What's new

deadmau5's GTA V Ultimate Basic Modding Guide! (SP ONLY)

Arxhive

Arxhive

NØISEWΛVE
Hardened Veteran Seasoned Veteran Grizzled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
This ever-changing guide is intended to help players that are new to any kind of mod installation on GTA V. It will cover the basics such as mod installation, basic tools/programs needed, and where everything goes.
Top Sites For Mods:
Programs/Tools Required:
The first thing you're going to want to do is follow the readmes in ALL files and mods that you download. These are an invaluable tool in installations, and you want to make sure that you follow their instructions precisely.

Steps To Get Started:
  1. Install .NET Framework 4.5.2 and C++ Redis. 2015. Restart your computer.
  2. Drag and drop the decompressed (unzipped/unrar'd) files from ScripthookV and ScripthookV.NET to your main GTA V Directory. Like all Steam games, the files for your game will be stored within the SteamApps common folder. This folder is normally found in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\

If you do not find a folder titled “Grand Theft Auto V” within that location, follow these instructions:
    • Pop open Steam, and click Library
    • Right click on the “Grand Theft Auto V” item within your library, and click on “Properties”
    • Click on the “Local Files” tab
    • Click on “Browse Local Files”
    Steam will then open the folder where GTA 5’s files have been stored, at this point you should note down where that is to make the mod installation process easier.
  3. Install OpenIV and then run it as administrator. I cannot stress this enough. Every time you open OpenIV is must be run as an Administrator. After it opens, select "GTA V for Windows." It should then ask you to locate your main GTA V directory. You should already know where that is by now.
  4. When OpenIV is open, click Tools>ASI Manager. Make sure everything is installed.
You should be set! Now, there are two ways you can modify your GTA V files (anything that's not a script mod such as car mods, audio mods, etc.) One way is using a Mods folder, and the other is to replace/edit files directly:
  1. The latest version of OpenIV and OpenIV.ASI provide support for a mods folder that can be very useful in the following cases:

• You have a DVD or Rockstar Games Warehouse version of GTA V and every time you edit files, the Launcher downloads original files back;
    • You want to leave the original GTA V files unmodified;
    • You want to have a fast way to switch between original and modified files.
    Required software:
    • OpenIV (2.6.3 or newer)
    • OpenIV.ASI (1.1 or newer)
    • GTA V ASI LOADER (build “May 2 2015” or newer)
    Instruction:
    1 – Download and install OpenIV. Configure it to work with your copy of GTAV.
    2 – Navigate to ASI Manager using menu “Tools” > “ASI Manager” or “ASI Manager” button on tool bar.

00.gif

Through ASI Manager, you can install, update or remove ASI Loader and OpenIV ASI plugins.
    3 – Install ASI Loader and OpenIV.ASI
    01.gif

4 – Open your GTA V folder in File Explorer; you can do it quickly in OpenIV
    02.png

5 – In root of your GTA V folder create new folder and name if mods (lower case)
    03.png

6 – Now you have to copy RPF archives into mods folder. For example, if you want to modify Grand Theft Auto V\update\update.rpf you need to copy it like Grand Theft Auto V\mods\update\update.rpf.
    04.png

The following table is explain how you need to copy archives to mods folder. The path to RPF archive in mods folder must be the same as in real GTA Vfolder, here is some examples:

Grand Theft Auto V – Original archive path Path in “mods” folder
    GTAV\update\update.rpf GTAV\mods\update\update.rpf
    GTAV\common.rpf GTAV\mods\common.rpf
    GTAV\x64\audio\sfx\SCRIPT.rpf GTAV\mods\x64\audio\sfx\SCRIPT.rpf
    GTAV\update\x64\dlcpacks\mpheist\dlc.rpf GTAV\mods\update\x64\dlcpacks\mpheist\dlc.rpf
    GTAV\x64e.rpf GTAV\mods\x64e.rpf
    7 – From this point if you want to install mod or edit some file you need to do it in archive from mods folder.

05.png

Now all your mods will be in separated folder, and original files will stay not modified.
    If you want to switch back to original files just go to ASI Manager and remove OpenIV.ASI. In addition, you can remove ASI Loader to disable all ASI plugins that you have installed.
    You can use ASI Manager any time to switch between mods and original game. You no need to remove mods folder every time.

