What's new

Solved couple questions.

T

thecerb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Just have a couple questions before I start buying.

Should I buy a case last? ( worried about buying it first and having to limit myself on what will fit)
Looking at a full tower so I dont think I will have space issues. But wanted to buy one first so I can out the parts in as I get them.

Crossfire or Sli? Havent owned a good pc in a while
and I only have experience with nvidia cards. I know with sli you have to have the same cards but rhats the only thing I could find thats different.

Should I buy 2 small ssd or one big one ? Thinking it woild be better to have to os on one and everything I download on another but idk.

intel or amd? I want the i7 but an amd equivalent might be better.

Does the motherboard manufacturer really matter?
I really like Asus's **** but theres other boards that I cheaper. Im assuming you get what you pay for tho.

Thanks for the answers and opinions are welcome.

L

Legless

Be spontaneous, be kind, be open-minded.
Reaction score
Sin$

Should I buy a case last? ( worried about buying it first and having to limit myself on what will fit)
Looking at a full tower so I dont think I will have space issues. But wanted to buy one first so I can out the parts in as I get them.

and I only have experience with nvidia cards. I know with sli you have to have the same cards but rhats the only thing I could find thats different.

Should I buy 2 small ssd or one big one ? Thinking it woild be better to have to os on one and everything I download on another but idk.

I really like Asus's **** but theres other boards that I cheaper. Im assuming you get what you pay for tho.

If you use a site like pcpartpicker.com it has a compatiblity filter so you don't have to worry about that.

It depends on your budget.

1 big SSD + HDD.

Yes it does.

T

thecerb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
So if I have the budget should I buy crossfire or sli?

Last edited:
GENeTiCz xx

GENeTiCz xx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$

1) You never buy parts separate when doing a complete build. If you order at different times, you'll never be able to test until you have all of your parts, and you'll have to RMA anything broken. So you'll be waiting even longer, and you'll have a mess. Set a budget, save money, and buy all of your parts at one time.

2) Crossfire (CX) or SLI is both the same. Multiple GPU's. CX= AMD. SLI=Nvidia...

3) Samsung has these amazing SSD EVO drives. They have the speed of an SSD, but storage of an HDD. You can get a 1tb for roughly $400-$500, which is an amazing price.... All you need though is a 128gb SSD boot drive. I suggest the Samsung 840 or 850 series. Then, for your main storage of games/major programs, you'll just need a 1tb HDD or more if you'd like. I suggest WD Black drives.

4) My experience with AMD CPU's is they tend to bog down while under heavy load, but I never had a top tier AMD CPU. I love my i5 2500k, and has done me wonders. Can't speak or suggest on this, except for recommend an i5 CPU for main priority of gaming, or i7 for a big focus on multi threaded programs.

5) Mother Board facture does actually matter. Stick with the bigger named companies. There are a few brother/sister companies from big well known companies. ASROCk for example... I have an ASUS board, and a top tier one at that, but I had issues from day one. Resulted in RMA, and incompatible sound drivers out the ***. Just from my experience, Love my GPU from them though.

I think I covered everything you've asked, but if not. Just let me know, or ask away anything else you'd like to know.

Ninja Turtle

Ninja Turtle

Its all Gucci
Reaction score
Sin$
Thanks for the help.

What do yall think of this?
would you change anything?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/JYfqWZ
if its only for gaming, 8gb of ram will do you just fine, and i dont think you need a 750w psu, seems like overkill, but thats just my opinion.
i believe an i7 for gaming is overkill too, at least from what i have heard, not 100% sure on that, i use amd

GENeTiCz xx

GENeTiCz xx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Thanks for the help.

What do yall think of this?
would you change anything?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/JYfqWZ

What's your main focus of this build? Gaming primarily or are you going to be using multi-threaded programs alot?

For gaming, swap out the i7 for the i5. It performs on par with the i7 as far as gaming... Swap out windows 8 for 7. My preference though, and if you have any room. Throw in a 1tb WD Black HDD. You'll need more storage than just a SDD. Make SSD a boot drive, and save all your games and big files onto your HDD. If it's not in your price range, get rid of the Sound Card. Your onboard audio will do you justice, and won't be bad at all with a top tier motherboard.

T

thecerb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
if its only for gaming, 8gb of ram will do you just fine, and i dont think you need a 750w psu, seems like overkill, but thats just my opinion.
i believe an i7 for gaming is overkill too, at least from what i have heard, not 100% sure on that, i use amd

Yeah I like overkill. Primarily gaming but I want to futureproof it as much as possible.
What's your main focus of this build? Gaming primarily or are you going to be using multi-threaded programs alot?

For gaming, swap out the i7 for the i5. It performs on par with the i7 as far as gaming... Swap out windows 8 for 7. My preference though, and if you have any room. Throw in a 1tb WD Black HDD. You'll need more storage than just a SDD. Make SSD a boot drive, and save all your games and big files onto your HDD. If it's not in your price range, get rid of the Sound Card. Your onboard audio will do you justice, and won't be bad at all with a top tier motherboard.

Yeah I forgot to add another hard drive. I want ro get the i7 just so I don't need to upgrade alot/sooner. I can afford it.

GENeTiCz xx

GENeTiCz xx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Yeah I like overkill. Primarily gaming but I want to futureproof it as much as possible.

Yeah I forgot to add another hard drive. I want ro get the i7 just so I don't need to upgrade alot/sooner. I can afford it.

You can't really "future proof," a PC build, but if you want to stick with all of that then do it. It won't change your gaming performance at all, but I would go i5 and up the GPU to a 980.

denz

denz

The Kingslayer
Retired
MotM End of the Year 2014 Trifecta
Reaction score
Sin$

Yes and No. Either choose a case you want to and stick to those sizes or choose parts then get the case to fit everything.

Crossfire/Sli are great for higher than 1080p resolutions like 1440p. For most cases at 1080p going for the best single GPU is the best idea.

Up to you..

I5 is superior to AMD but more expensive.

Not really as long as it's a decent manufacturer.

Top Bottom
Login
Register