• Thread starter cameron thomas
  • Start date
  • Views 421
C

cameron thomas

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Ive got an amd phenom II x4 965 that needs better cooling. Because well, underclocked to 3 Ghz at full load its hitting 65 celcius, which is the recommended max temperature. Im looking to clock it up to 3.8, but it hits the low 70's after 60 seconds on full load. Im looking at the arctic freezer xtreme revision 2, and it looks like a good cooler. Does anyone have a way to confirm my theory? or any cheap cooler recommendations? Im looking to spend less than $55

Cryptid

Cryptid

Stickied Grizzled Veteran Grammar Nazi
Reaction score
Sin$
I dont much like the idea of possibly having a tube rupture then fry my setup, so air cooling is the way im leaning. on a side note, that is an amazing gif you have there:smile:

Thank you for the gif compliment! But personally I'd be less worried about liquid cooling causing a problem than I would be with a fan. I understand the worry about liquid cooling causing a problem, but personally I've had it in my PC(s) for...5 years now? Never once had a problem with liquid cooling. Fans, however, if they're hopped up to really counter an intense gaming session, could potentially have a "stress fracture" and snap, causing cooling issues and potentially harming quite a few things within the PC. It's sort of a "pick your poison" type of choice when it comes down to it. Although the chance of a line rupturing or a fan snapping are very, very slim, either way you choose.

C

cameron thomas

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Thank you for the gif compliment! But personally I'd be less worried about liquid cooling causing a problem than I would be with a fan. I understand the worry about liquid cooling causing a problem, but personally I've had it in my PC(s) for...5 years now? Never once had a problem with liquid cooling. Fans, however, if they're hopped up to really counter an intense gaming session, could potentially have a "stress fracture" and snap, causing cooling issues and potentially harming quite a few things within the PC. It's sort of a "pick your poison" type of choice when it comes down to it. Although the chance of a line rupturing or a fan snapping are very, very slim, either way you choose.

ah you mustve got one of the better closed loop systems then. because when i was looking at one there were alot of people saying that it sprang leaks frequently. so how difficult would you say it was to find the space for 2 fans and a radiator in your case?

Cryptid

Cryptid

Stickied Grizzled Veteran Grammar Nazi
Reaction score
Sin$
ah you mustve got one of the better closed loop systems then. because when i was looking at one there were alot of people saying that it sprang leaks frequently. so how difficult would you say it was to find the space for 2 fans and a radiator in your case?

Not very hard at all, really.

InfectHead

InfectHead

Strip the flesh, salt the wound!
End of the Year 2012 MotM Grammar Nazi
Reaction score
Sin$
ok well ill see if i can squeeze the few extra dollars in my budget to get the one you recommended then, thanks for all the help

The Thermaltake Water 2.0 Performer performs pretty much on par with the Xigmatek Dark Knight when the fans are on high, and when the fans are on low the Thermaltake is louder but cools better, whilst the Xigmatek is quieter but cools worse.

Top Bottom
Login
Register