiting consoles and such, i'm just trying to put the pieces together for knowledgeable people in this area.

This guy was able to play Fallout 4 without a disc, i don't know this for sure but maybe the xbox checks if the disc is legit as soon as you put it in. So if this guy was able exploit the console to play without a disc, what would happen if someone would be able to code an exploit to exit the VM or to install linux onto a dvd and put it in the console with the dvd drive wide open? my theory is that if you put the disc in with the drive opened the console won't check for the disc again and maybe you'll be able to run that unsigned code, i have my doubts it will work of course, based on the fact that the games on xb1 are installed on the hdd so by doing this the xbox is probably gonna keep reading the game off the hdd, and the disc serves only for the console to check if you're playing a legit copy of the game.

But i guess it's worth a shot, what do you guys think?

S

Sketch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
It's not that simple. There's nothing executed on the disc so unless there's an error while reading/parsing a file from a disc then nothing. Even then, it needs to be signed and apart of the whitelist that's enabled. It's more complicated.

P

Pettiwaves

Reaction score
Sin$
It's not that simple. There's nothing executed on the disc so unless there's an error while reading/parsing a file from a disc then nothing. Even then, it needs to be signed and apart of the whitelist that's enabled. It's more complicated.
What if you do this hot swap mod, & try to install a modded disc ? Wouldn’t it have to execute the information on the disc then?

Twisted Impulse

Twisted Impulse

Reaction score
Sin$
What if you do this hot swap mod, & try to install a modded disc ? Wouldn’t it have to execute the information on the disc then?
No, because the "modded disc" wouldn't have a signed executable.

2934c37

Reaction score
Sin$
Xbox has a history of not remembering too much, for instance on 360 I used too constantly open and close the dashboard and rotate the joy sticks while loading various software components I’ve made connections to Xbox live when I had no access because the system cannot keep up with input over its own processes then priority slips and I’m allowed access. With the one this system still exists, it’s base system is the 360. I had modded my box one for air flow and access to the drive. The hdd I had sticking out the back hanging with hot glue one of my favorite tools.
I made four HDDs for my system was set for instance on. Downloaded all my games to all hdds over 6 tb combined I would swap them in and out depending on wethier I was playing multiplayer/online/ offline games. But then Microsoft took it upon them selfs to update one of my drives , rendering all the other inoperable. I got those stupid errors. I plugged in the drive looked upon the partitions and proceeded to copy updated information to the other drives . note all drives have a time stamp from the live and the services running from in the dashboard there all timed subs. me and Microsoft fought back for months updating and me copying to and fro. eventually i had all the drives data mixed and working together. I was always a month kinda monster at the time gamepass was being invented. it had given me free months of live i did not pay for because the data was so jumbled that it just gave up and gave in. i Actually remember now I was trying to create corruption in the update process by plugging and unplugging the hdd during various time stamps in the update process then the infinite green froze screen occurred, I reset it and it was over. I do know I killed that system later soaking it in vinegar too long during a routine cleaning. LONG LIVE THE TRASH BUCKET BOX can’t wait to get an series x to tear it apart for half dead. You can use the game pass games to patch them over if you do it correctly by mixing data expect corrupted data happil. create a wonkey ecosystem for it and it will slip And fall hard .

Last edited:
Top Bottom
Login
Register