What's new

Discussion Cross-play Between PC and Xbox One - Is It a Good Idea?

Adolfin

Adolfin

Your Mom's Favourite VIP
VIP
Retired
Odysseus' Summit End of the Year 2018 Platinum Record
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Personally I believe that having players on both PC and Xbox One being able to play together is a good thing in theory, however the competitive advantage that PC users would have using KB+M is definitely a concern. One thing that can be done to fix this would be to add aim assist for users with a controller; however I personally believe there will still be an advantage to users playing on the PC.

What are your thoughts on cross-play for PUBG?

Cakes

Cakes

お前はもう死んでいる
VIP
Retired
Mythical Veteran Platinum Record End of the Year 2017
Reaction score
Sin$
Personally I believe that having players on both PC and Xbox One being able to play together is a good thing in theory, however the competitive advantage that PC users would have using KB+M is definitely a concern. One thing that can be done to fix this would be to add aim assist for users with a controller; however I personally believe there will still be an advantage to users playing on the PC.

Cross-play for any FPS between PC and console would be a bad idea for the same reasons. KB/M > controller, and there's FOV, frames, response, etc. I think for a game like PUBG, it wouldn't work well enough unless the console versions had a serious handicap. But then what would that mean in terms of skill? Would a console player actually be better than a PC player if they have to use all of those "handicaps"? So on and so forth. I don't think we'll really see "fair" cross-play for a while.

I do hope that we start to see it in more games, though.

Golly

Golly

Stay Humble
Beginning of An Odyssey Fabled Veteran Bright Idea
Reaction score
Sin$

You really want my opinion? I seriously don't think this game should come out on Xbox. I mean if it did I'd hope they wouldn't make it cross platform like you stated in this post because that would take away the competitive fun for us PC players. But I don't think it should come out on Xbox because I wish'd they would focus more on the PC stand point right now, Yes. I am sure they aren't even thinking about the Xbox version right now but they did mention it would come out.

Cakes

Cakes

お前はもう死んでいる
VIP
Retired
Mythical Veteran Platinum Record End of the Year 2017
Reaction score
Sin$
You really want my opinion? I seriously don't think this game should come out on Xbox. I mean if it did I'd hope they wouldn't make it cross platform like you stated in this post because that would take away the competitive fun for us PC players. But I don't think it should come out on Xbox because I wish'd they would focus more on the PC stand point right now, Yes. I am sure they aren't even thinking about the Xbox version right now but they did mention it would come out.
I believe the Xbox One version of the game is going to be an "early access" version of the game, not a "full" release, when it comes out. And it's definitely going to remain in development for a long time. From what I saw, the devs are only focusing on the PC and Xbox One versions of the game currently (no mentioned plans for other platforms, however the Xbox@ID guy said that PUBG would be a "launch exclusive" on Xbox, probably meaning that it can end up on other platforms). I would imagine that they have 2 teams of people working on the game, and that the Xbox One version is a port of the PC version (meaning the PC version would probably have higher priority?).

All of that is just my speculation, though. Anything could happen. But as long as the game remains in an early access state, we shouldn't have to worry too much about getting screwed over. It's when it gets fully released that we have to worry.

Gardzz

Gardzz

Hollywood's Bleeding
Retired
Bright Idea Forum Addict Mr. Nice Guy
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
To be honest it doesn't bother me that much, I will prefer for people to get it for PC, as IMO it will be so much better, but I do like playing with other people. Think it will be the same as RL though, you won't be able to team on cross platform, just matchmake with them.

Adolfin

Adolfin

Your Mom's Favourite VIP
VIP
Retired
Odysseus' Summit End of the Year 2018 Platinum Record
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
There's 2 development teams working on the different versions of the game. The original team is continuing to work on the PC version, a new team are developing the Xbox version with the help of Microsoft. (I believe)

Golly

Golly

Stay Humble
Beginning of An Odyssey Fabled Veteran Bright Idea
Reaction score
Sin$
There's 2 development teams working on the different versions of the game. The original team is continuing to work on the PC version, a new team are developing the Xbox version with the help of Microsoft. (I believe)
Ah okay good! Didn't mean to sound like a selfish PC player but I don't know just doesn't seem like it would be a good console game.

Selena Gomez

Selena Gomez

Retired
Retired
Video Connoisseur CotM Beginning of An Odyssey
Reaction score
Sin$
Nahhhhh, already enough players on PC that we'll be gucci without console plebs.

Carrotkilla

Carrotkilla

Reaction score
Sin$
Personally I think it'd be trash. Purely because the mass majority of XB1 players would just get slaughtered and drop the standard of playing on PC. KB/M will always rule supreme on these sorts of games. Let alone delving into factors talking about FPS, View distance, being able to change graphics to make it easier to spot people (foliage & textures etc). When it is released on console maybe they should try cross platform with Sony, making it a bigger audience and possibly avoid the 3 month hype going down into a ditch.

AlienFreek01

AlienFreek01

Now with fries
Reaction score
Sin$
I agree with everyone else, its a bad idea, for any competitive type game. For games like rocket league its perfect, but there are too many advantages a player on a PC would have over Xbox, KB/M is only the tip of it.
When it is released on console maybe they should try cross platform with Sony.
I agree cross play between the two consoles would be ideal for almost any game, but developing that ability and finding a way for Sony to get their heads out of their a** would be extremely difficult.

L

LawlessBaron

A myth
Retired
Legendary Veteran Programmer Scaling the Mountain
Reaction score
Sin$
No way never pc would most likely have a massive advantage but saying that it could go both ways with the right measures in place

Holy Jesus

Holy Jesus

Drunk MOTY 2011-14
Contest Sponsor Grammar Nazi Platinum Record
Reaction score
Sin$
It's a great idea if you're a PC player because there's absolutely no way that gun play can be as accurate on a controller as it is with K&M.

D

Denis Guba

Reaction score
Sin$
Id sure only allow PC players play with Xbone players if they had a controller plugged in. If they unplug the controller then it would tell them to plug it back in

Acro

Acro

**Insert badass text here**
Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Honestly, IMO. The xbox players will get slaughtered although I feel the should have there own servers. Maybe merge it with Sony? That's if it is going to be on playstation...

Four Quid

Four Quid

Wolf in Sheep's Clothing
Contest Sponsor Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
I play on PC with Controller and have over 4 K/D. Although it may be easier for some PC gamers to use K+M. I've never found it difficult to be competitive on the PC using a Controller.

Nigity

Nigity

512Mb Jasper Jtag
Reaction score
Sin$
Have You Considered The Fact That With Pc You Just Have To Have $$ And You can Pretty Much Mod Everygame.

L

LawlessBaron

A myth
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Unless there's some sort of parameters put into play but it would be way unfair in my opinion

Skepta

Skepta

Go on then, Go on then
VIP
Retired
End of the Year 2017 Platinum Record Scaling the Mountain
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Unless there's some sort of parameters put into play but it would be way unfair in my opinion
match keyboard and mouse with keyboard and mouse, match controller with controller thats all they need to do

L

LawlessBaron

A myth
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
match keyboard and mouse with keyboard and mouse, match controller with controller thats all they need to do
Make it so no one can join the game unless either is being used

Top Bottom
Login
Register