Solved DG-16D4S MXIC vs Winbond

• Thread starter Newcomer
  • Start date
  • Views 1,174
N

Newcomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Which chip of these two is more widely spread? I mean, What's the percentage of DG-16D4S boards that have the Winbond chip (60%,70%, etc..)?

J

JoinTheResistance

Dead to the world, alive for the journey...
Reaction score
I'm not sure, but why does it matter to you?

N

Newcomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well.. I'm planning on flashing my DG-16D4S drive and ordered the "Kamikazi" template assuming it's a Winbond chip (without opening the XBOX) because most of the tutorials on YouTube are about this chip. I didn't have the time yet to disassemble my XBOX 360 in order to check the chip and I won't have the time until next week.. But it would help me to know if I know the percentage of Winbond drives so I know what's the chance that I've got the right tools :tongue:
So if I didn't get the right tools I can go ahead and order the right tools now.. well.. shipping from China takes a lot of time and knowing the right tools will save me a lot of time.

C

Chuckemz

Jedi Sensei
Reaction score
I dont have an exact figure but out of the 16d4s drives I have flashed I'd say 40 out of 50 were winbond

N

Noobert

RGH/Flashing Support
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
They were mostly Winbonds.

If you get a MXIC, you can do the Kamikaze Drilling to unlock it, which I would recommend more than Cutting the trace.

But yes, I'd say more than 50% were Winbond.

N

Newcomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont have an exact figure but out of the 16d4s drives I have flashed I'd say 40 out of 50 were winbond
This is the answer I was looking for! Thanks :smile:
They were mostly Winbonds.

If you get a MXIC, you can do the Kamikaze Drilling to unlock it, which I would recommend more than Cutting the trace.

But yes, I'd say more than 50% were Winbond.
Well.. I did a quick search and found that there are some people who say Yes I can use the Kamikaze drilling method with MXIC while others say No.. And those who say yes also said there is a risk.. What's the risk in using Kamikaze drilling method with an MXIC chip?
Thanks for your kind reply :smile:

H

Harmfulpoop

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if u still are having issues im free and have time to help add my skype harmfulpoop and ill try and help !

J

JoinTheResistance

Reaction score

Well.. I did a quick search and found that there are some people who say Yes I can use the Kamikaze drilling method with MXIC while others say No.. And those who say yes also said there is a risk.. What's the risk in using Kamikaze drilling method with an MXIC chip?
You're making a hole in an integrated circuit that is made up of thousends (or more) transistors and traces, which are as small as or smaller than a piece of hair, everything can go wrong.

N

Noobert

RGH/Flashing Support
VIP
Retired
Reaction score

You're making a hole in an integrated circuit that is made up of thousends (or more) transistors and traces, which are as small as or smaller than a piece of hair, everything can go wrong.

I wouldn't say it's as drastic as JoinTheResistance is saying, but yes, you can ruin your PCB.

But, if you buy the Maximus Kamikaze Template, and take your time there's no way you can screw up unless you weren't paying attention.

As for those saying no, and others saying yes, the only thing I can assume is that the people who said No were the ones who screwed up lol.

I've done multiple MXICs doing the Drilling method, not one ever screwed up.

This is the Template I was talking about.

If you get that, there's no way you'll screw up drilling.

I made a guide:
Here

If you click the Spoiler for flashing the slim, it shows both ways. But as I said, the Winbond method can be used for both types. And if you scroll all the way up, it shows everything you need to flash your drive successfully and where to get the stuff.

J

JoinTheResistance

Reaction score
I wouldn't say it's as drastic as JoinTheResistance is saying, but yes, you can ruin your PCB.

But, if you buy the Maximus Kamikaze Template, and take your time there's no way you can screw up unless you weren't paying attention.

As for those saying no, and others saying yes, the only thing I can assume is that the people who said No were the ones who screwed up lol.

I made a guide:
Here

If you click the Spoiler for flashing the slim, it shows both ways. But as I said, the Winbond method can be used for both types. And if you scroll all the way up, it shows everything you need to flash your drive successfully and where to get the stuff.
I didn't mean to make it sound like something almost impossible. I am just implying that there is a reason why it's called "Kamikaze". :wink: But yeah if you use the template properly, you shouldn't have any problems.

N

Newcomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does that even mean that doing a Kamikaze hack on a MXIC chip is more "risky" than doing Kamikaze on a Winbond chip?
And LOL, I had the self-confidence to do the Kamikaze hack myself before you pointed to the transistors thing and now I'm just amazed how does the Kamikaze hack even work! I asked myself the same question when I first saw a Kamikaze hack but then I noticed everyone was doing it and it works!

I made a guide:
Here

Yes LOL.. I found a thread in some forum and the OP was asking for help after screwing up his PCB by doing the Kamikaze hack on a MXIC chip and almost all the members made fun of him because he was using the kamikaze hack on a MXIC chip claiming it would not work.
And yes, I've ordered the same template and drill in addition to a pack of 0.8mm drills..
BTW, What do you mean by "paying attention"? paying attention to what exactly?

N

Noobert

RGH/Flashing Support
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Does that even mean that doing a Kamikaze hack on a MXIC chip is more "risky" than doing Kamikaze on a Winbond chip?
And LOL, I had the self-confidence to do the Kamikaze hack myself before you pointed to the transistors thing and now I'm just amazed how does the Kamikaze hack even work! I asked myself the same question when I first saw a Kamikaze hack but then I noticed everyone was doing it and it works!

Yes LOL.. I found a thread in some forum and the OP was asking for help after screwing up his PCB by doing the Kamikaze hack on a MXIC chip and almost all the members made fun of him because he was using the kamikaze hack on a MXIC chip claiming it would not work.
And yes, I've ordered the same template and drill in addition to a pack of 0.8mm drills..
BTW, What do you mean by "paying attention"? paying attention to what exactly?

All you really need to pay attention to is the sound JungleFlasher makes when it unlocks the drive. So as long as your computer has its sound on, you'll be fine :smile:

Also, the Kamikaze method doesn't matter if you're doing it on a MXIC or Winbond. It's all the same, one isn't more risky then the other :smile:

N

Newcomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All you really need to pay attention to is the sound JungleFlasher makes when it unlocks the drive. So as long as your computer has its sound on, you'll be fine :smile:

Also, the Kamikaze method doesn't matter if you're doing it on a MXIC or Winbond. It's all the same, one isn't more risky then the other :smile:
Well.. I won't miss that! My PC build has a giant sub-woofer and the whole room will vibrate when the PCB unlocks LOL :tongue: Thank you.

Top Bottom