Discussion "Death" of the JTAG [History]

• Thread starter techie
  • Start date
  • Views 3,208
T

techie

Reaction score
Sin$
Will jtags ever get permanently banned? That's the question that is sweeping many modding sites forums around the globe.

I've decided to explain why jtags will most likely get banned from online use.

Short answer is yes. Of course this is my opinion from knowledge. Your entitled to believe what you want to believe. But here are reasons for my opinion...

For those of you who aren't stupid. You'll understand how the xbox 360 software works.

It runs around "unprivileged" code.

Then there is a small hypervisor (HV) which runs in "privileged" code.

This hypervisor is protected by "syscall" security. Otherwise known as "system call". Which also prevents you from entering "hypervisor" mode.

Microsoft is constantly acquiring information from console HVs. Especially those in which have modified nand and unsigned code being passed through them.

I think that this is clearly enough info for them to understand exactly what we are doing and prevent us of access to their servers.

Remember it's microsoft we are dealing with. We are creating slight modifications to the system they built. So who knows more? Us or them.

On the bright side. I've seen this method of patch before. What they are attempting right before our eyes...

If you can remember the original xbox exploit happened. And microsoft didn't have a fix for it. Sounds like a familiare story, right?

So microsoft decided to forget about the original xbox (basically give up), and release a new xbox to get everyone's minds away from the modded original version. That's when the xbox 360 was released. And everyone eventually forgot about the original xbox and the mods, due to the fact that the new 360 had much better graphics and gameplay.

Then, tmbinc (reverse jtag engineering founder) founded the jtag hack. Brought it to microsoft and said "Let's launch Linux!". Microsoft turned him down. After that, he decided to release the "jtag" to the public. And here we are today. Every eighth member on Se7ensins has a jtagged box.

You can see the same pattern now-a-days. Microsoft just introduced the Xbox 360 slim. Which what I think is their method of patch. In microsoft's eyes, their hoping everyone catches on to the slim and forgets about the 360 and jtags.

Who knows what the future has in store for the jtag. Only time will tell.

That's just my opinion, feel free

D

Deleted member 117745

Reefer Smoker
Reaction score
Sin$
i wouldnt say "death of the jtag"... that is far too extreme. there will never be a "death of the jtag", maybe microsoft will find a way to ban jtags instantly, or the supply of keyvaults will simply run out, but that would only be the death of online jtagging. i agree with some of what you said, but you should understand there will NEVER be a death of the jtag 360.

Reactiionz

Reactiionz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
You have a good point, although i dont think microsoft is ready for a new xbox, at least not any time soon so i dont think we need to worry about losing jtags

T

techie

Reaction score
Sin$
You do know that the slim has been released right...

I think MS is ready to make a "new" xbox, if it's already been release. lol

vvSTRIDEvv

vvSTRIDEvv

Retired
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Will jtags ever get permanently banned? That's the question that is sweeping many modding sites forums around the globe.

I've decided to explain why jtags will most likely get banned from online use.

You can see the same pattern now-a-days. Microsoft just introduced the Xbox 360 slim. Which what I think is their method of patch. In microsoft's eyes, their hoping everyone catches on to the slim and forgets about the 360 and jtags.

Who knows what the future has in store for the jtag. Only time will tell.

That's just my opinion, feel free

So, if I've read this correctly.

Your telling us why you think they will be banned. But your explanation doesn't include banning anything. Followed by "Who knows"..so I'm friggin lost....

Nice 1st post though.

T

techie

Reaction score
Sin$
Jtags will die. There's no avoiding it.

We will run out of Keyvaults eventually. I didn't bother adding that to the post, that is common sense.

And yes I don't know what the future has in store for jtags. That's just my opinion. That's what my knowledge adds up to about a possible online "death" of the jtag. There's no guarantee.

Although... there is system link for life!

lol

G3arsofwar0wns

G3arsofwar0wns

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
What about the possibility of a new hack? or am i just way out of line there?

E

EclipseModz

VIP
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Have you forgotten that the 360 has much better security than the original xbox? Have you forgotten that the JTAG hack was patched already? That is has been patched for over a year now and was patched before the hack was even made public. The new 360 isn't a fix for the JTAG's. It has nothing to do with the JTAG's. Its just a new face for the 360 with a couple more features. Microsoft has already solved the JTAG issue. No new consoles can be modded. Consoles are banned within 4-5 hours of signing on with the hack. Microsoft has it under control.

Adv

Adv

GTA Guru
Premium
Forum Addict Hardened Veteran Frame In Gold
Reaction score
Sin$
Have you forgotten that the 360 has much better security than the original xbox? Have you forgotten that the JTAG hack was patched already? That is has been patched for over a year now and was patched before the hack was even made public. The new 360 isn't a fix for the JTAG's. It has nothing to do with the JTAG's. Its just a new face for the 360 with a couple more features. Microsoft has already solved the JTAG issue. No new consoles can be modded. Consoles are banned within 4-5 hours of signing on with the hack. Microsoft has it under control.
This.

2.0.8498.0 2009-08-11 Fixes a vulnerability used to run arbitrary code.

/thread

N

NeWz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Jtags will die. There's no avoiding it.

We will run out of Keyvaults eventually. I didn't bother adding that to the post, that is common sense.

And yes I don't know what the future has in store for jtags. That's just my opinion. That's what my knowledge adds up to about a possible online "death" of the jtag. There's no guarantee.

Although... there is system link for life!

lol

He is 100% right , kv's will end , there is no stopping it , ITS THE 2012 OF THE JTAGS!

J

Jro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
well its not an end for offline jtags so this thread fails because you are talking about online use and forgetting about what jtags were intended for

Sol Invictus

scopen4

Contributor
Reaction score
Sin$
If Microsoft really wanted to kill jtags they could physically destroy the xbox so that it rrods. When they start to do that then the end of jtags will begin.

GRUx KooLAiiD

GRUx KooLAiiD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
The real death of the Jtag will be when KVs run out

username22

username22

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
jtags were never ment to be played online, its a media center, mkvs games music pictures, all on one spot, whats bether then this ?
nothing

JTAG 4EVA

I Purple I

I Purple I

Se7en Swag
Reaction score
Sin$
Cheez says we wont run out out KVs for about 40,000 days i think.

E

EclipseModz

VIP
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
2005-Mid 2009 is a huge window of vulnerable 360's. KV's won't run out anytime soon.

Andzrej

AndzrejGFX

Contributor
Hardened Veteran Grammar Nazi Mr. Nice Guy
Reaction score
Sin$
Love how everyone's talking about the "death" of jtag's :rolleyes:
Yea, you can't make any new ones (past 2009)
For online, sure, you'll get banned pretty quick.
But if you use it as it was intended [offline]
they will never die.

Top Bottom
Login
Register