06.gif
  2. Edit the files in their respective locations (usually outlined by mod readmes) directly. (NOT RECOMMENDED UNLESS YOUR GTA IS AN "ARRGH MATEY" COPY)
Now That You Have A Basic Knowledge of OpenIV, Let's Install a Test Mod Together!
For this portion of the tutorial, we'll be replacing the Zentorno with the Lamborghini Aventador LP700-4 created by YCA-RE. (DOWNLOAD)(Virus Scan). We will NOT be using the "mods" folder.
  1. The first thing you want to do is download the file and unzip it in an easy-to-remember location. (I use My Documents\GTAMODS\CARMODS\LAMBO)
  2. Run OpenIV as Administrator and select GTA V for Windows.
  3. Your GTA V main directory should pop up. (You should see a sidebar with things such as common, x64e.rpf, etc. If you don't, you did something wrong.)
  4. Click "Edit Mode" in the OpenIV top bar. Confirm.
  5. Navigate over to \update\x64\dlcpacks\patchday3ng\dlc.rpf\x64\levels\gta5\vehicles.rpf\
  6. Right click, then click "Add", then using the file browser, navigate to the Lamborghini files' location on your computer.
  7. Select "zentorno.yft", "zentorno.ytd" and "zentorno_hi.yft" and then click "Open".
  8. To confirm you have installed the basic Lamborghini files, double click "zentorno.yft" in OpenIV. You should see a basic Lamborghini model. (NOTE: Not all vehicle models will show in OpenIV, sometimes you will see no model at all. This is normally ok.)
  9. Now, once again using the OpenIV sidebar, navigate to \x64w.rpf\dlcpacks\mpbusiness2\dlc.rpf\x64\levels\mpbusiness2\vehiclemods
  10. Right click, click "Add", and then select "zentorno_mods.rpf". Click "Open".
  11. Navigate to \update\update.rpf\dlc_patch\mpbusiness2\common\data\levels\gta5\
  12. Right click, Add, "vehicles.meta", open.
  13. For the last step, this varies on whether your copy is not-so-legal or not. Most files don't have this option, but I'll let you follow the readme for this one. You should be competent enough to be able to install "carcols.meta" using the readme as a guide.
  14. Boot up GTA V and use Native Trainer to spawn a Zentorno to see if it worked!
Using bilago's Mod Manager
Video Tutorial:

This thread is still a massive work in progress, and will soon include more tutorials for script mods, map mods, picture guides and more! Feedback is much appreciated.
Credit:
OpenIV Image Tutorial by OpenIV Support.
Mod Manager tutorial by bilago

Changelog:
9/19/15@14:31EST-Added Tutorial on bilago's Mod Manager.

Last edited:
Hulk

Hulk

️ ️ ️ ️ ️ ️ ️ ️ ️ ️ ️
Administrator
Trifecta Odysseus' Summit MotM
Reaction score
Sin$
Very nice guide. Should help many people who are just starting off. Looking forward to seeing more info.

Keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

N

NotMyPSNgt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Thank you for this. Can the mods which use Open IV be used in conjunction with a mod manager?

N

NotMyPSNgt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Do you have any mods that are worth checking out?

Also, I am looking for a mod that shows all the extra things in the game: Letter Scraps, Nuclear Wastes, etc. I can't seem to find one that has that. Does anyone else know of something like that?

Last edited:
GTA Imperium

GTA Imperium

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
Is LSPDFR 0.2b still working for the newest GTAV PC patch?

witch_snowy

witch_snowy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
This might be a dumb question, but does it matter if you did not get your game from Steam? I bought mine from Green Man Gaming. thanks!

Flying Scotsman

Flying Scotsman

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
This might be a dumb question, but does it matter if you did not get your game from Steam? I bought mine from Green Man Gaming. thanks!

Regarding mods - doesn't matter what version of the game you have (Steam or NO_STEAM I.E. Disk, Warehouse edition or Social Club edition (GoG etc) it'll work regardless.

Top Bottom
Login
Register